1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a job

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jp97, Jun 6, 2015.

1. jp97

So my summer has started and I will be stuck at home 99% of the time and even though it is day 2 I'm almosted finished with summer homework so I want to get a job. I have never had a job or worked and I don't know where to start. I would love some advice about how to go about doing it and where to look. I'm looking for more of a summer/part-time job then a full time. any advice would be great.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm looking for a job myself, and obviously our circumstances are a bit different but here's my two cents:

First thing you need to figure out: is your primary goal to get some spending money or to gain experience for a job you think you'd like to have in the future?

If your goal is to gain experience in a particular area, look at temp jobs or internships in that area. If you know people who are in that field (like your friends' parents or friends of your parents), they would be a good place to start. My cousin is interested in business communications, and last summer he got an internship working for my dad on some publicity materials. Don't be afraid to take a position without pay if the experience and connections are good. Start with the people you know, and then look at various internship postings. Some schools have internship posting sites as well.

If your goal is to get extra spending money, then forget the internships. Figure out what would pay the most and what kinds of work you could see yourself enjoying. For me, I knew I liked working with kids, so I found work as a camp counselor. I also knew I didn't want to be carrying heavy things outdoors in the heat, so construction and landscaping jobs were out of the picture. Probably the best place to look for something like that would be Craigslist.

That's my advice. Hope it helps!

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Second that.

First step is to write a resume. There are a lot of online resources; look for ones targeted towards high school students and people who don't have a lot of work experience. Before you start, brainstorm a list of things that you could talk about: volunteer experiences, relevant classes, computer skills, and anything else you can think of.

Online job listings seem to me to be more professional positions, but I've seen posts for cashiers and restaurant staff so give them a try. More importantly, ask friends and family if they know of anyone looking for work. Keep an eye out for "help wanted" signs. And if you know of anywhere you'd really like to work, walk in and ask if they're hiring.

It might just be the small-town, but here about a quarter of my high school has worked at my grocery store at one time or another. If there's anywhere like that where you are, those can be good jobs to gain work experience.

4. Maeve

Grocery stores and fast food chains are great places for your first job.