1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Michigan Governor Signs Religious Objection Law

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by greatwhale, Jun 11, 2015.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, he did it, even though he said he wouldn't.

What kind of bubble do these idiots live in? I'm not sure if Michigan will get the "Indiana Treatment" but I sure hope they do...

The state spends $19.9 Million on state adoption agencies, $10 million of which goes to these faith-based adoption agencies...that is a scandal in itself, implicating taxpayer money to support religious bias. Lovely.

Snyder signs bills targeting gay adoption in Michigan

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that the live in the bubble of forcing their agenda onto everybody else. The sad thing is that most times these people think that they are helping society...

3. IcarusRising

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Eventually their bubble will burst. There is no way that this law will last.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As proud as I am to be a Michigander, I'm ashamed of my state. The best thing I can say is that we'll remember in November.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a dumb law. All these laws do is tie up the courts as they get appealed...a huge waste of money, while also denying the most basic rights and human dignity.

6. pantomime

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah, I'm sure those kids would be so disgusted to have a family of any kind that loves and cares for them. It's better for them to just stay in the system because gays obviously can't be trusted. *sarcasm*

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    why did they reelect all those rep governors in the last election. everyone thought they were in danger but nope they get all reelected. people need to be voting in all elections period or shit happens. sry my shoulder is in pain so i cannot type well lol

8. CyclingFan

Snyder got reelected even with all of the negativity surrounding him in 2014.

There were about 1.5 million more votes cast in the 2012 presidential election, with Obama winning 54% of the vote. If democratic voters turned out for off year elections the same way they do for presidential elections, I doubt that Snyder would have won a second term.

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2015 at 04:05 PM ----------

That's literally it. About 50% more ppl voted in 2012 vs 2014 in Michigan's election. Same pattern for 2010 and 2008.

Vote in every election.

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2015 at 04:07 PM ----------

It gets angry yahoos all fired up to vote in off year elections. That's something of value to certain people.

9. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If they want to use bias like that then they can hand back all that tax money. Wouldn't want to anger God by taking money from all those sinners would we?

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even in spite of the low turnout, Snyder barely won the 2014 election. He went from a 59% landslide in 2010 to not even breaking 51% four years later. Which is why I have a good feeling that in 2018, no matter the national climate for a midterm that will be yet another disaster for the Democrats if they retain the White House, here in Michigan we'll have a Democratic governor to clean up Snyder's messes.

#10 AwesomGaytheist, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  11. photoguy93

It's probably off topic, but... I doubt anyone who votes will remember.

I found a poll for Indiana's governor, and it has him in the lead! I about shit! It's not just like a percent or two, I think it's 5-10. It never changes. Something has to give. I feel it'll be the same with Michigan.

12. guitar

....and I so like shopping there too. *sigh*

13. tscott

I've no objections to a faith-based agency adhering to their religious principles, but it does bother me when they take state funds and not conform to the laws of the state. My undergraduate school refused any state or federal funds either directly or through scholarships and loans in order to keep its autonomy. Their case went to the Supreme Court, and won (incidentally they were represented by a local firm and a frat brother was Rehnquist's clerk). A stubborn hotbed of Scottish Presbyterianism, but it is entirely private now...the luxury of having a trust from the family who founded the school an Sun Oil.

14. juliegt6

My mom was in a Catholic orphanage from 1956-1958 in Grand Rapids, MI. I live 8 miles from it now (it's now a youth center).

She was thrilled to be adopted, and I really doubt a lot of things would have made her less happy. She was adopted by a distant aunt and stayed with them until 18 (1968). I asked her about this issue of lgbt adoption, and she said that any couple willing to adopt, that is financially and emotionally able to take on the responsibility should be able to do so. She's voiced concern about a single person adopting, but that's more since she was a single mom for 9 years after her divorce from her first husband. She said means tests and interviews and home visits should be fine for evaluating any couple or person wanting to adopt.

We're kind of surprised about this bill since quite a few times Snyder has not wanted to sign some very right wing social bills. He's more worried about fiscal policy than social.