1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Problems of Being Nonbinary and Pansexual.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GoWithTheFlow, Apr 23, 2015.

1. GoWithTheFlow

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hopefully, I'm not the only one who feels this way, as someone who's genderfluid and pansexual.

I think it's really awesome that I have to confidence to openly say at school that I'm not a girl, or a boy. And y'know, I like who I like, I chase the pretty ladies, the hot guys, and any attractive nonbinary people as well.
    The problem is that a lot of people see I'm different, and veer away from me because of it. Straight girls think "they're technically (and biologically) a girl, so no", thought this one's understandable because of the biological part. Straight guys think "well they're technically a guy, so no."

As much as I love being free and not having to conform to a gender, it does get restrictive when it comes to dating. Anyone else share this problem?

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being nonbinary can definitely make dating harder. Really, being any sort of trans makes dating harder. There are always going to be people who won't date you because of your biological sex or because sometimes you ID as a gender they're not attracted to, but there are also going to be people who are going to be completely accepting of how you identify.

I'm dating a pansexual girl so it's not something I'm dealing with at the moment, but it was definitely problematic for me before. I'm happiest dating a girl who will consider me to be her boyfriend, but I look too feminine to attract straight girls (and then you add the fact that I'm not even a trans guy, I'm genderfluid and mostly male, so even if the straight girls were okay with me looking feminine, they still wouldn't 100% be dating a guy) and dating lesbians makes me uncomfortable. It's a struggle.

3. Yesnomaybe

Yay for genderfluid pansexuals!!! I don't really have these problems because I'm not out to the world. Though when I came out to my boyfriend he was kinda hesitant at first because he thought that it'd make him less straight to date me, so I understand how other guys would think that.

4. GoWithTheFlow

Out Status:
    All but family
    I remember a couple years back I thought I was bi (well, I was pretty close, but whatever) and I came out to my boyfriend at the time and he was okay with it, so I guess sexual preference doesn't affect it all too much. Though when I started to question my gender, I did "crossdress" (I mean, I technically labeled myself as cis back then, if ya get me) when I was with him once, and he didn't really want me to cuddle up to him or anything unless I was girly. Bluh.

Though this year, I did date a girl for a bit who already knew I was genderfluid beforehand, so it was really nice to date someone who accepted me for who I was, rather than rejecting me for what I was. Though it was funny, because she didn't know whether to call me her boyfriend or girlfriend, and to be frank, I didn't know either! XD

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2015 at 06:03 PM ----------

Your girlfriend is an example of how pansexuals will forever make life easier-- //HIT XD

In all seriousness though, I have gotten those problems. There was this guy I liked earlier this year, and I was really scared to cut my hair short (since it used to be one of those awkward shoulder length haircuts (or at least it was awkward on me)) because I always thought he'd never want to date me at all since I technically am part guy. On the bright side, he's basically my best friend now, and he accepts me just as I am!

It's always great to find a nice pan guy or girl, since they really try to look at the person's character, rather than genitals, or gender label. That's actually why I identify as genderfluid and pansexual; to try to be seen for my characteristics, not for "the girl that has boy hair" or "the boy with boobs".

Shit, that just got deep. ^^;