1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you propose to your significant other?❤

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Demure, May 10, 2015.

1. Demure

In the land of Sunshine,Lollipops, and Rainbows
    How would you propose to your significant other? Or, if you don't really want to propose, how would you want to be proposed?

Personally,I would probably be pretty cliche and organize a flashmob and surprise my partner at some fancy restaurant.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner already proposed, doing it in the cutest way possible. He put my ring in a POTO dvd case full of hand-made rose petals and popped the question to the song "All I Ask of You" from the movie/musical.

Cutest. Shit. Ever.

3. Demure

In the land of Sunshine,Lollipops, and Rainbows
    omg that's so adorable! You guys are so precious :redface:

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, basically my boyfriend and I just talked to each other and told each other we wanted to marry. We didn't propose actually. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: We want to marry, and we will when we can. =)

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that it's a decision that should be made together where the couple sits down and looks at the finances, looks at their careers, their goals, their maturity levels, and decides together whether or not they're ready to make this leap into marriage. I don't think it should be that storybook "pull out a ring on one knee" type thing, but that's just me.

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. ^

7. Hiems

I agree with this. Having said that, still having that moment after carefully discussing all of these matters would be quite nice. I think this is my inner romantic taking over >.< Lol

8. MetalRice

Probably some corny and silly romantic display; I'm a hopeless romantic.

9. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'd make sure that we both wanted it, discussed futures together, and casually discussed our ideas on commitment and relationships. If all goes well, I'd propose romantically to make it "official" I guess.
    My dream proposal would be to write the person a song, and get down on one knee and propose to them.

10. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would like to be proposed to as a surprise, during a romantic dinner on a special day, like our x-year anniversary. ❤ It would have to be after a couple years of living together, because I want to be sure we can stand each other for the rest of our lives. :lol: I would also hope my future husband isn't an idiot, and has actually made sure it's financially a viable option. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Discussing it beforehand would seriously ruin the moment for me. He should know and feel when the time is right. I'm a seriously sappy hopeless romantic though. :slight_smile:

11. Acanthophis

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty sure the majority of couples do talk about all of that stuff (or similar stuff) before proposing. It's a really ballsy move to go buy a ring without any evidence confirming they'd say yes other than "they love me". I know a few people who have asked for the permission of their significant other's parents before proposing.

The ring on one knee is really just supposed to make the moment. Chances are if there is a proposal, there was a conversation at one point in time.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm guessing AwesomGaytheist means that there won't be a proposal / there's no need for a proposal, when it has been talked about already.

Look at my story for instance. My boyfriend and I talked about marriage and we know we want it. It's a matter of waiting for the right financial situation, and waiting for the opportunity to marry. So, if he'd go on his knees for me, it would be a bit odd, since he already knows the answer and we're waiting for the situation to be well enough so that we can marry. :slight_smile:

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We talked about it years ago. In the end we just grabbed our diaries, picked a date and did it.

14. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. Exactly this. I would not "propose", and I would not want to be "proposed" to, at least not in the traditional way. My proposal would be, "Hey, would this be something you'd want to consider? Maybe we should talk about it."

I hate seeing big public proposals, and if anyone did that to me, I'd be so pissed that the answer would be an automatic no. I don't see it as romantic. I see it was immature and unfair, if there had been no discussion beforehand. The thing that irks me is that a public proposal puts pressure on the person being asked. The audience wants a yes, and if you don't deliver the perfect romantic proposal, they turn on you. If you say "no", you're a :***:. Even if you say you need time to think, which is the most reasonable response, people are disappointed and act like you're at fault for ruining this romantic moment. So, yeah.....public proposals make me angry. Rant over, for now.

^all of that is for surprise proposals. If the topic has been thoroughly discussed beforehand and it was clearly something that both people wanted and they just wanted the grand gesture to be cute and romantic or whatever, then go for it. That's fine. It's the people who actually do "pop the question" in such a public way without discussing it first that I don't like.

#14 Boudicca, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  15. Justinian20

I would certainly do a proposal cause it can let me do something super romantic. I have one idea where I would propose with a song, I would walk in play the guitar and the song would be all about him. I would end the song with the question, And so I wondered in all my life. Would he marry me. So it's not like a direct proposal, but it's a fun way to start honestly talking about it and also allows me to be creative.

16. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I agree with the others (meaning it should not be a complete surprise), I would like it to be somewhat of a surprise where he proposes to me/I propose to him. I'd want to be something low key, and shared between the two of us, not an entire flash mob and posted on YouTube :lol:

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would want him to propose to me in a quiet area. Even if I get married I want a nice small wedding.