1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is sexuality fixed or fluid?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by tRex37, Apr 27, 2015.

1. tRex37

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Can sexuality change over time, or is it fixed (the same) from birth? I would infer it doesn't change and remains constant throughout our lives, and I understand conversion "therapy" is harmful and ineffective. However I've heard of some people who "turned gay" later in life. Any thoughts? :smilewave

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it changes over time. I didn't used to be attracted to guys until a couple years ago. I'm sure if someone can turn gay they can also turn straight.

3. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Personally I think your sexuality is "fixed", for want of a better word, from birth and that people discover and understand their sexuality at different times and stages in their lives. For example someone might not know or accept they were LGBT+ until later in life compared to someone who has always known. Conversion therapy is wrong and you should never try or be forced to change who you are.

That being said I also believe that sexuality is fluid in the sense that sexuality isn't a one or the other situation. We aren't all either homosexual or heterosexual. Many people are in between or slightly more than the other and some of course are strongly homosexual or heterosexual. Your sexuality is what you understand it to be. You can like who you like and do what makes you happy. Labels only serve to pigeonhole us into categories we might not always fit 100% of the time.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

My opinion is that It's both- depending on the person. Some people are fluid, other people are fixed.

A lot of our preferences are like that, not just sexuality. Some people might like video games for a few years and move on, and others love video games their whole life.

I believe that my sexuality is fixed- as I've never experienced any change and view sex with men like incest emotionally, but I also think other lesbians can be curious and have exceptions.

I only hate when some bisexuals (Not saying all of them do this, just the ones at my LGBT groups) tell me that MY sexuality is fluid and I'll EVENTUALLY open up to men. They fail to understand that fluid means "changing" not "open to everything" and that the statement applies to them as well- They can also have a "fluid" sexuality, meaning that bisexuals can eventually become exclusively heterosexual or homosexual in the future.

5. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Beautiful.

But on a more serious note, I agree that sexuality is fluid. Because for me my attracrions to guys were there but wasn't as strong until recently when I experimented with a guy. So now that I lean much more towards guys, attracrions to girls are starting to wane.

6. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Mine is fixed.

7. LD579

It's probably impossible to prove whether it's one or the other or some mix, just because one's own view of oneself drastically influences any truth one could derive. It's never bad to explore within reason until you're comfortable with yourself, though.

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It shifts and develops in *many* people, in ways that can be rather unexpected.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's both, some people have fixed sexuality some are fluid

10. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As far as I can understand, there are two different levels to sexuality: Sexual identity and sexual orientation.

A person's sexual identity is the orientation that a person identifies with at a specific point in time. It often changes over a person's life time but in most cases it becomes relatively stable once a person settles down and finds a suitable partner. In the case of bi-sexuality, a person will often identify as only heterosexual or homosexual depending on his or her life circumstances.

On the other hand, A person's sexual orientation is innate and remains the same throughout a person's life and seems to be an inherent part of a person's biological makeup.

11. pointofnoreturn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I thought I was straight until I met her...I'd wanted to experiment, but figured I was still straight.
    Now that I love her, though, I don't have eyes for anyone else; that won't stop me from trying, but now it feels more fixed than it ever was when I was straight.

12. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, if sexuality is fluid, is it true that you can go gay or straight?

13. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good question. I think sexuality is fluid in that your true attractions can arise over time. It's most certainly true for me. One more thing is that while attractions can change, sexuality probably isn't fluid in that you can go from one side to the other, so in this case I don't believe that you can go from gay to straight, or vice versa.

But that's just my opinion.

14. Blakeee

I think it's fluid and can change but if it doesn't change then don't worry, that's perfectly normal too.

15. Im Hazel

It's fluid in a fixed way, the way I see it. Your attraction can change, but it happens in a predetermined way.