1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Clubs?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheStormInside, May 31, 2015.

1. TheStormInside

Has anyone here ever been a member of a book club? I've been considering checking out a small lesbian book club in the area, but I've determined there's no way I'll be able to finish the book before the next meeting. I'm currently about halfway through. What are the meetings usually like? And is it frowned upon if you weren't able to finish the book?

2. Siarad

My experience of my Book Group is that the first time I went along they were completely accepting of the fact that I wouldn't have been able to read the book.

This is the just the group that I belong to but I have a very busy life and they are usually understanding if people haven't got through the book, they just ask that you don't vote on it if you haven't finished enough of it.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suspect things vary from book club to book club.

One I've gone to at a local library (a generic club, not anything LGBT) has no problems with people who haven't finished the book. People can be too busy. People can positively hate the book, but still be interested in discussing it, even though they couldn't stagger through. Apparently there was one time before my time when everyone hated the book of the month, and just about no one finished it.

4. MiSuenaLorena

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt if anyone will get on your case for not reading the book, especially if it's your first visit. Bood clubs are great. It's wonderful way to meet new people. It also helps widen you horizons a bit depending on the books.

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2015 at 07:43 AM ----------

I love you avatar.:eusa_clap

5. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was a member of a book club when I was younger, but I haven't been in one since. I usually just read on my own and time limits for books doesn't really encourage me to read. But I love discussion and it would encourage me to read new books, so there are positives and negatives to it.

6. TheStormInside

Thanks for the info, everyone. I think my anxiety is getting the better of me and I doubt I'll make it this week. But I am going to see what the next book is and if I think I can read it in time for the following meeting or not. I will have more time this time around at least. I like to read, but I am a fairly slow reader, and like you Tennyson I am not crazy about having deadlines for a leisure activity. I've just been trying to find avenues in which to meet people in the LGBT community.