1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small talk

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by randomly me, Jun 10, 2015.

1. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Since a lot of people said they disliked the question"how are you?" in the thread the glorious empress Kaiser made a while ago because they felt like the question is almost never meant genuine what about conversations that consist entirely of this kinda stuff?What are your thoughts on small talk ?

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Absolutely worthless. Don't ask me what I think about the weather unless you want me to lick your eyes

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If it goes somewhere, it's fine. But if it stays in that dead zone, it becomes disappointing or annoying.

I think what is most off-setting is the whole, "How are you?", you say something, and that's it. The conversation is over. But I understand why this is done, it's to break away some of the uneasiness that comes, from being around someone and not acknowledging them.

Still, at least follow up with something.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends mostly on how I feel. A lot of the time I can small talk the hell of out people, but other times I crave a deep and meaningful conversation.

Edit. Kaiser nailed it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess you'll never talk to my husband then, lol. He was a meteorologist in the Navy & has a lot of information about the weather. It's actually quite interesting. I like to listen to him, anyway. I do enjoy lightning & especially, thunder. When you're experiencing a drought like we are here or flooding in other places, for example, then, it is rather important.

6. PhoenixOfAshes

I really hate small talk, it makes me incredibly uncomfortable because I feel the need to continue the conversation, and generally anyone who tries to initiate small talk with me isn't someone I generally want to be talking to. (All of my friends know how much I hate small talk)

But the question "How are you?" isn't used for small talk in my world :lol:
    I'm generally a very serious person, so when I'm looking for a light, casual conversation I'll say "What's up?" but for me the phrase "How are you?" Is asking all of these in one:
    • "How was your day?"
    • "How are you feeling?"
    • "Is there anything you need/want to rant or talk about?"

Kind of loaded, but yeah. I generally act as the person that almost all of my friends go to when they're upset, so when I ask "How are you?" I mean it sincerely, and I genuinely want to know how they're feeling. :confused:
    But I'm also the kind of person who skips over all of the "What's your favorite color?" questions and jumps right to the "What's your biggest regret in life?" :slight_smile:
    Yeah... generally people avoid conversations with me unless they don't mind getting personal.

7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's a fact of life, like going to the wc. Which can be very rewarding, frustrating or just meh... But it's always stinky business.

8. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I absolutely despise small talk! And if someone asks me how I'm doing and they don't really want to know how I'm doing then that kinda pisses me off. I've learned that with certain people, you don't even need to give them an answer because they're only asking out of habit and not because they actually want to know how you're doing. I've been conditioned to always say "I'm well thank you and yourself?" It's an automated response and I'm sure that's just as annoying as a fake enquiry about how you're doing. So I'm guilty of small talk too, in a way.

One of my cousins always starts her conversations with "Hi, how are you?" But she doesn't respond when you answer. And she only knows us when she wants something. She'd never just message to say hi without some hidden agenda. That also pisses us all off.

A colleague of mine is crazy about small talk. He'd talk about the weather (literally) or ask me how my pets are doing, etc. He doesn't know them but he's just looking to say stuff for the sake of saying something. Reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

I think that makes it pretty damn clear :dry:

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recognize the bonding value of small talk, but whenever it happens I'm usually just going through the motions. Simple greetings aside, talk to me about real shit! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Interesting weather is different~ I always wanted to be a storm chaser when I was a kid. I was just using it as an example. I don't like when people who don't really care about me use subjects like that to make noise for their own sake

11. candyjiru

I think it's a necessary evil... where I used to work I got chastised for not going around and engaging in small talk with every coworker before work o.o

As long as both people know it's just small talk and get it over quickly, it's fine... but when one person keeps going or ignores you, it gets awkward, haha. Also people who don't know what small talk is and what isn't... Also, small talk with strangers is always awkward...

This is how most of my small talk goes...

So, did you have a nice weekend?
    Yes~ I went shopping. How about you?
    Yep~ I went out to eat.
    Cool.

fin. XD;;;;

12. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Nobody likes small talk, but small talk is not an end. Its a means to "big talk". When you first meet someone, often small talk is all you can do. It is, like candyjiru says, a necessary evil. If it can't go beyond small talk with someone, then maybe they're not worth talking to.

I'm just bad at talking to people in general. =\

13. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't much mind small talk online, as people tend to be more candid with their answers. And it's really interesting to hear about weather in different countries :slight_smile:

Offline, I don't like it. Talk to me about something of substance, or please just don't talk to me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I know that sounds rather supercilious, but interacting is hard enough without the added pressure of bullshit niceties :grin:

14. Doppelganger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I despise small talk. Makes me feel uncomfortable most of the times and I try to avoid it, but it's not that easy.

For some reason, though, I love talking about the weather, if that makes any sense, for some time I was a bit obsessed with it and would constantly check a billion websites.

15. CharlD91

CharlD91 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Small talk makes me feel uncofortable, I worked in a supermarket for years whilst in university and managers always had to talk to me about mylack of coversation with customers.

If I don't really want to know, how you are, how your day was or what you have been doing I wont ask. And I very rarely ask.

There's also only so many times you can say, "lovely weather we're having isn't it?" without feeling like an idiot"

16. The Wallflower

Please please PLEASE never small talk me. Give me some big sentences! Sentences with correct grammar.

Oh, and in real life, I want you to just TRY to small talk me. I will never talk to you again.

17. Eiji

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Where I come from small talk is not that common, and we are pretty bad at it. I am bad at it at least. I never understood people that say things, such as "Hello, how are you?" and then not even wanting to actually know how you are. This isn't done here, if you ask that, you should expect an answer. I think it is fake to do this, and it really gets on my nerves. :/

18. ApexxShadow

Most of the time it makes me uncomfortable XD

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a tendency to take small talk way to literally. That usually results in some really awkward moments...

20. RedHeadHatter

Being in the last year of high school in Brazil means that 90% of the time your either at school or studying at home, so every time people do small talk we usually end up complaining about school or discussing the way some of our teachers behave. If you thing about it, it's pretty cool, the thing is, outside school I am horrible with small talks, it always ends with an awkward silence.