1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in ghosts/life after death?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChloeKiss, Jun 8, 2015.

1. tscott

I do not believe in ghosts. Do I believe in an afterlife? Yes, it's definitely tie to my religious beliefs. No, it is not some thing that can be proven, but requires an existential leap of faith. It is a personal belief, hence it is not open for debate.

2. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you're talking to a psychic right now... and the cool thing is everyone is, some abilities just lay dormant than others or some people are in denial. Although I suck at clairaudience, and clairvoyance ,I'm pretty good at precognition. My spirit guides have only talked to me once. I got scared and flipped the fuck out lolz. I can't tell you how many premonitions I uad that came true.

3. Blakeee

I believe it but I'd like to have some more solid evidence.

4. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    “Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”
    Albert Einstein

Take that into consideration then it is easy to move from the energy in life being changed to another form of energy eventually, thus the possiblility of ghosts or at least life energy being a reality.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'd love to know what my future holds.

6. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

The closest that you come to actually being composed of energy is the tiny, little jolt of a synapse discharging. The chemical signals that are transmitted along the synaptic cleft are just good, old fashioned monoamines, ions, and so forth. The signal that is transmitted depends on the particular proteins embedded in the plasma-membrane of the post-synaptic neuron.

It is a highly intricate system. Each neuron has its own history, and its component proteins are modified and altered over the course of its long lifetime. That is to say, each single neuron sort of has its own personality. It has to grow. It has to develop. And you have billions of them.

To suggest that your personality continues being the same thing after your demise is like taking a deck of cards, burning it, and saying that, since the energy therein only changes its form rather than disappearing, you could still play a game of bridge with the deck.

On a certain level, it's tempting to resort to idealism, where you argue that the only thing in existence is really just the idea of the deck of cards, which remains an existing thing, but there is simply no empirical basis for this point-of-view, simply because this philosophical standpoint is based on completely different foundations and basic assumptions from empiricism. You can justify idealism using very good, extraordinarily interesting arguments. Philosophy is a very deep, rich and rewarding topic of study. However, it would simply be false to state that such a defense would count as empirical justification. It may be a good justification...but it's one made with different basic assumptions.

#26 Christiaan, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yea I do. I've had many paranormal experiences and would love to go ghost hunting as well.

8. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really? I think ignorance is bliss.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Let me have my fun! LOL.

10. ApexxShadow

I believe in ghosts xD

I've had a few horrifying encounters, yeah..

11. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ever since I was little, my mom has told this story. One day like 30 years ago, she was working in a factory and one of her coworkers told her and the other coworkers that she and her daughter always use a Ouija board on the weekends and that ghosts regularly appear to them. So my mom's coworkers asked this woman to show them how it works. So one night after they were done at work they gathered around and this woman drew a Ouija Board and they tried to channel spirits. Long story short, a ghost did appear but it wasn't the one they wanted so the woman quickly 'chased it away' because it was a bad ghost.

So after this, my mom told my family what had happened at work and so my mom and my family decided they would try it at home, try to channel my grandfather. So they used a Ouija board and apparently my grandfather did appear. And they talked to him and then some of my family members said they have to leave now (because they had small kids at home) and my grandfather was like, no, don't leave. But my family said they have to.

There was a big storm outside that night and as my uncle and aunt were walking to their car, a huge tree branch fell onto the car and like 10 people were needed to move it off the car.

The next day, all of my family members felt like zombies and like life had been sucked out of them so they went to the local church to ask the priest what they should do. He said they should burn everything they used to channel the spirit. So they burned the glass, chairs, etc....

My mom and my entire family maintain this is a true story to this day, 30 years later.

Also, my grandma died in 2014 January and after we buried her, something really weird happened to me. Every night for about three weeks, I would be extremely scared. At night I constantly felt like someone was standing outside my door and when I turned the light off and the TV off and went to sleep, this HORRIBLE fear came over me. I think it was a full on panic attack. I had to hide under my blanket because I was so terrified and I could feel someone being in the room with me and I almost cried and couldn't fall asleep and I was too scared to even turn the lights on. And this happened for several nights to the point where I decided I am not going to sleep at night and actually skipped a night of sleeping I was so horrified.

