1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Creationist Digs Up 60-Million Year-Old Fossils

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by greatwhale, May 29, 2015.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings,

This is definite proof that God (or Whomever) has a cheeky sense of humour.

Alberta creationist Edgar Nernberg digs up what scientists are calling the most

A few extracts from the article:

Even when they have evidence blaring from the very rocks under their homes, there is no convincing these people. Hence the futility of trying to convince them of anything, it is not "seeing is believing", rather you see only what you believe...

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This definitely sets off some schadenfreude in me, seeing as how he has to dodge this evidence that goes completely against his world view.

3. tscott

That's the problem with literalists. They are bound by the Bible, as the direct word of God, rather than the inspired word of God. I don't get it myself. I don't see a conflict between evolution and the Bible...if one is not a literalist. If this man opened his eyes he'd see how Genesis moves from less complicated life form to more complex. Here's the clincher if God is God he could have created the universe and its contents in any fashion He chose. "There are none so blind as those who will not see."

4. Foz

Foz Guest

Is that a 60 million year old fossil or 60 fossils 1 millions years old? XD

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's really cool.

6. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    You can be a Creationist without believing that the world is only 6,000 years old. I'm reminded of that parody article I saw that said something like "Ancient Sumerians astounded as God creates world".

I agree. Literalist interpretations fall flat. The Bible is not a scientific research paper. It's interesting that some people think it has to be.

The ironic thing is that most Biblical literalists I've met are not Catholic, and therefore they don't believe in the literal interpretation of the Eucharist. Funny how even Biblical literalists pick and choose what's literal and what's not.

7. Night Rain

The Lord is testing him. :lol:

8. 741852963

He is going to love that new documentary that is about to be released in cinemas. About that accident at the dino zoo a few years back (god bless their poor souls).

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You mean 6000 year-old fossils?

10. CyclingFan

Heh, I do love the young earth creationist "sneaky God" theory of seemingly old fossils planted to test faith.

11. Psaurus918

"God put those there to test our faith" "I think God put you here to test my faith, dude"

Bill Hicks

12. floridagal1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Lord give us a break!

13. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nah, god is just testing his faith. The fossil was planted there by the almighty and made to look like it was 60 million years old. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Delusion: An idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.

AKA: religion

A matter of how you interpret the evidence..... 60 million years is 60 million years. There's no other way to interpret it, unless, of course, you're delusional.

15. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There is no way to prove or disprove the age of anything you were not alive to see, and then, it is still not absolute proof; only a time machine can prove it.
    It does not matter if it is a day old or a billion years old, it is dead and cannot harm us.

No deaths occured before the fall of man which was around 8,000 years ago based on the geniologies (which cannot be proven) of the Bible (which cannot be proven, but if was a hoax, a VERY good one, no contradictions, different writing styles, different languages. It also appears to have been writen at different ti.es and places, by people, inspired by God and Their creation). Life has adapted to the changing world since. The earth is an unknown age. The universe is an unknown age. All things outside of the universe are infinite in age in atleast one way. Each day in creation could have been a long era. It does not matter what the evidence is, someone in the world would be able to interpret it in any way to benefit them. The fossil is young, fossils take time to form. The creature (or creatures) it is from died no longer than 8,000 years ago if you agree with all that is in this spoiler. If it was much older, explain how the area it was in has had no earthquakes since the animal died, which would ruin the fossil.

#15 PerfectlyNormal, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually there is a perfectly sound way of determining the approximate age of living, carbon-based (that means all of us) beings, that is to measure the ratio of Carbon 14 (a radioactive isotope of carbon that turns into an isotope of Nitrogen with a very precise rate of decay) vs. Carbon 12 (the most abundant and stable form of carbon). I actually did this calculation in chemistry class, quite interesting and completely logical.

17. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Exactly. Carbon dating is a great way to date things.

And the Earth is 4,540,000,000 years old. Thank you, science.

#17 Tectonic, Jun 4, 2015
  18. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    But there is no way of knowing if the rate of its decomposition changed, and if so, by how much. And it is no longer accurate after a certain age. And there is no way of telling the original amount of carbon 14 in an organism, especially if it is long gone.
    The earth could be any age, you just have to define earth, you would not recognize it when it was very young.

#18 PerfectlyNormal, Jun 4, 2015
  19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think PerfectlyNormal is expounding on another level than you guys, that of questioning knowledge itself, freer of the frames of specific methods like religion or science, please don't misunderstand her.
    Just wanted to say that to try to make sure no pointless enmity broke out.

This man sounds kind of funny too ^^

20. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, there are quite ingenious ways to check all of those. And it had been done.

Unless our universe is something utterly devoid of logic and natural law (the view most Christians probably won't agree with) there's simply no way to change something like the rate of radioactive decay or the speed of light or pretty much anything else like that consequence-free, and we can detect those.

And if our universe is lawless... Your arguments for biblical authenticity? All meaningless for me the same way radioisotope dating is for you. I wasn't there, and I can't say anything either way. In fact even if I was there, how do I know it wasn't some kind of random delusion? So, if that's how our universe indeed works, then I'd be a firm believer in Justnowism. Or maybe Last Thursdayism. They seem as good belief systems as anything else under those conditions.

#20 WeirdnessMagnet, Jun 4, 2015