1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glasgow's "Free Pride" not allowing straight cis folk to organisational meetings

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Minnie, May 28, 2015.

1. Minnie

Where I'm from, Pride now comes with a ticket, so this year some people have gotten together to create "Free Pride", which will also focus more on the human rights aspects that seem to have been long since forgotten. Their first meeting is tonight and it's a planning event; as such, they don't want any non-LGBT+ to attend. I'm not sure what to think of this. I get that it's people in that category that are facing discrimination and disphoria etc, and as I say the best person to talk about A is someone who's experienced A, but to close of a whole group of people seems wrong to me. I'm not sure if it is indeed wrong or not. I know a lot of LGBT+ people feel that their voices aren't being heard but I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable going along knowing that certain types of people can't go. What are your thoughts? This is disappointing as I was looking forward to the focus on human rights.

2. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there are quite a number of very complex issues caught up in this. It would be interesting to know exactly what the reasoning was. I too am not quite sure what to think.

The whole issue of identity seems a bit fraught. When I was younger, a gay identity was a clear thing. It seems less so now.

So, don't know. But interesting issue and an interesting discussion to have.

3. Minnie

This is from their page:
    "After discussion we have decided that cisgender straight people should not come to planning meetings as it is a space for LGBTQIA+ people to discuss and shape the event and we feel that cis straight people contributing to the dialogue wouldn't be helpful. However, cis straight people are welcome at our fundraising events and our main events in the future as long as they are respectful of the fact that theirs are not the main voices that should be heard and the events are for LGBTQIA+ people primarily."

4. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So straight cis people's money is welcome!

I suppose the fact is that LGBTQIA+ encompasses so many people, who may have little in common despite being in a minority sexuality or gender group, that one can wonder why to exclude another group, simply because it is a majority.

I suppose my wider point of wonder is what common identity everyone included in 'LGBTQIA+' has, and if that is a meaningful identity?

I understand these are controversial waters in which to sail. I mean no disrespect to anyone. I am asking questions, not seeking to exclude.

5. Foz

Foz Guest

This is totally f:***:cking ignorant, how can they dare complain about discrimination when they do this. Way to encourage segregation morons!

I'm hearing of this more and more often now, at least once every 3 weeks so far this year.

6. Minnie

It's meant to be a free event :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 28th May 2015 at 06:44 AM ----------

I think the idea is that people in the LGBT+ (ABCDEF...) category are the ones who shape events like these. There might be something to do with safe spaces as well, even though it's not like cisgender straight people would go to such events to criticise. Maybe it's so that a queer (I'm going to use queer instead of LGBT+ because that acronym is so friggin' long) event is run by queer people, but then again I personally would want the focus to be on tacking discrimination and helping with personal issues rather than just be for queer people.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I think it's hypocritical to do such a thing.

You (the general you as referring to the community in Glasgow, not you specifically) stand for non-discrimination and equality; you even name your meeting "free pride" and yet it is not free. By thumbing your nose at the cis/sexually-typical people you are only widening the gap between the LGBTQA+ community and everyone else.

The time for saying "us and them" is over - on both sides. There are only people. We of course cannot control how they treat us, but we can control how we treat them. And by educating them, and yes, accepting them, we draw them in. Once they're in they can get a clearer view of our perspective and help spread the word. It can only help.