1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Jenner in the media

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ahundredpennies, Apr 22, 2015.

1. photoguy93

I am shocked that there really isn't a lot of support being shown on here. I figured this would have been one of the most populated posts, because, you know...it's kind of a big fucking deal.

I watched the interview tonight and was moved by it. I saw someone who has STRUGGLED his entire life with this. For many of us on here, we have not had to do that. We have had a small amount, compared to 60+ years of knowing who you are but not being able to come out with that.

The media has sensationalized it. That's what the media does. It'd be like trying to live among tigers and then getting upset that you were attacked.

But guess what? This is ignited the conversation about being trans. If you actually watched the interview, you'd see the pain, the happiness, the sadness, the joy...EVERYTHING. It moved me. It truly did.

In regards to the pronoun - first, it highlights that a lot of people are confused by it in general. Doesn't that show a need for more education? I think so! Also, Bruce isn't totally there yet. I don't mean physically - he even referred to "her" and how when "she" comes out, it'll be simple and not extravagant.

We all have struggled with our journey. I know I did! Just because I came out didn't mean I had all the answers. I think the same has happened with Bruce. You could see excitement when he was talking about the dress he would wear, but then you could also see the nervousness when talking about the transition in general. I hope everyone watches it. Forget that he's part of the Kardashian family and a famous person. If people want to bash him, that's on them. It's kind of ironic, because I've seen many posts here about trans advocates - - - who are getting reality shows or writing books and all that. How are they any different? They're famous, too. I hope we can give EVERYONE respect and love. That's what matters in life. <3

2. iamgroot

Out Status:
    Some people
    It was a great interview. They explained a lot of things very clearly. The basics of what trans is basically. Also, Jenner had humor and was genuine and open and lovely. I approve :grin:

3. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm really happy for Bruce.

4. 741852963

I watched parts of the interview and thought Jenner came across really well, a very positive spirit and very candid.

5. Minnie

I think Captain Picard's facepalm describes how I feel about all these people going berzerk about Jenner's transition and who are so insensitive about it, especially the media.

6. bi2me

I'm glad Jenner decided to make a bigger deal out of it. It gives trans people who are not out a person who is in the media spotlight they can point to and say, 'it's a little like Bruce Jenner, but different for me in these ways...' Sort of like when Ellen came out 20ish years ago. If those with power and media spotlight can help pave the way for those without, and can help 'normalize' something that frankly seems unfathomable to much of the population, I say good for them!

7. CyclingFan

Agreed. Although, I think I find the transphobia in the gay community to be more offensive. I've been on a few dates with this fella recently and he said a couple things this morning that were ugh, such a turnoff.

8. crystalgem

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sad about the shaming and bullying, but Jenner specifically said that he wanted people to use he/him until further notice!!!

9. sharkpool

hi! first of all, i'm surprised this thread hasn't been very popular.

i haven't watched the interview yet but i've read several articles on it and there are two things that don't make sense to me:

. He said “For all intents and purposes I’m a woman” but he also asked people to use male pronouns.

. He said that he has never liked men and that he was heterosexual. If he dentifies as a woman, wouldn't he be a lesbian?

My only explanation is that all of this is new to him and he doesn't know how to react.
    Could someone explain/ shed a light on this?

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what is disturbing to me the hostility over Jenner in lgbt community basically stating he is not a hero or a brave person because he chose to hide it for a long time. Personally it is despicable to claim he is a coward because in the 1970's or 1980's it would be easy to understand Jenner's fears and insecurity over being open. And no it is not just from lgbt people i heard straight people even saying he is a coward for not being true to himself in his early days and that he should be ashamed of himself. Many people have lived that lie in any sexuality group and i would never go as far as calling them a coward or a pathetic human being. It boggled my mind this gay man who is older than me in his fifties tell me he rather live in the 1950's cause life was simpler and is not grateful for Harvey Milk and what he did for gay rights and stuff like that. I thought that was crazy of him to say life was better in the 1950's but whatever. Jenner did what mean others felt forced to do and should not be blamed for it especially from straight people who never been in our shoes.

11. Summer Rose

Tense can do wonders for sentences. Bruce was straight, but now she would be a lesbian.

Anyways, the media will be the media. What really matters is how the lgbt community reacts to it. Personally, I'm glad she's taking the slow, humble approach; no need to blow it out of proportion, which is probably pissing off -drama- news stations. I hope, as I do for all who transition, that she deals with it in the best way possible.

12. DoriaN

Well, watch the interview and it'll make sense.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is where getting oneself free of the tyranny of labels is really important...he stated that first and foremost, he is a human being, deserving of the dignity due any human being.

14. O.Snap!

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Bruce Jenner is a little before my time so, admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about him.... except for the Wheaties box, that is. Bruce's story is all over Twitter and since someone provided a link, I just finished watching a couple of segments of the Diane Sawyer interview and I plan to watch it in its entirety when they make it available "On Demand."

Much of it brought tears to my eyes. He was so raw and emotional and forthcoming with all he's been though. I was sad to learn that he's lived with such pain his entire life. I truly feel bad for him because I'm afraid that telling his story will add fuel to the fire of every comedian looking for an easy laugh. I'm sure he's thought of that as well, and I admire him for going forward with his story in spite of what may lie ahead. I hope he finds peace.