1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

giving up on meat

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by yaoicore, Jun 13, 2015.

1. GarbageKnight

My roommate is vegan and my partner is vegetarian so I pretty much don't eat meat or fish at all, except pretty rarely when I'm out to eat and can't substitute for something.

I honestly did used to wonder what it would be like to not eat meat and I thought it would be harder than it is! Most times I don't really miss it at all and it now sometimes even grosses me out a little bit.

2. pinecones

Nice! I was vegan for a couple years but I couldn't keep it up because of some other complications. My roommate is vegetarian, though.

3. ThatFrostyGuy

One thing feel I must say about going vegan is you MUST eat fungus of some sort, mushrooms,quorn or tofu among other things, unless a you eat A LOT of green vegetables.

This is because of lysine, an essential amino acid (your body can't synthesize it), that plants only have trace amounts of. Animal and fungal cells, being similar, contain adequate amounts of lysine.

Vegetarians are ok because dairy contains lysine, and while legumes and soy also contain lysine they lack other essential amino acids, like threonine.

While I would always recommend being as vegetarian as possible (unless you're an athlete or do sport), veganism is a dodgy game. We're designed to eat meat.

4. BiKate

Veganism can be and is very healthy for most people. There's still debate about whether we're designed to eat meat, but you can be just as healthy without it. And I don't think dairy is really any good for anyone, it's another animals breast milk and no other animal consumes breast milk as much as humans do as adults. They're are plenty of vegetarian and vegan athletes out there. Apparently humans can't absorb vitamins etc from animal products as well as plant foods, so I think no matter whether you eat meat or not it's important to just have a healthy diet in general. And go get tests done at the doctors if you're ever worried.

Anyway, I'll crawl back into my lentil and potato cave now, I so don't want to have a vegan debate on such a nice forum :lol:

5. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was vegan for almost 8 years and I got into complications, I couldn't keep it up anymore.

6. ChameleonSoul

Good for you! I've been a vegetarian for 5 years and haven't eaten meat or bone-char sugar and haven't used leather ever since. I've also thought about cutting eggs and dairy too as thinking about what they are and where they come from kind of grosses me out. I don't think I could ever go full vegan though since I have an unhealthy obsession with honey.

7. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it! I am a vegan too. Well. I'm like Diet-Flux. If it is going to waste and I KNOW I don't have any other food (like living on board a ship where there is often no viable vegetarian option) I will eat meat or milk and eggs but 95% of the time or more I am vegan. So I understand it. I'm glad you're considering it. :slight_smile: although I had a much harder time coming out as vegetarian than as pansexual so. Haha. Never be ashamed is all I can say