1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News N. Carolina may Let Clerks Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays and Interracial Couples

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Jun 2, 2015.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: N. Carolina may Let Clerks Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays and Interracial Coupl

Rumor has it that the House doesn't have the votes to override the veto.

2. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: N. Carolina may Let Clerks Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays and Interracial Coupl

I would like to see the examples that you are pulling from to back up your theory that people are being denied marriage licenses based on their religion.
    and yes, white males are discriminated against, mostly by the government or those that directly do business with the government. Did you know if the people in charge of getting something done, like road repair, or even just purchasing their office equipment for a government agency, they have to explain in great detail why it did not go to a minority business if it goes to a white male owned business? are you aware of hiring practices in government agencies? I am.

Now as far as me liking the law? I dont, but I am also open minded so I understand both sides of this argument, thats why I said they need to make sure that there is someone there to handle the same sex license, and when one of the objectors retires or moves on, the next person hired will be hired with full knowledge that this WILL be expected of them.
    My way diffuses a situation that is only going to end up as fuel for those screaming that we are shoving our lifestyle down their throat.

3. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

\
    Allowing anyone do deny any couple a marriage for any illegitimate reason once will allow that someone to believe they can do it repeatedly, and thats not right. there are some people that have waited decades to get married, and the n.c. state government STILL has the audacity to deny them their marriage? Besides, who is to say that the new people they hire wont be the same way? It is entirely possible that it would take years to get the laws resolved. time some of these people may not have. Certain groups just need to be shown that some things just arent right.

4. Blakeee

I hate North Carolina. It sucks here. :frowning2:

5. Gen

Gen

There are so many people who seem to believe that job positions are their rights. Employment is a privilege. You are not entitled to a job anywhere. You are not owed the right to represent an organizations or government, which is a key responsibility that comes with working under any corporation or individual other than yourself.

You don't get to work at a fast food restaurant and decide that you are going to sell food to overweight people because you don't agree with their lifestyle. You don't get to work as a medical professional and choose not to work on a dying patient because of their skin color. If not being able to discriminate comprises your values, then you should not have picked a job that is meant to serve the people. It is that simple.

6. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The major cities are cool, but the state level politics have been utterly miserable since 2012.

A lot of states across the country are in this situation. The Republicans swept through the legislatures in 2010 and then redistricted to their advantage in those states. VA, PA, and OH have a similar problem. NC was just unfortunate enough to lose its democratic governor, which opened the floodgates for crazy in the past few years.

7. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people

:eusa_clap

So well said. There are so many conservatives defending the "right to discriminate" that I would love to say this to.

8. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

But not allowing them to have a line-item-veto over anti-discrimination laws and company policies violates their "freedom of religion." *sarcasm*

9. swagmaster

It depends on what kind of white you are.
    Im glad im not italian tbh.
    The media treats them pretty unfairly.
    Same goes for the irish and jews.

---------- Post added 15th Jul 2015 at 03:34 PM ----------

It depends on what kind of white you are.
    Im glad im not italian tbh.
    The media treats them pretty unfairly.
    Same goes for the irish and jews.
    Same goes for white mexicans.
    As a wasp i would say that I'm not descriminated against though.

---------- Post added 15th Jul 2015 at 03:47 PM ----------

This shit always scares me.
    Im in a relationship that's both gay and interracial.
    Good thing i live in the north but still.

10. souverian

*sigh*

11. starm

NC is where I live, but sadly this isn't unprecedented for the south. Southern us is most conservative.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Wow

13. swagmaster

As a person currently involved in a gay interracial relationship it is a bit scary.

14. CyclingFan

This is old news. They might try this now but they'll have some words with the Feds now

15. swagmaster

Good.