1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting rid of my female wardrobe?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DarkWolf, May 5, 2015.

1. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I feel kind of conflicted when it comes to whether or not I should just get rid of the women's clothes I have. I just hate getting rid of things that I spent money on and maybe I feel a little bit of maybe I want to go back to these even though I kind of doubt it. They don't fit me nearly as well as the men's clothes I have and not to mention I don't feel good wearing them. It's also frustrating to me to just keep them around when for whatever reason I don't like to be reminded that for most of my life I have been living as a girl. Maybe it's just my attempt to start over.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for any help.

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please do rant.
    I understand though, I have the same problems with my clothes. I'm keeping mine in a box in the corner, just inncase. Though i hate that I have enough doubt to keep them around

3. Lawlett

Lawlett Guest

That's an entirely valid question, and I've thought of the exact same thing.

Personally, I would donate them to a local charity. That way your clothing is helping someone in need and not going to waste. This or if you know any women who needed clothes you could give it to them.

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just donated all the clothes that I never wore. What's the point in keeping them if they're not being worn? And it just so happened that all my girl clothes were the ones I wasn't wearing.

5. BlackVeilSirens

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am donating all of my clothes, passing them on to people who want them or selling them. If you're not going to wear them it's pointless. Also, if you sell them you can buy males clothes with that :3

6. Astral

I mean you could always put it in a box and mail it to me... *cough* :wink:

On a more serious note though, I think it's part of the process of wishing to renew yourself that you feel the need to get rid of your old girl clothes. I did the same thing, starting to remove things from my room and life (even pictures of me as a male I no longer enjoyed seeing hung up) once I begun to feel more comfortable in my role. It has to happen some day, and I think it may actually be good for you to do so! :slight_smile:

7. Cedar

It really depends on what you want to do with it, give it some time and thought. You could hold onto some of them just in case or you could donate them to a local shelter, or hey, do both. Hold onto some while donating some, you never know. All-in-all, it's really up to you.

#7 Cedar, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  8. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  9. Acm

Acm Guest

I had the same problem, I feel really guilty about anything that I feel like is a waste of money, and I feel bad about having so many clothing items that I've never even worn. I did end up donating all of my old dresses and skirts, but I still have some more feminine hoodies and stuff lying around, because they were new and expensive, and I feel bad about never wearing them :frowning2:

10. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks and after reading this I'm thinking it's best I donate/give to siblings at least some. I know other people would appreciate them much more than I do (especially since I'm not wearing them), I just need to stop holding on to things.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I should have put them aside for my little sister or younger relatives, but I gave it all away to GoodWill, which made me feel good to know it was going help someone out. There are clothing exchange programs on sites like tumblr that donate stuff to trans people in need, there's another idea if you're interested.

12. wildfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went on a rampage and got rid of all of the clothes that don't make me feel 100% me when I wear them (and that happened to include all of my dresses). You can always get a new dress (or whatever) if you're ever put in a situation where people demand that you wear one. It might be a really freeing experience to purge. I know it was for me. If you still feel like you might want to wear certain things some day but you're sick of seeing them, pack them up and store them, and then take them out again in 6 months and re-evaluate. Put them in a garbage bag or a box instead of your dresser/closet.

13. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I keep thinking the same thing about my male wardrobe. Luckily, I seem to have successfully avoided any more male clothes for my birthday, but what to do with all that I have... And I've got some that I shouldn't just get rid of via charity, as it's kinda restricted on who can initially get them. (They were from some classes I took)

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have zero regrets, except for the wasted money, but you won't take them with you on a next life anyways, you know.., It's only stuff. What matters are the memories, how you felt, so there is no point on wearing stuff that doesn't make you feel good. Even if you store them, they will still be there reminding you of old times, so you better get rid of them.

That being said.. Donate them if you can. If not, throw them away like I did.
    You'll find the male version somewhere, some other time, or even better items.
    They served well, let the soldiers retire with honors...