1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dissection...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MotelGuy, May 8, 2015.

?

How do you feel about animal dissection in High School?

1. It's okay...

31 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. It's wrong...

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. i don't care...

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

the first time i dissected alive animal was when i was on the middle school (8th grade) to be exact. I dissected a frog all by myself, my teammates were all girls (4 of them) and they freaked out the moment that they told that the had to nail the frog's limb to the dissection board...

i nail it by myself, i 'sedate' the frog by chloroform myself, i dissected by myself and in the end of the practical session, the frog heart still beating

note : i would like to apologize to the frog, due to that maybe the anesthesia ran out in the middle of the session and he/she/it have to bear the pain for the rest of the session... i truly am sorry

i guess i should have realize that i have some sort of gift for medical and surgical stuff or TORTURER stuff???

i helped dissect a cadavers at pre-med, i got thorax/chest and neck part and it was damn hard to carefully dissect to expose the structure while preserve every other single anatomical structure at the same time... i guess i'm good but not that good tho, probably need more training

anyway
    thats just me =)

2. Hizaki

TBH I haven't read anybody else's comments, but I feel that dissections might get some people more interested in biology, and those "some people" might become very important changers in how we think, ecologically. I just feel that it's interesting and might spur greater discoveries later on.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might sound weird, but I really love it. I don't know, I just find it interesting I guess?

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really care. I did dissections for my biology class, but it was only earth worms (so much for thinking we'd deal with frogs).

5. LaEsmeralda

We had a pig's heart or something. The teacher stuck his finger through the aorta and out the other side and a guy in the class puked.

6. Hiems

Yep that's right. Usually arteries lead oxygenated blood from the heart to peripheral tissue, and veins lead deoxygenated blood in vice-versa route. But with the pulmonary vessels, the terminology is reserved. When I first learned about cardiovascular/pulmonary systems, it took me a good two minutes to grasp that before accepting that that's how it is.

As for animal dissection, although I did value the hands-on approach to studying body parts, it made me squeamish at times haha. Especially the cat dissections, ugh ><

I remember washing my hands very thoroughly after each dissection, despite wearing gloves during the dissection, so that my hands were very clean haha. Yeah, I was really paranoid about that :lol:

7. Acm

Acm Guest

I didn't like it. We had to dissect baby pigs, it was really gross and it made me feel sick.

8. Ryu

Ryu

Okay, I've only dissected two things so far at school, one was a pair of lungs (I can show you a picture if you want!) and an eye of what I think was a cow. I love doing dissections. One of the reasons I'm taking biology as a GCSE.

Please let me show you lungs... They're so pretty...

#28 Ryu, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dissected a mouse a few weeks ago, in my anatomy lesson. The animal was going to be sacrificed anyway, because he was used on experiments (and the safety protocol says any animal used on experiments need to be sacrificed), so, instead of just throwing it away, my teacher asked the veterinary department to give them to us, so we could use them in our class.

Of course, it would be great if we didn't need animals and we could just use models, but that's not possible, at least for now.

But everything is done in a way to minimize pain or stress on the animals, so it isn't cruel like some fanatics say.

By the way, the class was awesome.

10. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've dissected a chicken wing, two small birds, and lol that's it.
    I don't mind it, but the smell was freakishly repulsive. The heavy, mettalic bitterness of the blood and the fermenting digestive matter irritated my highly developed sense of smell(I always had the impression even now that I could taste smells more than normal).
    Educationally, real and tangible experience of biology is major asset to the course. Never had it in my AP Bio class.

11. guitar

Never did it. I would have been far too squeamish. @_@

12. robclem21

I've dissected a dogfish shark, a fetal pig, a perch, a mink, a lamprey, sheep's brain, and about 4-5 human donors during advanced anatomy in university.

I think that provided everything is done ethically, responsibly, and respectfully, there is no better learning opportunity than hands on dissection to learn anatomy. Nothing you learn from a textbook can compare to what you can learn from actually doing it yourself.

I think with anything, people should have the option to pass if they do not want to participate, but I would strongly urge anyone with the opportunity to do it.

13. Formality

I personally think it's wrong because I'm vegetarian. I really don't see why high schoolers should need to poke around in dead animals when text books with pictures or internet for that matter do the same job if not better without the unnecessary killing.

For anyone who has decided that eating meat is ok, dissection should be ok for them otherwise I think it's quite hypocritical being able to eat the meat but not wanting to do the "nasty" stuff.

14. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can honestly say that I'm not surprised(not even a little) that vegans think it's wrong...

15. Bravesole

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would refuse to participate in something like this its just wrong .

16. robclem21

do you also refuse to use any of the medications or treatment that come from the knowledge produced and gained as a result of our better understanding of the human body or to use any on your pet as a result of better understanding of animal bodys and body systems?

---------- Post added 9th May 2015 at 10:10 PM ----------

I guarantee textbooks do not do a better job at teaching than actually physically doing something. If so, why would doctors, dentists, chiropractors, massage therapists, veterinarians, nurses, ever practice doing anything. Why not just read a textbook and then go open up an office?

Also, you are not dissecting for the purpose of eating. You are dissecting for the purpose of learning. I think it is a pretty important distinction to make... and is in no way related to being a vegetarian...

#36 robclem21, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  17. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Read my post. In some cases, the animals are going to get killed anyway.

And pictures and books aren't enough. I felt the difference between seeing a picture on a book and actually seeing the organs in front of me. I'm not saying it is a pleasant experience, but it is really interesting, and it really helped me to understand how the body works. I don't think you can be a complete biologist or medic without seeing a dissection at least once. The preparation (killing the animal) is done in a way to minimize the pain.

Believe me, it would be great if we could use models or pictures, but they aren't enough. If they create a model realistic enough to be used (it will happen in the future) than i would be the first person to be against dissection. But, for now, it is necessary, we can't avoid it.

18. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did not like it one bit. One of our dissection days, i nearly vomited after dissecting a fish because the class before was my health class in which we were dissecting cow hearts. I walked into my third period drama class yelling at our teacher "If we dissect any animal in this class today im leaving."

I also was out sick on the day we dissected earthworms. My teacher told me I had to make it up so she had me dissect one during my lunch period. I did not eat that day.

On the funnier side, my freshman science teacher had 2 fridges in his classroom storage closet, one with cats used for dissection, the other with soda that he would sell to his students for 50 cents a can. He wouldnt tell you which fridge had the sodas. Everytime a girl would scream he knew which fridge they picked.

19. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Unfortunately I never got a chance to dissect anything at Highschool :frowning2:
    But when I was a kid I saw a fish being dissected at camp. I liked it.

20. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I really enjoy dissection labs in school. As a biology major, it really helps me learn by giving me some hands on experience.