1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Does Cultural Appropriation Become Offensive?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Apr 21, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

I think it become offensive when say, a White American girl decides she wants to wear a Gele because "she thinks it looks cute" and completely disregards the meaning of the piece of clothing, when it's supposed to be worn, why it's worn etc etc. If she kept all this in mind, there wouldn't be an issue in my opinion. What do you think?

2. Hizaki

I think people can do whatever they want. If one honestly wants to look like something or someone, they can at least be given that opportunity.

I just want to say that you seem to make a big deal out of this, when really it doesn't need to be. Would it be offensive to you if a "White American girl" (choice words might I add) wore a kimono? It's part of the human culture, right?

Alright then, what if a Japanese woman wore a t-shirt?

Or what about the well-contacted Amazonians running around in denim jeans?

Not everything has to be offensive.

3. ZenMusic

I think reducing things other cultures hold dear to fashion accessories is just a little insulting.

---------- Post added 21st Apr 2015 at 12:46 PM ----------

And minorities cannot appropriate the dominant culture.

4. LD579

It's, in my opinion, not as simple as that. Society's attitude to what isn't considered standard (White, middle class, straight, cisgender, etc.) is often derogatory or dismissive. There is a lot of privilege that comes inherent with being part of that standard. When people from that standard take things that they like from other cultures while those things are simultaneously berated if a person of that culture wears/does it, it's a symptom of a larger problem beyond any one person and very reminiscent of colonialist ideals.

This doesn't mean that the intent was offensive if, for example, a white person wears a kimono, but it's very important to be cognizant of the fact that while it might be cute/chic for them to do it, they don't have to carry the baggage that a Japanese person might have to if they did it in western countries. By all means in this globalizing world, realistically we could only let people do as they like, but it's best to remain respectful of where it was taken from and what it actually means, rather than just picking and choosing, and condemning the heritage of that product.

There is appropriation, and then there is assimilation, and there's a power difference in there between the ideal standard and everything else outside that standard. Particularly in the US, there's a lot of islamophobic and racist/xenophobic sentiments towards the middle east (Ex. Turbans and hijabs) and India (Ex. Henna) where it's considered trendy or fashionable for white people and/or celebrities to have these things to make a fashion statement without having to deal with any of the negativity (Ex. An Indian-American girl being told that henna is gross and growing up with that notion in her head). It's of course more nuanced and beyond any one individual but hopefully that helps explain the issue.

5. Hizaki

All good points.

When did anyone say anything about minorities or majorities? And you know that white people (whom you seem to be jabbing) aren't a majority everywhere in the world, right? I would stand out in almost every non-European or non-American country very well, and probably wouldn't be welcomed, in the same way that immigrants aren't viewed well in the western world.

And for the record, it's just clothes. Admittedly, I don't know much about headties (gele, etc.), but I'm sure they aren't weren't originally a "proud of being ___" or "fight the ____" symbol, so how can it be held any more dear by them than someone else?

Would you rather see some white girls with a headtie (which btw exists in some form in EVERY culture of the world), or would you want to see the white menace swing by and club anybody who doesn't conform exactly? The first is hopefully preferable.

6. ZenMusic

You said this :
    Japanese woman wore a t-shirt?
    I'm talking about groups of ethnic minorities living in a white-dominated society. Assimilating a culture that is the dominant one is not appropriation.

---------- Post added 21st Apr 2015 at 01:33 PM ----------

And unless white people were historically oppressed in societies where they are not the majority, it probably isn't appropriation.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it matters at all. It's just a piece of clothing.

8. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm just going to... leave this here...

[YOUTUBE]Y7Z159JNbqg[/YOUTUBE]

9. Hizaki

You answered like... half of a single question of mine.

I'm not going to waste any more time here. You're 15, and in my opinion, far too concerned about how the "straight white cis males" (as they say on Tumblr) hate you or your characteristics. Feel free to to tell me your thoughts on me, too; I'm not perfect.

10. Aaren

I don't think it's offensive. I like and respect different cultures and when you come in a different culture people usually welcome if you accept their customs because they feel you are showing respect to their culture. I know there is a different setting but why it would be less respectful if you would do that in a different environment? I think it's rather positive and that this girl is breaking some prejudices. I don't think we should exclude people from doing or wearing something because they aren't the "right" race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation etc. I think that different cultural experiences make your life richer and also give you a sense that you belong to a World not just in different drawers.

11. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cultural appropriation is the dumbest concept I've ever heard of

12. Jellal

I say leave it up to the individual to decide what's offensive to them. Not everyone has the same standards. I despise the bleeding heart SJW types who get offended on behalf of others.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fashion-wise, I don't care much. As long as people aren't disrespecting national flags or wearing unearned military commendations just because, all the rest is fair game. Although maybe I'm biased because there's really little in the way of American symbols that other people would "appropriate" without knowing what they mean.

One I can think of is not specifically American, but Catholic: I see people occasionally wearing a rosary necklace, while fairly sure in the conclusion that they don't actually use it for its intended purpose. I'm not Catholic so it's irrelevant to me. It does come off as a little weird though.

#13 Argentwing, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  14. iamgroot

Out Status:
    Some people
    Not everything has to have meaning and you cannot especially force other people to give it the same thought as you do. This is one of the things that you just have to live with. Sometimes .. things just look nice. They should pick an uglier thing to represent their culture if they don't want other people to copy it.

3/4 Pants, 3/4 Sleeves, Empire waists, Jeans with no back-pockets

-AL​

15. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Why?
    Are they wearing it make fun of said culture or otherwise express negative opinion on said culture?
    If not, why do you care?
    There's virtually no culture, btw, that hasn't appropriated from previous cultures.

Of course they can.

16. ZenMusic

OK, shoot.

17. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Well, I'm going to get stoned for this, but whatever...
    In one single day, we have one thread making fun of straight people, and now the "majority", aka white people.
    Why some of us have the need to further create division based on races/beliefs/trans/masc/fem? I'm hungry and I'm disappointed.
    Now I think that being proud of something you're not in control of is a bad thing. It undoubtedly creates a "us vs them" mindset. And I also think that some are afraid of the alternative, which is to feel shame. In this case, pride has become a defense mechanism.
    Just a rambling of an asian guy in a white country.

18. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I think you are mistaken...

White people are a minority in the world, the average human being is Chinese. If we're talking race, that makes Asians the majority.

Anyways, Japanese people tweak their traditional fashions into modern styles all the time. They are not offended by westerners wearing kimono, either. In fact, they seem to enjoy it, as they have made many different art depicting western ladies in kimono.
    Japanese wear China dress as fashion too..

It's not offensive, it's beautiful clothing no matter what culture it comes from.

19. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Curious, what if the things behind the piece of clothing are the reason why she's wearing them? For example, what if it represents a part of her identity?

20. Lazuri

I think that people like you is the reason why everybody is so afraid to offend anybody these days. Sometimes it feels like people are just looking for reasons to get offended.