1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Serious discussion): Feminism!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Invidia, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Formality

Though I might agree with some of their ideas like with many other ideologies; my identity, ideas and philosophy is not that easy to pinpoint to simply accord myself in 'a box'. I find it sweeter having the freedom of choice in each matter and not to simply adjust to the idea that the ideology I chose has.

I think a huge problem with politics is people are too gullible, too sheep-like in that they follow the stream. To choose an ideology and simply believe what you're told doesn't sound very appealing to me.

2. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

This. Like I could ever understand straight women anyway :lol: why aren't they fucking eachother? Oh sorry.. You aren't wired that way? I'm not wired to sleep with males :lol: I am still a female though and I need feminism to help me in areas surrounding my sexuality and how it's fetishized by lots of men!

Thank god the guys in my family don't have shitty morals like the others I've encountered.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I believe in Equality and that is all i will ever have to say about Feminism

4. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Same.

I believe in equality. If you want to call me a "feminist" because of that, go ahead, but I probably won't use that label because of the negative connotations of that word.

I think the "movement" is often misguided and making mountains of molehills, but as long as people are truly working for equality, I couldn't care less what they do.

5. JohnX

Out Status:
    A few people
    Why be feminist if you can be equalist

[​IMG]

6. antibinary

I did several blog posts on the subject. If you want my opinions then read those.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Time to duck and cover, because it's going to hit the fan.

8. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

This thread didn't have enough smashing of the patriarchy.

*Queer Feminist goes back into hiding*

9. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like others have said, I'm more of an Equalist.

I believe trans* folk are definitely discriminated most and that men and women are discriminated against in different ways. There are so many stereotypes people pressure both genders into. I think if you want to be a girly girl or a manly man go for it. But most of us are somewhere in between gender roles and that's not a bad thing and should be embraced.

I think extreme anything is bad which includes feminism. Don't focus too much on differences or it will divide us as the human species. Men shouldn't have to avoid crying to "look weak" and women shouldn't be expected to be Martha Stewart.

I believe in the separate but equal rule in this case and everybody is a unique individual regardless of what's in between their legs. Discrimination based on such a silly thing doesn't make sense and should not be used against people.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I call it kindergarten feminism

11. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    You make the faulty assumption, if I may, that "choosing an ideology and simply believe what you're told" is a necessity. Choosing ideologies is all about establishing networks of basic principles to agree upon, such as feminists believe in gender equality as a basic principle, then you might disagree on some issues, such as some might be for absolutely free abortion and some might be for certain restrictions. It does not mean you necessarily have to hold every opinion everyone else in that movement does. The suffregettes in the UK and the US who pushed for women's right to vote did not agree on every issue concerning women in society, they agreed on the basics and thus formed a popular movement to secure and establish the right for women to vote.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2015 at 10:02 PM ----------

As I said, even though I am trans*, I'm not too harsh on the feminist movement for often leaving out trans* people in the equation, since we are a very small group. In the same way am I not too harsh on them for leaving out lesbians sometimes. However, if you don't feel represented my the movement, then do feel free to critisize, however, do so constructively. For example, I think that the 'distancing' thing above is an exagerration, it does not correspond to my personal experience with feminism at all.
    Chloe, no offence, but that's kind of offensive and a bit sexist. The guys in your family don't have "shitty morals like the others I've encountered.", thus making a generalized statement about men in general, that they have "shitty morals".

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2015 at 10:03 PM ----------

IMO, because feminism has actually achieved things and is not just an abstract internet-based ideal.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2015 at 10:04 PM ----------

Oh yes, I forgot, sister, forgive me <3

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2015 at 10:07 PM ----------

Basically every ideal you here held up is overwhelmingly held up by the feminist movement as well. And do note that feminism is a large movement with a lot of practical potential compared to e.g. equalism.

#51 Invidia, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  12. Formality

What I was trying to poke at is how people find it so important to label themselves as eg. Feminists, while my idea is that you don't need to. I believe it only creates borders that make discussion belligerent and in the end futile.

Obviously everyone is not entirely subservient in their thinking to simply accord themselves to whatever general opinion their group has. However I find, too often, that people are easily persuaded by fancy words and promises. Sure there have been very productive groups throughout history that have been fruitful in evoking positive changes, but then there are the groups that seem to care more about how they are perceived. Using their ideology as a kind of "accessory", if that makes any sense.

I also have to disagree on your statement that "feminists believe in gender equality as a basic principle". I guess it depends, but from what I've collected the majority of feminists are inadvertently against gender equality.

13. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think gender equality is very important. However, I've been yelled at (read: caps locked and sent angry emojis) enough times -by all sides of the argument- that I don't care much to be involved in these threads any more. It's too easy for people to twist someone's words to either be for or against there side.

14. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally believe that if feminism is for equal rights for everyone, than it's using the wrong terminology for it. I used to believe that women had it worse when I was younger, but when I transitioned, I realized that it's about even. It's only that the issues are different. What issues do women have? Gender roles, not being taken seriously, taken as weak ect. What issues do men have? Gender roles, not being able to show emotions, higher drop-out and suicide rates ect. Then, trans people such as myself deal with social dysphoria, transphobia, ridicule ect.

To be honest, women don't have it worse, they have it different. Yes, we need to fix those issues but that doesn't mean men's issues should be ignored. By labeling the movement feminism, it officially gives more credit to female issues, whether that's the intent or not.

15. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

But the problems that both genders face are due to misogyny, not that someone has it worse than the other.

Think about it; WHY are men oppressed over gender roles, being gay, not being able to show emotions, etc? Because It's likened to "being like a woman".

I'm not saying that statement to say that women have it worse either. Just that the original views of women caused it to be harmful to anyone who is perceived as a woman. It's for the same reason straight men also face homophobia if they do anything that society sees as a stereotype of gay men.

I believe feminism is appropriate because you can liken it to "Feminine" oppression or "Perceived as a woman" like oppression. Men can fall into both of those categories and that is how the patriarchy harms us both.