1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News George Soros to give 5 million to democrats

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Bi in MD, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...-democratic-voting-rights-cases-george-soros/

Does anyone else see the hypocrisy here? while the democrats are running around screaming about the Koch brothers, they are at the same time accepting 5 million dollars from their own sugar daddy.
    I would like to see all elections run for free. free and equal coverage in the media.
    right now the idea that anyone can grow up to be president is flawed in this country, you can only grow up to be president if somehow you acquire hundreds of millions of dollars to launch a campaign,
    The super rich have proven that they are not interested in the well being of the middle class and below, and to be honest, it IS in their best interest to keep the poor begging for handouts from the government. Voting for free stuff has become a way of life in this country.
    Some might vote based on what they can get for free, and others will vote on how much free stuff they can get out of paying for with their tax dollars.
    I say we let the poor compete equally, and at the same time, get rid of the lobbyists that are buying off our congress. Make it illegal to give money to a party or a candidate.
    If you want a vote for whoever sign in your yard, buy it. Right now something is broken if the one that wins is the one that raises the most money.
    as far as voter ID, I don't have a problem with it. few people don't have an ID, and those that don't can easily go down and get one.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, Soros is supporting greater voter registration, not the democrats. He's not doling out millions to buy politicians, he's actually trying to make your democracy better by fighting the tendency of some jurisdictions to make voting by the poor more difficult (requiring expensive IDs for example) in the name of protecting against "voter fraud", which is a non-existent problem.

3. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    ID's in the states cost less than $15.00 and are good for 4 to 5 years depending on the state. I would be more than happy to send the cost of an ID in to some agency in order to insure these people get the ID for free.
    but think of this, in the U.S. you cant have a transaction at the bank without ID. You cant apply for assistance without ID. You cant drive without an ID. So considering this, the very thought that requiring ID is going to create some massive roadblock to voting is at best foolish.
    and yes, there is a problem with voter fraud. One of the things that the left in this country finds offensive is the disqualifying out of district votes. If I can vote out of district and it has to be counted, what is going to keep me from voting in my own district, then going to another district and voting again.

that's just one issue that is real in this country.
    to be honest, the real fear of voter ID is that those millions that crossed our southern border would not be allowed to vote. and they shouldn't be allowed to vote.

4. Psaurus918

Not to mention 5 million dollars is a far cry of the 1 billion the Koch brothers are offering. We all know they're going to donate the money regardless, they don't have a problem with money in politics. So are the Democrats suppose to just not raise money at all?

5. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    but the Koch Brothers are not spending their money to influence voter fraud.
    Soros is.

other than fraud, there really is no good reason not to have a voter ID.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Koch brothers has been notorious about running false ads about democrats especially ones with proven moderates records. I remember a moderate democrat in West Virginia when i lived there last year who was a 40 congressman with a proven moderate record in a deep red state and because of those false Koch attacks the people turned against him. It was
    sad after he dedicated so many years to the state. Many moderates have been taken out of power because of the Koch brothers and it is republicans who haven doing voter suppression for years.

7. AKTodd

Of course all this focus on voter IDs rather ignores all the other stuff the right is pushing through everywhere they can such as eliminating early voting, absentee voting, weekend voting, reducing polling place hours, and moving polling places so that they are more difficult to get to by young people and the elderly who are less likely to have their own transportation.

Of course, if you want to talk about voter IDs, perhaps we should also include efforts (virtually all of them by the right) to restrict the kind of IDs that people can have.

Reference HERE.

Also a fun bit HERE that includes a legitimate reason why someone might not have a driver's license.

In terms of confirmed cases of voter fraud, the numbers seem awfully small for the amount of time and energy that the Republicans are putting into trying to save us from it. The Wall Street Journal (not known as a bastion of liberal thought) has an interesting bit on this HERE.

And another article HERE.

While it's certainly possible to make an argument that our voting system is so important, any amount of fraud is unacceptable, it's hard to see how all the efforts at restricting people from doing it (including those with legitimate ID already) fit into that narrative. Not to mention that nothing like that level of effort is put into doing things like producing reliable voting machines, providing more of them so people don't have to stand in line for hours, etc.