One night I was trying to fall asleep and I was almost shaking and suddenly I saw this huge light like someone had switched the lights on but my eyes were closed! Another night I could feel somebody was sitting on my bed and could hear them breathing.

And then one day I was watching TV with my mom and she kept looking at the door. And I was like, why are you looking at the door.... ? And she was like nothing. And then it was like 11PM so I said I am going to my room to sleep. And she literally begged me not to go to my room and she admitted that she has been totally paranoid every night and couldn't sleep and kept looking at the door because she felt like someone was standing there and she said this has never happened to her. This never happened to me either I had never been scared at night.

My dad left for a few days after all this and my mom literally begged me to stay in her room and sleep there because she was so scared.

These were some of the scariest moments of my life, honestly I don't know what was going on, maybe we we both just really shocked and affected by my grandma's death but we both went completely batshit.

#31 blueberrykisses, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  12. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you met my mother in law you would believe in life after death. or Hell.....

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ghosts? No. Life (a continuation of sorts) after death? Yes, I do.

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Neither of both.

15. IcarusRising

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me personally, believing in life after death helps me sleep at night

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hold on.. I'm trying to tap into my psychic abilities.

Oh dear, the future does not bode well for you I'm afraid. You will have a bowel movement within the next 24 hours, and it will hurt like hell.

You have been warned.

17. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a shit prediction. :grin:

18. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe in both. I have different ideas about it than what most people do though, so here are my theories and speculations about it. .-. I think that the "afterlife" is much more complex than most people seem to think, and I believe that religious ideas on what the afterlife is like, such as purgatory, their idea of a hell, their idea of a heaven, and even reincarnation, is all wrong. Also, in terms of reincarnation I see a lot of problems and flaws in that idea, and even if it was possible, I highly doubt that it would be a requirement or something that would happen a lot. I don't believe in any gods, or any heaven or hell in terms of actual physical places. I think everyone ends up creating either their own heaven or their own hell. Some people create hell for others though. I also believe that even the worst people are capable of finding redemption, and that people continue to grow and learn in the after life. For people like Hitler though, I imagine it would take an incredibly long time to even have a chance at finding redemption, and only after experiencing all the pain and suffering they put others too. That's what I hope would happen at least. I don't know much about the afterlife, since I haven't died before, but I see it more as another plain of existence, instead of just nothingness or some sort of destination where people either go to a physical heaven or hell. I also believe that their are beings in the afterlife that do not exist in our world, at least not in the way we do. These are the beings/entities that religions and many other people have called angels and demons. Maybe people even evolve into such beings in the afterlife. I'm not sure, and this is only speculation off of research I have done and the observations I have made from that research, so obviously don't take it as fact. It's just what I think the afterlife may be like. Either way, I think that valid paranormal research has proven that some sort of afterlife does exist, and humans are made up of energy after all, and energy can not be destroyed. Regardless of whether my suspicions on what the afterlife consists of is correct or not, I do find it interesting to think about. Paranormal research has also come a long way, and I think that one day, science and technology will become advanced enough to prove without a shadow of a doubt to all, that ghosts and other paranormal things do exist. If others believe differently though, then that's perfectly fine. These are just my speculations on it, and I think paranormal stuff is interesting at the very least. I don't really concern my self with what the afterlife really consists of though, or if it even does exist at all. These are just my thoughts on it though. :/

19. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Actually, when you get into your 60's and 70's--if you are lucky and really take care of yourself, 80's or 90's--you no longer care how painful your bowel movements are or how much blood gushes out of your body when you have them, as long as you have them. You sort of get aggravated with puking up your feces, which does happen sometimes to elderly patients with bad constipation, which is an inevitable symptom of heavy opiate medication. Eventually, you might actually die of the constipation, and the reason that doctors are willing to risk it is that the cancers that you have to have in order to get put on this kind of intensive pain-medication are often literally digesting you alive.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

What's with all this commode-tion?

This is why I like this place, LOL.