1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice on weight loss

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Akira12, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm really wanting to lose weight but not sure what the healthy weight to be at would be for me. I stand at about 5'5 and I'm at 200 pounds so what should I weigh to be at a healthy weight? Also any good ideas on what to stay away from and what to eat to keep me energized and not gaining a ton of weight? I'm doing a lap or two around my driveway which if you do 4 laps it's a quarter mile so is one a day or twice a day better? I'm really committed to this and really need to lose weight. Diabetes run in my family so I'm terrified of that plus I hate having a belly and would like to have somewhat of a flat stomach so I can wear my favorite shirts lol. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Also how long would it take me to say lose 10-20 pounds by doing sit ups running a lap and push-ups daily? Thanks all!

2. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Was thinking of like 20 sit-ups and push-ups then jog for 10min and do that twice a day as well as stick to an2000 calorie diet and drink lots of water...what do u all think? Would I lose pretty decent weight doing that? I'm all new to this weight loss thing so yea lol

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would try the LoseIt application. You don't need a mobile device. You can just log your food and exercise online. When I started at 201 (and I'm 5'9") the diet was recommending 1500 calories per day, not 2000. Then again, I was targeting 2 lbs/week loss. I forget what the calorie thresholds were for 1 pound per week. Either way, I think less than 2000 is the way to go.

As for exercises, I would say do whatever you can that's sustainable for half an hour to forty-five minutes a day, three to four days a week. Only with calorie reduction will this lead to weight loss.

Good luck!

Adrienne

4. LD579

Diet is probably the most important thing. Cut out all drinks besides water, and cut out junk food as well. You're aiming for healthy and nutritious eating with a calorie deficit from working out, ultimately. It'll be a shame to lose out on some of the yummy stuff, but it gives results. I did exercising 2-3x a week, and that, combined with my diet, led to losing 30 pounds in around 4 months. Granted, at the time I was coming off of medication which had caused weight gain, too, but the message is the same. Keep at it and good luck! Results aren't instantaneous.

5. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I've been working out for about 1,5-2 months now, more or less every day. I train in 3 day cycles with only body weight and small weights (4 kgs or 8,88 pounds):

Day one: abs, shoulders, biceps, triceps.
    Day two: abs, legs, butt.
    Day three: abs, chest, back.

I do abs every day because I got the advice that the abs are the slowest-developing muscle group, that in turn regenerates faster. I do as many as I can from all the above, then a little yoga, plus a bottle of natural concentrated whey protein. I'm noticeably stronger than when I started, and my muscles are more visible.

I achieved nothing until I started paying attention to my diet about 1 month ago. Last week the scales told me I lost almost 3 kgs in about a month. I eat as little as I can, but not so little that I starve. I stopped drinking and eating anything that has a lot of sugar and fat in it, I eat more fiber (for example oat-flakes), I drink a lot of mineral water too.

If you want fast weight loss, I recommend the proper diet and lots of exercises that make you sweat like a racehorse. High intensity interval training might be a good choice, look it up. But at the same time pay attention to your muscles, some days you should do some weightlifting too with smaller weights, plus increase your protein intake. One of my friends recommended about 2-2,2 pounds weight loss per week. If you lose too much weight in a short time, your skin won't be able to catch up, and it will hang.

Your ideal weight according to the calculating method I learned in school is about 125-139 pounds. I wish you a lot of willpower and determination. Those will take you to your goal.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am 5'5" as well and had gotten to about 220 pounds. I elimated sugar, carbs and processed foods from my diet and began a regular workout program. Today I am 180 pounds. Given I am 44, ideally it would be great if I could get to 175, but I have built muscle mass so that compensates for the weight differential between my ideal weight and current weight. Given your age, you might be able to target 170 and seee how it goes,

Might sound difficult at first, but your body reacts positively and then your lifestyle changes, making it a habit. At which point, you do not even think about it.

7. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    one thing don't diet hardly
    the only diet that can work and that is working for me is stay away from junk food and anything that is not organic instead of soy milk drink cow milk instead of orange juice that is sold in stores buy oranges and make your own juice stay away from soda chips and biscuits and also throw away all the white sugar you have and replace it with the more healthy organic brown sugar
    my hips got way too smaller after following this

8. nohalos

I was obese about a year ago, 88 kg (194 pounds), and 5'5.5". The ideal weight for me was 75 kg (about 165 lbs). I reached about 78 kgs but college happened so I gained weight again (I am now about 84 kg).

What I did was a lot of cardio. With me loving to dance, that pretty much was my cardio work out. I did it about 20-30 minutes a day, and I did some sit-ups, leg raises and crunches on the side.

Also, diet is very important. I pushed myself to eat less carbs (as an Asian, I love rice) and go for more protein.

I've also read that the best times for exercise are 1.) Before breakfast, 2.) After lifting weights.

Keep yourself motivated, though. :slight_smile: Losing weight takes a lot of work and time.

