1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you care about what other people think about you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by randomly me, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Used to be a lot and dominate my behaviour. Now I don't give a flying fudge cake.

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This looks fun...

I can, yes.

I've been referred to as a social chameleon. It's one of my most useful traits, actually.

I could be a professional con artist, to put it simply. Whether that makes me good or bad, it's up for debate, but I try and not do that as often, to feed my ego or exert myself. I've made great progress.

It doesn't matter how I am, if I lack the credentials and the authority behind it. I can rant and rave all day about desiring to be Supreme Empress of the World, but if I lack the forces and the adoration, I'm just a delusional fool.

All I really want to be seen as is myself, which means capable, useful, and desirable. These things will easily provide anything else I'd like.

In some ways.

I used to think it was about people liking you. Now I realize, especially when you're an adult, it's more about people needing you. They don't have to like you, but if they need you, you're set. Sure, liking you is a preferred bonus, but if you have to be somebody you aren't comfortable being, to get another to like you, it's pointless. You're liked for an act, not genuineness.

Yes.

As others have mentioned, there are times when you put on a 'good face', because it's what gets you somewhere. A job interview is the most universal example.

But more importantly, if you want something, you have to be what another needs in their life, or else they're not going to welcome you into it. Folks either have to like you or need you, and liking isn't always guaranteed, but you can situate yourself as a necessity.

Being liked, especially in a job, is nice, but it can always be screwed up. Have a bad day, say or do the wrong thing, get shown up by somebody funnier and happier than you -- and suddenly, you're expendable. But if you make yourself so outstanding, so necessary for a position, folks will come to you for advice, for help, and, if you handle yourself right, perhaps even a relationship.

The most effective way of getting somewhere in life is to be what others need, because it gives you the platform to reach what you desire. This has allowed me the well-paying but small-hour jobs I have, as well as establishing a security in employment.

And this is why I often worry I'm some kind of sociopath.

3. RainDreamer

More than I should be. Ugh.

It is a horrible thing, being in conflict with yourself.
    My logical side understand that those people are also the same, worrying about how they present to other too much to care about how the other people looks, with scientific research backing it up and all.

But my emotional side is like: Oh gosh they are looking at me! THEY ARE LOOKING AT ME! What to do what to do...do I look ok? Is my pretense holding up? Am I outing myself? Arrrrgh!

Totally unpleasant.

4. Ryu

Ryu

I get enough shit at school for being a disgisting weirdo that I don't care anymore.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    At once not at all and obsessively ^^

6. Eiji

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I care too much. I want to fit in with others. I was bullied quite a lot in school, and that really messed with the way I think of myself. I have this thing about being liked by people, and I do find myself, often putting on an act, of a person others might like. This also leads me to feel guilty, because I feel I'm not being truthful about who I am to my friends. I even think I've been doing this since I was a child. It has had a lot of negative impact on my life, as it puts confusing thoughts into my head on my identity; who I am. This also goes over in the way I see other people, as I put them to the standards of my own "characters".

Though I feel I've made some progress in coming out of my shell, I still find it really hard to take the next step, no matter how small it is.

7. Ben

Ben

Thinking about how other people see the world around them, and see you, is a wonderful skill. Caring about how you fit into someone's world, I believe, comes from a place of great empathy. But it becomes a problem if someone cares so much that they hide themselves from the world.

I'm not affected at all if someone has different tastes to me or doesn't like a part of myself that is just a concrete part of my identity or my body, I think it's actually pretty wonderful to see people doing things that I have no interest in. But I do care that people see me for my true intentions, as we all know how much it can hurt to be misinterpreted. I tend to balance being completely whatever I am alongside doing what society needs me to do, because if we all really didn't care what other people thought, the whole social part of being human might fall apart a bit.

8. PastGrey

Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot unfortunately...

I would say my appearance plays a huge role on how I want others to perceive me. Since I'm still pretty much in the closet I try to avoid any stereotypical look of a lesbian. I dress and act as feminine as I could to avoid being put in "a certain box". I know there's nothing wrong with being butch but it's usually a indicator for a lot of being gay so I try to avoid it. Also I know deep inside I just want validation and avoid any judgmental looks...

Sad truth about me...

9. kem

kem

I do think about it but I usually do what I want to regardless.

10. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not too much, most of my clothing is casual AKA T-shirts/long-sleeves. However I tend to wear a black sweater all the time, but I'll ditch it if it's too hot or if I'm going out to dinner with friends or something.

If I'm trying to look good then yes, I tend to wear more sophisticated clothing like button-ups. But most of the time I don't really care. All my formal clothing I always feel is fancy fancy, not casual fancy (If you know what I mean) so whenever I try to look more well groomed it looks like I'm attending a wedding and I look like a douchebag, so most of my fancy clothing is only used for classy restaurants etc.

11. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A lot like I'm very sensitive of what might people think of me even if they just stare/look at me for an instant. I just can't help it but I try my best to learn that I shouldn't care about other people's opinion of me for my own sake. They just don't define me anyway.

12. tscott

Yes, I do care how people view me. They need to see if I am honorable, honest, loyal. My reputation as a man means a great deal to me.

That being said, I am a people pleaser, not always a good thing. Too often I have let someone else's needs, wants, desires subsume my own. Part of the reason I can out so late.

Now that I'm out this is less of a problem, but it's still there. However, I am working on it.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To some extent, I care how people view me. For example, if anyone thought of me as a hateful b****** with no morals I would be absolutely horrified. In truth, I think most reasonable people would feel the same way.

Caring how other people think of me helps to moderate my attitudes and behaviour in a positive way. I don't see it as an entirely negative thing.

14. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To a certain extent - but if someone is badmouthing me behind my back, I'll confront them over it, probably very angrily, but I won't go out of my way to change their perceptions of me.

If someone has something to say to me, I would rather them say it to my face. At least then I can tell them to fuck off.

#34 imnotreallysure, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  15. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I care about what certain people think about me...

I have two sides, either I don't give a damn, or I care too much about what they think and I ... overthink.

One thing I know for sure, I am really good at pretending I do not care, even though I do.

16. star trek

In real, such as at school or strangers, I don't really care at all.

I only care if it's about something personal like coming out, mental illnesses, etc.

I care what CLOSE friends think about me, as well. Other than that, I don't mind/care.

17. whattodoii

in the back of my closet, with one friend :)
    It changes a lot. Some days I care wayy too much, other days I don't give a f*** :/ though I do care less than I used to, especially towards strangers :slight_smile:

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

As a general rule, whenever someone says they dont care about what others think of them, they're lying.

With that said, I most definitely dont care about what others think of me :slight_smile:

19. Yosia

Honestly, about most things, I don't really care at all.

20. MrSkittles

I really do care. I think I have really bad social anxiety is. I cant be around people without shaking or getting really nervous and worried about how will they think of me and what if they laugh at something I do differently