1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you a vegetarian or an omnivore?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaEsmeralda, May 29, 2015.

1. LaEsmeralda

I actually buy my eggs from a place where I volunteer that has free range chickens. You can tell the difference in the quality of life of the chicken by the colour of it's egg yolk. The ones I get from them are so so yellow and delicious. Supermarket eggs are quite lousy in comparison. Just because it says 'free range' on the box doesn't mean that the producers haven't done the bare minimum to fit regulations.

The issue is the sourcing, I think. If you buy from local, small-scale farms and butchers etc, you know that their impact on the environment is small.

2. Lyana

I'm an omnivore. I love meat and have no desire to go vegetarian or vegan. The way animals are treated isn't enough to stop me eating meat, but I am aware of and concerned by the impact on the environment (carbon tax, the water used just to obtain a pound of beef...). It's not exactly sustainable at this scale.

Since I take most of my meals on campus, it's not always easy to pick a meatless option, but I have been trying to cut down on the amount of meat I eat. I go vegetarian at least three days a week (today is one of them) and sometime in the future (probably when I stop living on campus), I'd like to increase that to five days. It works for me: I'm not denying myself anything, but I'm eating less meat, which can't hurt.

3. Joelouis

Neither. I have a pescatarian diet.

4. HugasaurusRex

I am an omnivore/carnivore! I would not be able to give up meat at all...It is just to yummy...Also the human body is not designed to be vegetarian...So nope nope nope..Meat all the way!

5. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely true, but like they said, that gets expensive. My parents tend to buy from farmer's markets and local places, but it is definitely not cheap. It's one of those catch-22 situations. It's not going to be cheaper unless more people buy it, but more people aren't going to buy it unless it's cheaper.

6. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely an omnivore. I can't cut meat out of my diet. I really love chicken, ham, and turkey. As for seafood, I love shrimp and crab. Don't eat seafood as often though since it can be expensive.

7. Spacetime

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been a vegetarian for 7 years. My family doesn't eat a lot of meat, my dad's a vegetarian as well, and I do a lot of the cooking. I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian. I don't eat any type of meat or meat products, but I do eat eggs and dairy products (which I try to get from reputable sources.)

Being a vegetarian hasn't been hard. I never really liked meat (I don't really remember what it tastes like, honestly), and I've always loved vegetables. I also love to cook, which helps a lot. I just research as many cooking techniques as I can and use whatever's in the house.

I try not to make the same dishes too often, with the exception of school lunches. I always pack some sort of yogurt (I like skyr and kefir), unsalted nuts, sliced vegetables, and berries.

8. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Calling me a omnivore is a stretch. I think that most people would be vegetarian if it weren't for the fact that meat is delicious and veggies are typically gross.

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you crazy? Vegetables are delicious! Spinach, sprouts, swede, carrots, pumpkin, courgette: all my favourites.

I'm a vegetarian if you haven't guessed. I don't like the idea of munching on dead animals, especially when vegetarians are at a lower risk of obesity, heart disease and certain types of cancer (or so I heard, not sure how accurate). I think we get used to and like what we've been brought up on, as my parents are vegetarians and I grew up loving quinoa, vegetables, etc. I get eggs from my dad's friend's chickens and turkeys (mmm, turkey eggs) and my parents only buy organic milk.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Omnivore! I will never remotely understand anything about vegetarians.

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Love my meat too much

12. BelleFromHell

Omnivore, minus pork. I can't eat pork without getting an upset stomach. On top of that, pig meat is some of the nastiest and most unhealthy meat out there.

I eat chicken, turkey and fish a few times a week, and I only eat beef every once in a while. I love shrimp, but I don't get to eat it very often.

Give up on red meat first, that's my advice.

13. PressPlay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Omnivore here...I love bacon and chicken waaaay too much!

I don't mind vegetarian meals once in a while but going strictly vegetarian would probably bore me to death tbh.

I'm here for the pig.

14. Lipstick Leuger

Vegetarian, with occasionally dabble in fish or some white meat such as chicken. To be honest, chicken is starting to taste gross as well. I get plenty of protein, which makes me laugh because everyone thinks you are going to die if you don't eat meat. Beans, eggs, and cheese plus most vegggies and nuts have plenty of it in them. You don't have to make a complete protein, your body will do this for you if you eat a varied diet of grains, veggies, legumes and fruit. That is the biggest misnomer of being vegetarian. People ask about your protein, about your iron, yet fail to consider how their cholesterol levels is killing them via meat and meat products. You also get other vitamins that meat eaters don't because by making that the center of your meal, you are passing on a varied veggie regime.

For people who don't want to give up meat, like my two oldest, at least source it so you know the animals are not being treated as badly. My kids do, they eat eggs and venison that family hunts, or meat that is ethically treated. It takes more thought, and is a bit more cost wise, but if everyone does this the prices will go down and it will make a difference. People are already making a changes and places such as McDonalds is changing their menu to provide consumers with more ethically treated meat.

#54 Lipstick Leuger, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015