1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is race important in dating?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by robotman, Jun 12, 2015.

?

Do you care?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2015.
  1. I don't care what race they are :).

35 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. I am only attracted to people from a certain background (race/religion).

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. I do care what race people are, I am only attracted to a certain race.

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. I am open to all, personality is what counts.

39 vote(s)
    40.2%
  5. I don't know what I like and what I don't like, I just like whatever, don't question me lol.

13 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. Lyana

I very much dislike the word race. I feel like it implies things it shouldn't. What is race even supposed to be?

I tried translating the question "Is race important in dating?" into French in my head, and it sounded awful. It sounds so much more racist in French, and I think it's because I've hardly ever heard anyone say the word race in French outside of history classes about Hitler's ideology of the "Aryan race." I'd never realized that before, but no one could ask that question in French and not be taken for an asshole.
    I'm not saying it's better or worse, just something to consider.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't see skin color. Kind of like I see gender, but it doesn't determine whether or not I'd be willing to date someone. I do have preferences for certain physical characteristics, but they're just preferences, the way I prefer black hair but I've crushed on some seriously hot blondes and I've dated people with brown hair.

The thing is, I definitely have a thing for people who are different. I feel like there's more possibility for exchange and learning, and that's a thing I'm big on. Race itself doesn't matter, but a different cultural background is intriguing to me. If you also speak a different language, then that's a bonus.

2. Timoteo Viola

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm not racist but I am only attracted to a few races. A usefully tip I use is findingout if I'm attracted to them is by asking tye colour of their dick. If there dick is black / brown, I'm not attracted to them but if theyre white / tan sort of colour then its good. The darkest I like is Brazilian. Im not attracted Asian though. I dunno why that is though. I wouldn't care about religion unless its like Muslim/Hindu.I guess I only like Christians or Jews, but not the devoted ones. I generally prefer atheist though, because religion gets in the way.

3. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh, it doesn't matter to me as long as they have a great personality. My father and mother would have an issue if I brought a black guy home buuut they already have an issue with me bringing a guy home soooooo it really doesn't make a difference.

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Race would not keep me from dating someone I'm attracted to; however, my attraction has preferences for certain races, I've noticed. I tend to lean European, American, or Asian.

5. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't care about race, everyone is beautiful. My preferences, attractions are another story.

6. yayforthelgbt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I picked "I don't know what I like and what I don't like, I just like whatever, don't question me lol" because I didn't know what else to put. I wouldn't mind dating anyone of any race, because race does not determine personality. However, when it comes to who I find more attractive sexually? The same race as me (white.) I can however find anyone of any race attractive, I just normally find white guys the most attractive. However, I see some hate on dark skin but I think dark skin is beautiful. ^_^

7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah. I dont really have any preferences at all when it comes to a potential partner's appearance. Skin colour, hair colour, height, private bits, idgaf. Having an attractive personality is way more important to me.

In terms of culture, I almost think it would be more fun to date someone of a different background. Culture is interesting, and I'm sure it would be a great learning experience.

#27 Batman, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  8. C P

C P

Oh how I try to have willpower to keep away from these threads, but I wanted to reply to this bit:

Just like any group of people, gay people can be just as bigoted, prejudiced, racist, sexist, ya di da as anybody else. Them knowing what being ostracized is like doesn't matter to people like this. They simply don't care.

I speak from experience as well. Where I live, if you don't fit the checklist of the gods in the 'gay community', which includes that you are of the light-skinned variety(dare I say it tends to register as white more so than anything else) or nobody wants to talk to you, let alone date you.

So while it has no say in which -I- hold interest in, unfortunately, yes, it is important to a good number of people.

9. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, just wanted to say that people have their preferences and having them doesn't make you a racist.

For me personally, I don't factor race into attraction. It really doesn't matter to me at all. Might be because I've always lived in very diverse areas, but I'm not sure. Either way, it's just a factor for me.

10. C P

C P

Not sure if this post was in reference to mine or not but, just to (re-)clarify myself, ...hence why I went into detail. The two may be separate, but they are linked all too often around where I live(which is what I was particularly noting).

I couldn't care less if someone wasn't attracted to me because I'm black, nor would I consider that as automatic racism. If it goes further and prevents you from simply speaking to me, among other things that should have nothing to do with attraction, guess what? I'm sorry to inform you(actually, I'm not), but there is racism present. That thing is far too common with the more local 'community'.

11. BelleFromHell

I don't care. There are cute girls of every race, and I care more about personality anyway.

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen cute girls of multiple races, so I think I'm pretty openminded. I currently have a crush on a Japanese girl, and I've liked a black girl and a Mexican girl. So yeah, lol.

Edit: I'll also add that I usually picture myself with someone of my own race. I have my preferences, but I'm not really that picky about it.

#32 YuriBunny, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  13. ApexxShadow

As long as they're a good person with a good personality, it doesn't matter.

14. MORTAL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Very good point and one that's frequently misconstrued.

15. Gen

Gen

Racial preferences? Possibly not. Racial requirements? I would beg to differ.

There is a different between claiming that someone is most often attracted to Asians and they are not attractive Latinos. Not only is the latter a ignorant statement because the speaker is referring to Latinos as though they are monolithic when there are Latinos of all colors, features, influences, etc. The desire of an individual to say that they are never attracted to or would never date a member of a certain race does not lend to them being very thoughtful, openminded individuals.

You cannot claim to never be attracted to demographics that consist of billions of people without claiming that they are monolithic. There is simply no other way.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really care what their background is. Personality and personal interests are what matter to me.

17. SilkySilhouette

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Race/religion/gender/etc are not important. Love is love after all.
    Of course, you can't be 20 and be in a relationship with someone who is 60.
    Age and personality are what count to me.

18. LiamP

As a Black Male I personally can't see Race when I meet people I have a personal mission in life to educate people on tolerance with regards to racism etc I feel like we like to consider ourselves "Generation X" but we act like Race is still a determine factor.

I'll be here just changing these misconceptions one day at a time if its the last thing I do.:thumbsup::smilewave

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Preference? Yeah, I can see that. But REQUIRING that anybody you date be the same race as you is definitely racist, and I see it around where I live every day. There are many people who for a lack of a better term, "will only date their kind". Racism definitely still exists in rural America, not only systemically, but also on an individual basis.

20. MORTAL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My point was that people who state that they have a racial preference are often perceived as being ignorant racists--which is definitely plausible, given that some are unnecessarily more forward about it--or bigoted but it's not always the case. In reality, some people just like other people more, but really, it's their loss.