1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does becoming a celebrity means giving up on education?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonybg, Jun 12, 2015.

1. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

I wonder if well-known people stop studying when they get famous or they do both things at once? Well, does that make them stupider than one university graduate, for instance? Do they always live luxurious lives, regardless not going to school? And can they make an actual living out of their fame?

2. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No they still have to do school work

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So what about Natalie Portman...

It's a prejudice that gifted kids end up dumb.

4. Maeve

Emma Watson graduated from Brown University.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think all of them stop studying. However, I would guess many do. I think most people go to college because they just want a degree to get a good job. If you're already rich and famous....

Most famous people are rich so of course you can make a living being a celebrity.

6. Not all of them stop studying. A career like a professional singer or actor is very unstable because fans change preference while movies and TV shows don't necessarily last.

Some celebrities get a degree so it's a safety measure in case their career goes slow.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fame is an increasingly fleeting thing, and there's more and more smaller niches. I don't think that's as much a guarantee of wealth as it used to be, so I agree: One would be wise to also get a degree.

What was it that Andy Warhol said?

"In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes" (1968)

We're coming close to reaching that point, given the vast rise of form of media.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, two things.

1) going to university is no guarantee for success - especially if your degree is unlikely to get you a well-paying job. I wouldn't waste my time going to university, paying £9,000 per term, just to get a degree in Art or Sociology. But that's just me.

2) going to university is not a signifier of intelligence, at all.

9. Gen

Gen

Dr. Mayim Bialik was a successful actor before she took several years off to pursue a doctorate in neurosciences. Most people know her from Big Bang Theory these days.
    Higher education is certainly not a requirement to be classified as intelligent, but there is a very strong correlation between academic success and intellectual ability. People of above average intelligence are more likely to preform better in school. People who preform better in school are more likely to continue to pursue additional degrees. So, I would argue that above average academic accomplishment does often signify above average intelligence. It simply is far from absolute.

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, that's a given - but the crux of my point is that pursuing higher education is not a requirement for personal success. I'm not sure how it works everywhere in the world but here, you can do your end-of-year exams and get good results, and could easily land a stable, well-paying office job. Likewise, a degree is not necessary for things like engineering, and they pay very well. Obviously if you want to go into teaching or something similar a degree is required.

11. Gen

Gen

Well, that is definitely a regional thing. On this side of the world is largely university or trade school in order to be up to a stable career. There are quite a bit of exceptions, but they aren't the type of exceptions that you can expect. If you find a wonderful stable job without a degree in this region, then you are considered nothing but insanely lucky.

~~~ ​

Back to the subject though, as little credit as we might like to give them, most celebrities are not the Kardashians. Most don't have the luxury of literally living off of pure fame. They might live off a craft or businesses, which do require their own degrees of prowess.

12. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    For every Natalie Portman, there's a Jenny McCarthy, using her platform to say crazy things. IMO the problem is that a lot of people think celebrities are more worth listening to because they're famous.

13. Footnerd

Footnerd Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Those who don't get a degree and some real world work experience can find themselves in very serious trouble down the road if they don't make enough millions in take home pay to last them the rest of their lives and same with sports players.

No one will hire them, employers are so strict these days, everyone has to go through the system, being a hockey player or celebrity doesn't get you a minimum wage job should things go really bad later on.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are quite a few who have left their careers for three or four years to earn a college degree, and others who earned a degree with online or distance classes.

I think it's really up to the individual's choice. Those who see the value continue their education, those who don't do not.

I remember reading about a number of former child actors who were very successful in their child or teen years and are now things like postal workers or real estate agents or other pretty unglamorous (and not particularly high paying) careers.

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be fair, not everyone aspires to earn a lot of money. Those people might be happy as postal workers or real estate agents. The potential to earn a lot is often offset by added stress and longer working hours. People have different priorities in life.

16. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think Emma Watson, definitely not always.

Not all people are stupid without 'proper' education society wants. Everyone chooses their own path, it's their decision. Some people are born with tons of talents, acting, singing, etc, if their skills bring fame, sometimes even unwanted one, they can't do anything about it, if they are born to do this it's their life. It's no different than doctor who studies his ass off to get a degree and save people's lives.