1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I genderfluid?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by UnderTheRainbow, Apr 21, 2015.

1. UnderTheRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I sometimes want to wear man clothes, have people think I am a boy, etc., etc. Other times, I want to wear that awesome dress I saw, paint my nails, etc., etc. Sometimes multiple times a day. I think that is genderfluid, sorry if I am wrong. If I am wrong, what am I?

On a sort of different note, I am thinking of getting a haircut that both a boy and girl would have? Advice?

Sorry if I have insulted anyone somehow,I do that a lot.

2. Acm

Acm Guest

Well if it's just about clothes and stuff, that sounds more like a changing gender expression to me, not necessarily connected to gender identity.

3. Aaren

Genderfluid here too. I like to be on both sides. I also cut my hair in a boyish style so that I could pass as both. But I don't really have a boyish look in me so it's still pretty obvious that I'm not a boy. I can pass for a feminine boy I think :grin: At least I accepted I'll never be the tough masculine type of a person. But nothing wrong with feminine boys I think. I used to date that kind of guys and now I prefer little more masculine girls. I still label myself as a female because I sure am and a lot of people don't understand what genderfluid is so I don't have the need to explain it to people. I would tell my romantic partner. The label is not really so important to me as in a way that I should come out but it does explain some things about how I feel about myself and at least someone who I would be intimate with should know. I don't know how other people feel it but when I'm in a boyish mood I also want a body of a boy. So it's not just clothes and style. But when I'm in a femme mood I don't want to change my body.

To your question... It's up to you if you want to label yourself and to decide if you feel the need to tell people about it. if it'll make you better then why shouldn't you cut your hair? As long as you feel good in your own skin :slight_smile:

4. UnderTheRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The. I guess I am afraid of cutting my hair because it has always been long, and I am afraid of change. Also, the last time I got my hair cut, my mom cut it. It was extremely uneven, but my hair grew the crazyniess out.

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Max. What you've described is changing gender expression. What you wear and how you present yourself doesn't determine your gender identity. Is there anything else that makes you think your gender is changing, or is it just how you present yourself?

6. UnderTheRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I guess I just feel that I am not 'only' a girl. That doesn't really make sense, though, does it?

7. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That does make sense, but since I can't feel what you're feeling, it's not quite enough information for me to be able to help you more.

A few questions, so I can get a better sense of what you're feeling:
    Do you feel uncomfortable being seen / referred to as a girl?
    What pronouns make you feel most comfortable?
    Do you experience physical dysphoria?
    If there were no gender roles and you could do / wear whatever you wanted whenever you wanted to, would you still feel like your gender was changing?

8. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ up there
    that is how I feel at times
    Being genderfluid, I have times wheres I want to be considered a girl and other times when I internally feel like a guy and wish I looked like ones as well.
    feeling like 'you're not only a girl' makes perfect sense to me.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

First off, gender identity has nothing to do with interests; all of that is just a social construction. There are trans men who wear dresses and make up, and trans women who cut their hair short and go out practicing with guns. I am a cis woman, but I am very masculine; I would never be caught dead doing anything that's usually associated with how women are supposed to act.

What would make you genderfluid is if you feel internally both male and female. It's a brain issue. You can wear dresses and makeup 100% of the time and be non-binary.