1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you think the kinsey test is accurate?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by atoadaso, May 9, 2015.

1. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

I see a lot of folks putting their Kinsey scores on here, & I wondering if anyone finds it accurate. I personally think it's either outdated or was just never quite right, due to what I know of the scale being so limited. Unless there's a different version out there, there's a very low number of questions with limited answers. One of the questions, about being dominant or submissive, is entirely irrelevant imo. I just don't feel like it lets you provide enough information, & it isn't inclusive. So when people include their scores, is it meant to say "this is a measurement of my queerness" or more of a "this is where I scored on the famous Kinsey scale" just for fun kinda thing?

2. MetalRice

I think it has a certain level of accurateness; but I don't really think any test can be completely and truly accurate.

I score a Kinsey 2 I believe; which I believe to be accurate.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It's fine if you're gay, bi or straight for the most part. If your Asexual or pansexual or crockpotsexual you may have more of a problem with it. In general I don't think anyone needs a test to tell them what sexuality they are but the Kinsey scale is still useful because it encourages the idea that sexuality is a spectrum which is something that alot of people surprisingly still don't understand. So, the more we get Kinsey around the closer we are to a world where Gays and Lesbians aren't the mainly visible part of the LGBT+ community

4. Acm

Acm Guest

Personally I just see it as a fun thing, and it can be a good starting place if you're questioning, but it shouldn't be taken too seriously. As far as I'm aware though, there wasn't originally a test, all the ones on the internet are just made up.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This.

It's a route, not the destination.

6. MirandaJK

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I feel like it was basically asking if you wanted to have sex with a woman or a man. Most of the tests online, including this one, basically give you whatever answer you want; not becessarily what is true. I am questioning and I got equally hetero/homo, which is what I was thinking, but the questions basically asked me my opinion. I don't believe it to be accurate.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's something that's supposed to be used as a general guideline, not an official end all be all test that will tell you your sexuality 100% accurately.

8. Lyana

I think the Kinsey scale is interesting. The various internet tests, though, I don't really care about and I certainly wouldn't rely on an online quiz to determine my orientation.
    But the scale itself is an interesting way of looking at things. Limited, but interesting.

9. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can help you understand your sexuality in the big picture, generally, but it's not easy thing to define, and for a lot of people it's complicated.

10. HugasaurusRex

I think it is an okay place to start if you are unsure of who/what you are. But not as a definitive answer. Some/most of the questions on it are not direct and the answers that go with them seem to be directed to what you want to come out at the end of the test. I already know what my sexuality is, but I thought I would try the test out and see what I get and it came up with bisexual, yet I know that to be false. It just seems to me like another boring Facebook style time passer.

(*hug*)

11. Bravesole

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I not took it till just now and not that surprised
    Below is the Kinsey scale, your result has been highlighted.

0 Exclusively heterosexual.
    1 Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual.
    2 Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual.
    3 Equally heterosexual and homosexual.
    4 Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual.
    5 Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual.
    6 Exclusively homosexual.- my score is hear
    X Non-sexual.
    F The test failed to match you to a Kinsey Type profile. Either you answered some questions wrong, or you are a very unusual person

I feel its an accurate account of me

12. mukumuku

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It doesn't take into account the difference between sexual/romantic attraction, which is my main critique of it.

13. TheStormInside

Well, you should understand that first and foremost it's a scale developed by a psychologist who studied sexuality some decades ago, with the intent of expressing that sexuality is a spectrum rather than a binary (ie not everyone is either gay or straight). The test, I am not sure of its origin, but to my knowledge is nothing studied or official, and should really only be "taken" for fun.

Whenever I've taken it it tells me it doesn't know where to place me :/ . But, I do sometimes describe myself as "Kinsey 5" not as a test result but as a reference to the original scale and the fact that I am mostly gay, but may have a very few exceptions here or there.

14. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've said it before in a similar thread, but there is no Kinsey Test. Kinsey developed a *scale*, which merely posits a continuum of sexualities between gay and straight (and yes, we know that not everyone believes that is the case or considers themselves to be on that continuum)...the 7 Kinsey "scores" are just discrete points evenly spaced along that continuum.

But Kinsey specifically never developed a test to tell where you fall on that scale. Other people have tried to do this, and with varying levels of accuracy/validity.

16. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

I didn't consider that at all, because I think it's a very very limited spectrum (because, like you said, ace/pans/etc don't fit on it very easily), but it is a good starting place.

---------- Post added 10th May 2015 at 01:28 PM ----------

I heard about the scale & the test (which I thought were developed at the same time by the same dude, oops :icon_redf) around the time I started questioning. The first time I took it, I got a 2, which at the time fit perfectly. I've taken it a about 5 times since, just for the hell of it, & the second time I scored a 6 (less than a year after getting a 2 :icon_wink), & all the other times I got an F. I never took it seriously once I determined my real sexuality & thought it was just fun, but I wanted to know how others felt about it.

17. DinelodiiGitli

The test and scale are interesting but I don't put a whole lot of merit in them. They sort of remind me of personality tests; they're good fun but the accuracy is debatable.

18. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Accurate or not, it's a good place for questioning people to start.

19. MisterTinkles

NO test is accurate, unless you include ALL those it affects.

And as far as I have ever seen, tests only deal with tiny/small/insignificant groups of people on this planet. Which is fine for that small group, but not for the rest of the population of the world.

And tests such as this one that has not incorporated the entire planet of people, cannot be deemed appropriate or accurate by any means.

20. AceCase

Out Status:
    Some people
    i am asexual and I actually just took the kinsey test... it turns out according to the test... **drumroll please** I'm still ace.