1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you learn from your mother?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by White Knight, May 9, 2015.

1. White Knight

Today is the Mother's Day in non-UK parts of the world. So in honor of this day for most important woman in our lives, negatively or positively, what did you learn from your mother?

Will give my answer 'morrow. Instead leaving this song here and rush into the kitchen to prepare Mother's Day breakfast for my mother and sister-in-law.

[YOUTUBE]VsNbhwSXDB8[/YOUTUBE]

A big hug from me to all mothers. (*hug*)

2. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I learned to like men sexually...Ever since I lived in her tummy...

3. Demure

In the land of Sunshine,Lollipops, and Rainbows
    That republicans suck

4. MetalRice

I learned to be kind to all, to treat all with respect; to treat others how you would want yourself treated etc.

My mom has given me good life lessons.

5. Notlad

Don't chase the dick make it chase you.
    Well. I overheard that in a conversation with my sister but I guess I gleaned something. XD

But in all seriousness, my mom taught me to think rationally, think of others, hindsight is 20/20, and if you have a problem there is a solution.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had to discard a lot of it. She operated from a position of weakness ... and manipulation ... to compensate for that weakness. My personality and viewpoints have been shaped far more by my dad. Mother's Day doesn't mean much to me, but I do extend greetings to my friends who are mothers themselves.

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

She taught me compassion, and empathy; the ability to look at things from someone else's perspective and understand their feelings.. 2 of my defining characteristics. and a million other things

8. I am a moose

I was taught how to use her epi-pens. Thanks to that, I've saved her life a few times over the years! :grin:

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I don't have the closest relationship with my mother, but despite that, there was a few things she did teach me, whether or not it was intentional:

Money is very important:
    Money, growing up, is what allowed you to eat, to have clothes, to keep a house/utilities. In the case of my mother, money is also what allowed her to 'cope with the world' with her drug habits.

Basically, money allows you to live comfortably, if you have enough of it to cover your basic expenses. You can get by without it, but it's harder and you'll usually wind up working for some kind of currency, anyway. If it isn't money, it's for favors or I-owe-you's.

You don't just do a good job, you do a better job, because somebody else will:
    You can't be nice in this world, at least not all the time. You have to be competitive or else, well, somebody else will and while you may feel noble, for not making somebody look bad, you're still with a missed opportunity and jobless.

Basically, you make sure you're the best, at all costs, to the best of your ability, even if it leaves folks disliking you, because Life doesn't play favorites, it tolerates the most capable. The rest are left with what-if's, broken dreams, and forgotten...

Ironic, this one, considering the other day...

Talent is second to knowing opportunity:
    You can be the best damn whatever in the world, but unless you take a chance, find an opening, you may not get to where you would like to be. Many hesitate due to self-doubt, but some hold back, because they don't like the idea of possibly pushing somebody out of the running.

Basically, if you see a moment to advance/benefit, you take it -- no and's, if's, or but's. It is better to try and succeed than to wonder and always fail. If you know who to associate with, where to congregate, and how to position yourself, you can compensate for almost anything.

You're already the right person, so find the right place at the right time, or make it happen.

I could go into the negative things she taught, but, it's Mother's Day, I'll let her slide... for now...

10. HugasaurusRex

About the value of teaching yourself about life and how shit works.

Not through lack of love or caring, my mother left me to my own devices. And for that I love her and respect her more for it. I was able to make my own mind up about the world and teach myself what I liked and what I disliked, she never tried to impose her views or opinions on me. But the main thing I love her more for, is she let me make my own mistakes and learn from them knowing that she would always be there if ever I needed it.
    But the one thing she taught me directly is that no matter what happens in the world or your life, there are always people who care and and love you.
    And an innumerable and invaluable amount of other things that led to the caring, friendly and loving person I am today.

Oh and she taught me the value of a hug. (*hug*)

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I've learned more from her faults than from her good qualities.

12. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, my mom's an accountant, so MONEY MANAGEMENT.

She taught me how to save up money. Did you know that she even let me "invest" my Christmas money to her? My Christmas money actually profited 30% when I "withdrew" it from her :lol: But there's one thing I hate about her. She know and remembers EVERY cent of her money. I cant steal, even just 20 pesos, in her wallet without her knowing and interrogating each and EVERYONE of us. <rolls eyes> :lol:

13. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've learned to be brave, care for others, if you need to talk to someone about something just do it, and how to care/love for others in general. :slight_smile: happy Mother's Day to all the moms in the world.

14. KayJay

My mom taught me how to ruin relationships and be manipulative. I wish things went differently, she could have taught me things she's good at like cooking, she was an excellent chef. Haven't talked to her in almost five years though.

Happy mothers day to all the mother's out there :slight_smile:

15. DinelodiiGitli

I'm pretty much the opposite of my mother, I'm basically my father much to her dismay as they're divorced. She taught me that men are terrible, that they lie and cheat, she taught me to keep secrets, that being a witch is a-okay and she's over all a good mother. She tries her best, we try our best with what we have even when (at times) that's been very little. She's also been my teacher since I was about seven.

Happy Mother's Day. ^^

16. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never tell her anything she cannot handle

Lol don't get me wrong I love my mother but that's a hard one. Sadly that just might be the honest truth don't tell her anything she cannot handle.

17. Hiems

She taught me that hard work prevails over everything else. My character is defined not by what struggles I go through, but how I handle them.

She always tells me stories about family hardships back in Vietnam and here in the states. She is well aware that I'm putting a lot of effort towards my education. And despite it being difficult at times, I've learned from her (and both of my parents, really) that it's all worth it at the end.

18. SocceRoo

A lot of things. things that impact me the most are:
    -to think for myself and don't always follow the crowd (aka don't get peer pressured)
    -judo, yes judo XD my mum is a black belt (so is my dad) :slight_smile: although so far she hasn't taught me much.
    -how to save my money.
    -how to train dogs to a really high level.
    -and a lot of other stuff :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother taught me everything. She ruled with love, taught us to be compassionate and always made sure to support us in following our dreams. I never had a father. He went to prison right after I was born and remained in there until his death. I never even saw him. But my mother taught me that you don't need anyone else to be strong. She raised 3 kids alone, in a rough neighborhood, with virtually no money because no jobs were available. We were even homeless for a while, yet somehow she always managed to put food on the table and make us feel safe. I honestly have no idea how she did it. She's a queen!

My mother is definitely the strongest person that I have ever met. Happy Mother's Day! (*hug*)

20. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My mother, bless her heart and herself in every single way possible, was a kind mother, but a naive one.

I learned more from her mistakes than I did from her good points. I've learned to be an asshole pretty much, and to make sure that you don't spend on other people or be too kind to them. From her mistakes, I've also learnt that calculation and planning is extremely important, even when with friends, plus I've also learnt that you should never trust friends with your money, and that if you want to help them or show altruism, you need to do it in non-monetary ways.

I guess I've adopted certain morals from her and a good work ethic (as in you've gotta roll your sleeves up if you want to get a dirty job done).

She is a kind mother, the strongest woman I've ever seen, but there's this gut feeling I have sometimes that she didn't raise me well enough, or that I've not turned out to be the son she would've wanted, even though she invested a lot of time in me.