1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a "friend" who outs everyone

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Anonymous, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Anonymous

Most of my friend group is queer, and we never really talk about it. However, this one chick has made it her mission to let everyone in the whole universe know about our sexual identities. (I'm calling her z)

For example: we were in math class and she started talking really loudly about who she thought acted "straighter". It was really embarrassing and the person me and my other friend were talking to even moved away. Lots of ugly stares from the teacher.
    Example 2: she tried to out me. It was during lunch and she starts going at it, listing everyone's sexualities and talking about how "literally none of my friends are straight". Then she turned to me and (loudly) asks "what even is your sexuality? Are you even straight?" It was so embarrassing and I just had to brush it off.
    Example 3: There's this extremely quiet girl who just told us that she was ace after my other friend tried to ask her out. Z just HAD to ask her THREE TIMES "oh I can't believe YOU are asexual" and afterward this girl was so upset she was almost crying. Now she tells literally everyone about "the ace and the bi guy" love story.

Z is one of the reasons I haven't come out to anyone at this school. As soon as I tell one person, it's going to get back to her and then everyone will know. I have no idea what to do about her.

2. Im Hazel

Talk to a teacher. Her behaviour is inappropriate, and she needs to be dealt with.

3. africanFlower

Have you tried confronting her? let her know how you feel about how her behaviour is impacting you. if she is a friend she will change her ways 'cause it is definitely not her place to be telling people. Also, how important is her friendship to you? if she is not much of a friend then do you need her at all (not trying to be harsh but hey). if after the confrontation she still doesnt change, then is it worth telling her? if she cant keep secretes then don't confide in her. hope this helps

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think normal people do this. Most straight people actually don't think much about LGBT issues ("out of sight, out of mind") except when it comes to their attention.

I agree that you should seriously reconsider even being friends with such a person. Since you have other queer friends, why don't you try to move as a group; peer pressure can work. It could be she suffers from her own insecurities; you could turn the tables and ask her why is she so nosey about other people's private lives.

5. bajel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah it's not sounding like she's a fantastic person, your entire friend group is probably over it. Talk as a group about confronting her. Maybe every time she brings something like that up, you could all collectively shut her down. It also might just be in your best interest to just get rid of her completely.

The whole like "OMG none of my friends are straight!!!" thing kinda feels like she's using yall to seem more edgy? Just sayin.

6. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

What the actual fuck? Smack the bitch.

7. gabroxs20

I know it is hard to not only to find an adult to talk to, and also deal with the situation without coming out yourself. But you should talk to yourself, get a group of friends together to talk to her with you, or get a trusted adult. What she is doing is not appropriate and rude, and it needs to be handled.

8. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yessss xD
    Do it.

9. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would advise you to "smack the bitch," as the others have done, but I get the feeling that that would only escalate your problems. It would definitely be fun, though!

In all seriousness, have you tried telling her that you don't appreciate her telling everyone else about your personal life? Some people who are very open about their own lives don't realize that some people don't want their lives on display to the world and will treat someone else's life as if it were his/her own. I would advise making that the first step: confront her about it and politely but firmly tell her that you don't appreciate it and that you want her to stop telling everyone about your life and your friends' lives.

If that does not work, then the next step would be to stop talking to her. If she can't respect your wishes, then you don't need to be hanging out with her. She will learn soon enough that making public things which are best kept private will not gain her friends. Don't tell her things that you don't want public, and don't listen to her if she asks you things you don't want to answer.

If all of the above fails, you may just need to go to an adult and see if someone else can put an end to it. It could be considered a form of bullying if she doesn't stop, and if cutting contact with her fails to remove the problem, then it might also cross the line into harassment. That should probably be a last resort because it is possible that the first or second options could put an end to the problem just as well.

I hope this helps! I've not had to deal with this problem personally because most of my friends are pretty discreet and don't spread things I tell them, but this logically makes sense in my head.