9. guitar

As someone who just lost a bunch of weight, there are a few things I recommend:
    1. Take in less calories than you use and you'll weight. Unless you're exercising a lot, 2000 is too many to take in.
    2. Don't cut out junk food & comfort food. It will only make you more likely to rebound your weight. Instead, take a handful of chips or eat half a chocolate bar instead & walk away.

3. Exercise! Walk lots, do some weights, etc. Keep active every single day, even if its 5 minutes of jumping jacks before a shower.

10. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

Yeah, I can relate... :grin: I was 80 kgs when I graduated from high school, then I reached 100 kilograms during university. I guess sitting around all day studying is good for your brain and your career, but not so good for your health.

AND RICE IS AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

11. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks all for the fantastic advice xD. I went to weigh myself this morning and I lost two pounds without knowing! I'm down to 202 now!

12. Queenbii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Average female needs 1800 calories a day. You eat 1500 calories, you lose corresponding weight, you eat 2000 calories, you gain weight. Simple, but it works!

13. Sam I Am

Some folks have already given good advice on exercise, and you seem to be on the right track there.

It's really hard to sustain cutting foods out of your diet, but it's much easier to sustain substitutions. For example:
    - If you get lattes, get them with 2% or nonfat milk instead of with whole milk.
    - Instead of putting butter or mayonnaise onto bread, use olive oil.
    - Do you like fruit? Get a lot of it. When you want to snack, just have a piece of fruit. The fiber is filling, and it's healthier than processed foods. Nuts are also a healthy snacking option.
    - Try to eat whole grains instead of white/processed grains.
    - Water, or unsweetened flavored waters, instead of soda or juice. The added sugars in soda and juice are huge, and since there's no fiber in drinks, the sugar goes straight to your liver and gets converted into fat.

Although stuff like olive oil and nuts still have lots of calories, they contain a higher ratio of healthy fats, which actually helps your body metabolize unhealthy fats faster and more efficiently.

Also, if you like to eat salads or other roughage, eat those foods about 20min before the meat/grain part of your meal. The roughage will form a filter in your digestive tract that the other nutrients have to pass through, making them enter your bloodstream more slowly, so your liver can process them more gradually and convert less of the surplus calories into fat.

Just a few tips off the top of my head. Message me if you want to know more. Good luck with your progress!

14. brocub

I am 6'2" and used to weigh 252lbs. It took my a little less than a year, but I got down to 175lbs. I'm stable at 182lbs with the way I eat. Here are my suggestions:

1. Be honest with what you eat. I hit plateaus in my weight loss because I was eating at maintenance for the weights I was stuck, too. I needed to reduce my caloric intake several times to continue losing weight. Once I started recalculating how much I ate and stuck to a deficit, I began losing weight again.

2. Eat less. You have your proposed caloric intake set to 2000, and in calculating your BMR (plus the extra calories required to do more than just stay in bed, this is going to be enough to function at a healthy weight, maybe a little more. Exercise will help improve by creating a deficit, but realistically the cardio you do is only burning about 100-200 calories. But if you do stick to this, it should take a bit over 5 months to lose 20lbs.

3. If you eat a lot one day, eat less the next. Most people within a normal weight range do this. If you go to a restaurant and have one of their portions (which is usually the caloric intake of an entire day), we eat less the next day to compensate. That, or we wait until that scheduled huge meal to eat. Of course, snack on something small fruit and veggies along with water to fill you up, but thin people do plan ahead. If you eat a lot one day, your body is still processing it the next. I find that if I weigh myself the morning after a big meal, I will be heavier than I am later in the day if I'm only drinking water and having something light.

4. Don't mistake thirst for hunger or hunger for starvation. Sometimes (and by that I mean a lot of the time) the grumbles in your stomach are signals that you need to rehydrate. Have a glass of water, wait 20 minutes, and see what happens. If you're still hungry, have something with high protein or high fiber. Those things actually fill you up. As far as the starvation thing, you have likely never felt starvation. Hunger pains may be uncomfortable, but they aren't going to kill you between when they start and when the meal is scheduled.

15. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. I don't have much advice on weightloss, just wanted to suggest talking to your physician, as it is usually a good idea to do so when planning on making drastic changes in your diet/level of activity. They can help you figure out the best route for you.

Also try not to worry about how long it takes to get to your ideal weight; I know a lot of people get frustrated early on, and either quit, or try using unsafe methods. We all just want you to lose weight in the safest way possible. :slight_smile: Good luck!

16. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks all for the wonderful comments and advice and tips I love them all! I've actually learned that if I stop all my constant snacking when bored and so on I don't eat as much just today from breakfast lunch and dinner with some light snacks in between I came to a total of 1620 calories =0 lol. See what the next day brings xD and just keep on going. Keeping track of how many calories I'm taking in hells tremendously from me snacking all the time as well as drinking water xD. Thanks again everyone!