1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IcarusRising, May 4, 2015.

1. IcarusRising

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am graduating high school in a week and instead of going off to college I am being forced to commute the first year and live with them. My parents and I have a really close relationship which is nice but they are very conservative and because we have always been so close it is extremely difficult To hide things from them. In a perfect world I would love to move out and tell them then so we could have some space away from eachother while we work it out. But I can't. I have Asperger's syndrome that makes it nearly impossible to drive because of sensory overload. Because of this I don't have a license, I don't have a job, and I don't have anywhere to stay if things were to go bad. I am completely dependent upon them. I am almost certain that the wouldn't kick me out, but I am still worried. I know that if I stay with them for another year they will find out, and I would prefer that the news come from me. I am at wits end what do I do?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Fandom obsessed

Oooh our situation is very very similar but my parents are liberal and chill. My girlfriend has very conservative parents though. I don't know your parents views on homosexuality so I can't determine how they'd react.

4. blossoms

blossoms Guest

It's difficult to say what to do, as you've not mentioned how your parents feel about the LGBT community. Have you tried dropping any hints or mentioning LGBT topics before and seen how your parents reacted? I think it's best to test the waters very slowly, to make sure that it's safe for you if you were to come out.

I think my advice would be to not rush into anything and to take as much time as you need. I know it's difficult to wait (I waited 5 years!) but timing is important - if you're not sure, as hard as it may be, then I'd wait a little while longer until you feel it's safe and the right time. Good luck with whatever you choose to do! (*hug*)