1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

financially independent scary tbh

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, May 17, 2015.

1. Alexander69

so I'm financially independent and not working i no longer take nor get money from my father... and I'm 26,000 in debt and its frightening but I'm sure ill make due just have to start working and start paying it off. its so different being independent haha feels good just scary you know? just had to get this off my shoulders I've never worried financially before so its different i guess haha

2. LD579

It is scary, but hopefully it will be a good experience for you. Money management is very important and will be a lifelong invaluable skill that you'll continue to improve on and perfect. Getting a form of income would be a good start, as you say, and try not to spend money before you actually have it and can pay off other things.

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's a lot... How did you get that much debt?!

I've been independent since I was 18, and I never got debts...

4. Alexander69

its from shopping and ya.... i got so used to buying what i wanted and I'm trying to break that

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alexander! Nice to hear from you... I was just thinking that I hadn't seen a posting from you in a long time.

The shopping habit can indeed be difficult to break, and I know a lot of people that have gotten themselves in your position. If you can develop the discipline to simply not use credit cards or other forms of credit *at all* and pay cash or use a debit card for everything, then paying off even that large an amount can happen faster than you think, even if you're not earning a tremendous wage.

You can also sell things you bought. Even designer brand clothes sell pretty well on ebay.

But I admire you for taking the financial independence route. It's scary, it's difficult compared to what you're used to, but it's also really healthy for you.

6. Psaurus918

I've been mostly financially independent since 18 except for a few minor loans from my mom (I got into some credit card debt).

26,000 is a big debt but I know people worse off at your age, with work and budgeting you'll have it paid off in no time... Hopefully you still live at home and can pay as much as you can towards debts

7. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow I know what you mean though. I'm on my own and pay for everything myself including my pets. Not even a month ago I was told I needed around $2000 for my dog to have a surgery or he would be put down....I panicked so I can understand the debt part as I'm there now not to mention I have over $27000 in school loans to still pay off....it's not fun being a adult