That's a cute quote. Of course, since you don't provide any kind of source or citation for it, making it very difficult, if not impossible, for anyone to make an informed judgement about its source or validity, it's also a functionally useless quote. But nice try anyway.

While the real fear behind all the sound and fury on the right to push forward these kinds of laws is based on demographic panic that might best be summed up as 'Oh no! The brown people are going to take over!!!:eek::eek::eek::tears::tears::tears:

See, I can do it too. :thumbsup:

Todd

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Voter fraud is not a real problem. The true intention of Voter ID laws is to keep the elderly, college students, and minorities from voting. [YOUTUBE]p_-Q8L4l788[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: I also forgot about what Pret Allez said. Many transgender people also face difficulties at the voting booth, especially if they live in a state that is conservative and won't let them use the gender they identify with on official documents.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love voter ID laws, because transgender people shouldn't get to vote.

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This

11. I really don't like it when people donate such large sums of money to support either political party. The donors end up creating so much control over a candidate and it's a bit of a bribe as well. "If you vote against our interests, kiss our money goodbye" is basically the message being delivered.

I wish running for office was easier on the wallet so that more of the common people would run for office.

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2015 at 07:21 PM ----------

Well, if those people are coming over here to work and pay taxes, then they should have a say in politics. That's a huge problem regarding our immigration system, but that's a whole other topic.

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All you need to know about voter ID laws and who they try to prevent from voting is this:

In Texas, a concealed weapons permit is considered a valid ID for election purposes. A college student ID is not. Even the former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, Jim Wright, was turned away at the polls because his driver's license was expired. It's all about preventing minorities and the poor, most of whom aren't going to vote Republican, from voting.

---------- Post added 7th Jun 2015 at 03:15 AM ----------

Oh, and by the way, if you want to talk about George Soros, fine. Consider the fact that the Koch Brothers alone, not even considering the other billionaires who make anonymous 12-figure donations, are going to spend $1.1 billion on the 2016 elections. There's only one billionaire who donates to Democrats, and that's Soros. The rest buy elections for their own self-interests, and that's why we need to get money out of politics.

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't a lot of illegal immigrants not pay taxes? I know many work under the table to not expose themselves and certainly don't pay taxes on their income, so they pretty much leach off our public services. If you're not a citizen you shouldn't be able to vote.

14. CyclingFan

So, they're not paying taxes cause that might expose them. So it makes perfect sense that they're voting in massive numbers. :roflmao:

15. AlamoCity

While I may not agree with every voter registration law (for various reasons), as a Texan I feel it's unfair when people compare the fact that CCW licenses are permitted for election purposes while college ID's aren't. The thing is that (in Texas) concealed weapons permits require at least the same identity requirements as a state-issued ID/DL, so they are in turn as secure and verifiable as a state-issued document. College IDs are issued by various entities (private and public) and don't have the same standards as ones issued by government agencies.

One change I would really like to see and would actually not mind sending to my Texas congressman is the following:
    Gee, might actually mail this suggestion :lol:.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can take a student ID card to the airport and get through security (Done that before). You can't do that with a CPL. You can do a transaction at the bank with a student ID (done that before too) but you can't with a CPL.

17. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    that's because most student ID cards are issued against a drivers license or proof of birth/citizenship.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy to see Soros is spending money to support the cause of decency. He's done a great deal of good though his charitable agencies, and not simply propped up the right wing, like the Koch brothers have, whose main interest is oil, those dirty tar-sands and their own fortunes, and not giving a shit about the environment, or the animals and people who suffer as a result. The Koch brother's sold their souls (if any) to the devil (metaphorically speaking) long ago.

I hope Soros spends even more; we need more people like him.

19. CyclingFan

If we are going to require state issued Id cards to vote, then we need to have Id cards that are free and easily obtainable by all Americans. Anything else is effectively a poll tax that interferes with the constitutional right of every American citizen over the age of 18 the vote.

I like the idea of American democracy. We should really try it sometime.

20. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Why is it that conservatives don't have a problem getting ID cards but liberals do?
    the only ones that are going to be affected by this are those here in the country undocumented, and they have no right to be here, let alone vote.

At least be honest, the left does not want voter ID because they would lose millions of the illegals vote.