1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do/did you find your passions?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Burnedcloset, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Burnedcloset

Bonus question: what are your passions?

Asking because I still don't have any passions/dreams what so ever.

2. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Last year I was struggling with this question as well, and this book makes me feel better

So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love: Cal Newport: 8601401349426: Amazon.com: Books

"Finding" your passion in a flash of insight is a fairy-tale, many people have no idea what their passions/dreams are. You cannot find passion, but you can certainly develop a passion. Let take photography for example. When you first start it, it's just as an interest. As you invest time in perfecting your skills, you will develop a knack for it. The better you get, the more you enjoy it. Soon, you can't imagine a life without a camera.

Another way to find things that you have potentially interest in is to examine your childhood and values. I choose maritime field because I like the sea and I want something which offers a sense of freedom, adventures and novelty.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have several interests and passions. Some I can name without thinking too much are filmmaking, urban exploring, history, language, and astronomy to name a few.

I found out I had a love for filmmaking after seeing indie short films on Youtube and had lots of fun making AMVs on my earlier accounts and started writing stories I hoped to adapt into scripts later on.

With urban exploring (or urbexing) I haven't been able to a lot due to my limitations has been urban exploring, which started one night after going to a local abandoned sanitarium with a few friends. After that, I started looking into local places and started interacting with urbexing groups online in the hopes of finding a local chapter of explorers. I don't think there is one here, but it would be nice to form one. For me, my love for urbexing connects to my love of history. When you see past the vandalism, the walls and surroundings always have a unique story to tell, one that I love uncovering with each trip.

I'm not sure where my passion from history really came from. All aspects hold my interest in some way. With the past 40 years, it's mostly with my love for pop culture. If I had to say my favorite time periods to look into, anything really prior to the 1400s keeps me attention the most. I'm more interested in ancient cultures, civilizations, and empires more than the basic text book stuff that we all were told about Europe. If you toss me a text book on the Roman Empire, a video on the Vikings or Norse deities, or told me recent news regarding the Sentinelese or archeology uncoverings; you've got my attention fast. This also includes language and religion; be it extinct, endangered, or obscure. I can spend hours on Wikipedia trying to learn more about say, the history of Iceland's first settlers or Judaism's roots to other religions.

I don't know where astronomy came from, but I know I was in preschool or kindergarten when it started, when I told myself I'd end up working for NASA one day. Despite being terrified of voids, studying the stars and other celestial bodies has been one of my favorite things to focus my attention on. I used to try to map out the position of the stars and point out constellations depending on the season, which I thought I was decent at for a bit. Astronomy still holds my interest, but I haven't looked into things (specifically recent news) in a while.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For as long as I can remember, I've had writing. As a kid, I wrote short stories and then as I grew up I tried writing novels. I didn't actually finish one until I was 15. I may have taken some breaks and given up a couple of times, but I always come back to it.

My passion for horses is a bit of a strange story. I've been told by my mom that I grew up terrified of horses. I'd cry non-stop on pony rides and refuse to touch horses at the fair. I don't remember any of it and it's embarrassing for me to hear it now. When I was about eleven, my dad took me to the house of a friend with two horses. He asked me if I wanted to ride and--God only knows why--I said yes and fell in love. I read every horse book that I could get my hands on and, a few years later, started taking riding lessons.

Psychology I discovered as a high school senior, when an AP Psych class was offered taught by my second favorite teacher. I loved the class and started doing outside reading. Two weeks into college, when I realized business was not for me, I switched my major to psychology.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's either writing or repairing stuff/knowledge about how stuff works.

How did I 'found' it? Well, writing found me. Repairing stuff came naturally 'cause an electronic object making weird noises and showing flashy colours just has to awake a child's desire to open it, see what's inside and modify it.

You don't 'go search for your passion', you just got it and need to find out what is it.

6. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I feel like my passion found me. I didn't know that I was going to love history and politics and all that. I just realized that I really love learning about the world, other people, other cultures, and how countries are run and the mistakes that leaders have made in the past. It soon sort of told me that some day, I'm going to have to work in that field; it's partly driven by the desire to make the world a better place, which probably comes from the fact that I've lived in many different places, including a third world country. As long as it deals with other peoples, cultures, and relations between them, I'm going to be interested.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My biggest passion is my faith in christ and trying to bridge the divide my religion has caused people. Religion and politics all together have divided America greatly if we could all unite around the same goals we can make it a better world. There are way too many stereotypes, misconceptions and assumptions made about groups of people and also thanks to the media liberal or conservative it has teared this world apart. I am passionate about developing unity within people and sometimes I like to challenge those on both sides of a point view cause in a lot of situations whether it is talking to one atheist who thinks all christians are bigots or talking to christens who believe all homosexuals are going to hell and I am very passionate about it because I am stuck in the middle of it as a gay christian. Don't get me wrong I am not saying all atheists are like that or all christians are bigots but I am saying some issues are way too divisive for the wrong reasons and I like to engage both sides peacefully and constructively without forcing them to completely change their deeply held beliefs.

8. biisme

When I was trying to decide what to go to college for, I focused on my passion for baking. And I loved my school, everything I learned, and I really do love baking. Buuuuttt, I'm back in school because after I graduated I realized that while I love baking, I don't want to work in a restaurant / bakery. I don't want to work in a kitchen. I'm still passionate about baking, and I do it for friends and family, but it wasn't meant to be my life's work.

Other things I am passionate about:

Reading
    I have always loved to read. A good book can erase all problems and worries, and reading is definitely something I am passionate about.

DIY
    Within the last few years or so I've discovered my love for woodworking / remodeling. I love working with my hands. This past Christmas I built a clock that looks like a railroad crossing sign, that has a train whistle on the hour. On my crazy days I imagine building a house from scratch. On my less crazy days I just imagine renovating a whole house. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I cannot wait to own my own house and fix it up.

Antiquing
    Similar to the last one, but I love antiquing and finding awesome deals on amazing stuff! Whenever my friends need cheap furniture I am all over antique shops / thrift stores / craigslist looking for stuff.

Sometimes I feel that I want to do too many things. I want to do so much with my life, and some of it is super contradictory! I want to do all of the following things at the same time: live out West and own a ranch, live in Rhode Island with my family, renovate houses, bake cakes out of my house, write a novel, travel the world, have kids, have a workshop on my property to build furniture, get into acting, be a teacher, own horses, live in a Victorian house, build a stone house by hand....

I want do everything!