1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns - am I weird?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PrettyPurple, May 11, 2015.

1. PrettyPurple

I'm sorry for the messy explanation in advance.

So... recently I discovered I'm genderfluid. Since I've always been told I'm a girl, I used female pronouns, but they never felt quite right. But when I think about using any other pronouns, it also feels... weird, probably because I never met anyone who uses pronouns other than "he" and "she". I don't think it's wrong to use other pronouns or anything like that, it's just that when I think of someone referring to me as "they" it just feels... strange. Is there something wrong with me?

2. Yesnomaybe

Hey, I'm the same way!!! You aren't alone, but maybe we're both strange :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I've slways though they sounded kinda weird so I just go by she and deal with it :/

3. PrettyPurple

Hiiiii :smilewave good to know I'm not alone :slight_smile:

4. Im Hazel

No, nothing wrong. There is a genderfluid person at my school who uses "he" and "she" pronouns (and male / female names), and just tells people which to use on whatever day. It is all up to you, and whatever makes you feel comfortable.

5. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't like they/them pronounce either, i have been called he for whole of my life and at the moment i'm trying to think what i like best.
    They/them gives me the feeling of being more then one.. kinda schizofrenic

6. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might try with ze/hir or something like that. There are a lot of non-binary pronouns.

7. PrettyPurple

I know, it's just that... they seem strange somehow. I mean I don't think anything bad about people who use them, but it's probably because I never met someone who would use pronouns like that so it seems strange, I don't know.

8. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that the idea of gender neutral pronouns has a lot of potential, but in this day and age they do not seem to be very practical because the majority of people don't even know them and many people wouldn't care enough to memorize the pronouns just for you. If it were my choice, pronouns would not have been gendered in the first place. I hate the way it sounds when the average boy says "she".

9. Elianora

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if this will help but I have an example I'd love to bring up.
    I'm part of a trans* support group and in it is someone who asks for people not to use pronouns, just that someone's name.

Also, I would recommend trying different pronouns with a friend or two for a bit, just to "try them on for size" so to speak, even if it feels weird. after a few weeks or so check back in to yourself and see how it felt

10. PrettyPurple

See, in Poland there is this thing... you can't have a gender neutral name, it has to be a male name or a female name. Generally in Poland people have Polish names, and a Polish gender neutral names don't exist. Although the law kind of changed and people can have names other than Polish ones, I think they still have to be male or female, so no one can name a child for example Alex. (not sure about that though, because the law changes and then people don't want it and... mess). I have a female name, which I really really hate, and in theory I could change it when I turn 18, but... I don't know. And I tried asking people to just use another name, but most of them think it's stupid or something and they just don't, no matter how many times I ask them to do it.

And pronouns... I could try different pronouns in English, but in Polish we just don't have them. We have only male and female ones, well and those we use for things. And well, most of my friends are Polish, so...

#10 PrettyPurple, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015