1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Gay people should just keep it to themselves"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TENNYSON, May 8, 2015.

1. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never understood people who mistake unhappiness for wisdom. If it's the road you choose to take Benway I hope that your notion that you bear no responsibility for your own life or making it better brings you some sort of peace--I can't imagine that it will.

2. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This guy's abstinent and antisexual...Of course he's going to have a problem with anything sex related, Homesexual or whateversexual...

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :roflmao:

4. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    Some people have this weird, entitled opinion that it infringes their rights just to acknowledge LGTBQ people exist. I honestly think they haven't thought things through, because if they did they would understand how crazy and ridiculous that sounds. And yes, OP makes a great point, we're not talking about PDA or dancing naked on a float In a pride parade ,we're talking about not having to hide and feel ashamed.

5. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Jadedness is so passé.

I know this thread is probably hopelessly off-topic now, but I wish we could stick to the topic. :confused:

Just to clarify again: this isn't a thread about PDA. I know it sounds like it based on the title. The title was meant to grab people's attention and unfortunately it allowed the point of the thread to be obscured.

(*hug*)

Exactly. :grin:

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok to get back on topic this hypocrisy is alive and well in this world. Even with people who accept gay people they are like well can you take it down a notch and than I say back to them if your showing off your romantic lives and doing all this loving affection stuff in public or online than I should be able to do the same. When my parents or anyone says I should be careful what I do online or anywhere I make that point and they say no more. If straight people do why not me and i also once told my mom it is not the 1960's i am most likely not gonna get beat up so don't worry about it.

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm. If it's not unfair or ridiculous for you to dismiss Tennyson because of his age, then it's not unfair or ridiculous for me to dismiss yours because of my age. I'm nearly twice your age, so stop pretending you have it all figured out. You say it doesn't get better...you mean it *hasn't* gotten better...for you...yet...because you choose beliefs that don't permit flexibility of possibility. You think with all the wisdom of a 20-something that that is being realistic, but what do you know of reality?

There is more magic in this universe than science will ever explain. And you can use it to make yourself happier, or you can dismiss it and continue living in a world that seems to me small and sad.

Myself, I'd recommend drinking the Kool-Aid and trying magic. But what do I know? I'm still but a young'un.

---------- Post added 10th May 2015 at 01:22 AM ----------

(And apologies to the OP...but I've already responded to the original post, and nobody has commented on my thoughts there...so I felt entitled to carry on a bit with my friend here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

8. Psaurus918

Ah the whole "I'm older know everything" argument. It's been a while since I've heard that one, I thought people were beyond that now.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah unfortunately Benway hasn't matured yet. Gotta love those determinist. :thumbsup:

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just my view...provided that no one is obscene, lewd, or nude, I don't see a problem with PDA. That goes for gay, straight, bi, lesbian, trans. and any other sexual orientation or gender identity minority. If people do not like PDA, they should avoid some of the areas where it is more prevalent:bars, clubs, and lounges(especially at night).

11. Foz

Foz Guest

How much does age really matter? It's just a number you can quantify with some generic not so valid facts about age. A persons life experiences and maturity given an argument greater validity than age. I used to be a scout leader and I knew many kids age 14-15 who are very switched on and aware, more so than the dozens of 20 something year old stoners I've had the misfortune of have to interview for a job.

I've been the manager to people twice my age and many didn't like it, far too many people see age, not ability and maturity as the leading indicator.

12. MojoDojo

My trainer at my new plant has this opinion. Was discussing it today. And Friday. (how does this come up so damn often?!) I didn't even know how to respond. I tried to argue but it worked as well as you'd think.

At least the other students were on my side. So I'm glad it's not everyone.

13. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I'm actually fine with us keeping all the Gay to ourselves and not letting anyone else have any! They just be jelly,

14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They be jelly? Is that like being the icing on a cake...only less special (certainly less lardy)?

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jelly=jealous :wink:

---------- Post added 12th May 2015 at 12:24 AM ----------

Why does my bf always misunderstand me on FB? He got mad when I said bye to him after he told me his phone was dying. It wasn't a rude bye, I would tell you if I was mad.

---------- Post added 12th May 2015 at 12:39 AM ----------

Sorry, thought I was in "what are you thinking" when I posted that. Whoops.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's that (same sex) PDAs make people uncomfortable. I don't know why. Also, male to male PDA seems to make people more uncomfortable than does female to female PDA. However, PDAs make some people uncomfortable, regardless of who's doing it. I'm not uncomfortable with PDAs, but I've never been one to do them beyond giving people a hug. Hugs are easy. I like more intimate stuff behind closed doors.

Reactions really haven't changed much. At all.

20 years ago - in a movie theater in a major cosmopolitan city - a surprise turn of events in which one actor kisses another actor on the lips, sort of a subplot - quite a few women squirmed out loud.

10 years ago - in a movie theater in a major cosmopolitan city - different movie, PG rating, but same idea - the person beside me became very uncomfortable.

5 years ago - in a famous park in a major city and tourist destination - two guys who looked like bodybuilders were holding hands. I saw a lot of people doing double takes. There were tourists and local people, so it was impossible to know which of these groups was really taken aback by it.

17. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have heard people say "gay people should keep it to themselves" so many times and it really pisses me off.

For one, it's impossible. There have probably been hundreds of times when I've been asked if I had a girlfriend or if I was looking to date anyone. I would love to honestly answer the question and just say "I'm gay", but often the people asking the question are the same kind of people who would say "Stop shoving the gay agenda down our throats!"

18. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally I like keeping it to myself. By doing so I am free from any homophobic remarks, except from my mom because God forbid she can't go a week without turning everything I say into something gay-related.

Me: I really like Star Trek.
    Mom: Are there lesbians in it?
    (No. I was not going to mention Captain Janeway)

Me: I really like this new band
    Mom: Is it a lesbian band?

And my new favourite. I don't want you hanging around lesbians. I won't stand for that sh!t. Last time I checked I'm an adult so...

It's like everything I like has to be gay. Um I think I lost track of the topic. Sorry. Guess I had to vent. I think I should stop telling her about my interests.

#58 XenaxGabby, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't read any replies, but I think people still see it as a sexual "deviance" -- like fetishes -- you don't go casually telling everyone you're into bondage. But, those people who see it as sexual deviance are pretty much still living in the dark ages.

20. AlexTheGrey

I honestly have no good words for this. This event has zero bearing on the topic at hand, or the legitimacy of any argument put forth in this thread. This is as bad as invoking Godwin's Law, and has no place here.

And I totally, vehemently disagree with the premise you put forward here. Pushing any form of sexual expression into the closet is going to be problematic, and unhelpful on a large scale. While the discussion and acceptance could be wider (especially with regard to asexuality, bisexuality, etc), I think it is important that we as a society can be open about it. Sexuality is a common human experience, even if everyone does experience it differently. Much like all the other forms of individuality that exist.

The idea that society should keep their sexuality to themselves bothers me, especially when violence is generally more accepted in the media. It seems totally backwards.

I'd probably just add that while you point out that this is certainly a sliding scale, society as a whole has an issue with the whole thing. Sex and sexuality is both natural and a taboo. And we suck terribly at resolving the conflict.