1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Biological Same-Sex Parent Babies Could Be a Reality by 2017

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by -Lana-, Apr 19, 2015.

1. -Lana-

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

GUYS GUYS GUYS OMG You have to check this out!!

CLICKY HERE

This is massive! This could be the beginning of equality between heterosexuality and homosexuality! This could be the first step!

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So how would we men give birth to a baby?

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel like this type of procedure goes against bioethics. It seems that the point of LGBT people is to take care of parentless children in need. The idea of going through this extent just for a biological child is rather disconcerting.

It's a surrogation process in which a women carries the fertilized egg in her womb.

4. Foz

Foz Guest

I'm not so sure about this, the debate opposing it seems to be largely about the fear of 'designer babies'. However my main concern with DNA manipulation is the possible creation of new birth defects we won't know how to treat.

5. 741852963

One of my fears also, ten-twenty years down the line we might see some new problems.

Also it does beg the question, would this not redefine humanity? As humans by all present definitions are produced from male and female DNA. Surely these new babies would be somewhat "different" in that respect. Spliced humans.

Its all a bit scary for me and whilst I'm willing to accept these may be the changing times its not something I want for myself or foresee in my future. It seems more science for science sake given heterosexual reproduction is working fine and we aren't facing population decline. I appreciate having biological offspring may be a nice idea, but is it worth twisting science this much for?

6. Manitoban

If it was solely used for same-sex couples and other who physically couldn't and no altercations were made to the person maybe.

However it would never end just there. I don't really like the overall idea of this.

I agree with Skaros that letting same-sex couples live freely would hopefully giving adopted children a home finally...

7. WallWeed

This is scary stuff. In theory it's pretty neat, yeah, but the ramifications of it are largely unknown and probably detrimental.

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I truly cannot wait to see how that goes. Unlike many, I'm hopeful about it.

9. PossumJack

Interesting, but I highly doubt it would actually be available for "consumer-use" by 2017. Even if they manage to perfect the process and technology required it'll still be decades before they can clear up all the red tape which would surround such a procedure. Like what others have said, we're playing with fire here and should carefully consider the implications which might result from it.

10. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even then, I'm still not having any kids...

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is such a neat thing.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I wonder if this could be used to make clones, too...then, I could move to a compound in Idaho, and create thousands of myself, and rule the world!

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or we could wait until we actually know something solid about it before nay-saying.

Just a thought.

#14 Aussie792, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  15. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That sounds neat and I'm hopeful for it.
    I do think that 2017 is too soon for such a complex thing, so I'd say we might have some solid results by 2030.

16. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it any more moral for straight couples to have fertility treatment while there are children up for adoption than it is for gay couples? If so, why? Should straight couples even try for babies when there are children to be adopted?

There's no such thing as male DNA or female DNA. About half of my genes I got from my mother. Some of those genes were not expressed in her because she is female, but she still carried them. In me, her genes were mixed up with those of my father and unless you compared my DNA to that of my parents you wouldn't be able to tell where I got any particular gene.

The exception is in the 23rd pair of chromosomes, where if you inherit your fathers 23rd X chromosome your genes for a female human will be expressed, but if you inherit his Y chromosome genes for a male human will be expressed. But I don't think anyone would try to give an embryo two Y chromosomes, and I'm pretty sure such an embryo wouldn't be viable anyway.

Do you define a human as something born from male and female humans? A similar argument could have been made that IVF babies were unnatural.

17. 404dotexe

You realise this whole thing is just a excuse for cloning to be OK. At least as far as I see it

18. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Actually, I don't even think infertile straight couples should be doing experiments that will give themselves biological children. The fact that the world is already overpopulated and that there are so many children without parents is what makes me mad. I don't think people should stray from the natural reproduction cycle, and I say this regardless of sexual orientation.

19. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something bad will come out of this -_+
    But something good will to ^_°
    I do want to adobt if i get married but i want to have at least one child of my own

20. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Interesting perspective of the "point of LGBT people."

As a bisexual, I could have had sex with any number of women in my youth and produce offspring. Of course, I never really loved anyone that much, or thought myself responsible enough to bring a child into the world. My wife and I waited to long till we tried in our late 30's, early 40's. 5 years ago we decided to adopt, and were blessed to find a messed up 11 year old in the state system to take care of. Now of course, I'm separated, and digging guys a whole lot more.

If I were to find the perfect "one" person for me, I'd want genetic offspring with that person. Male or female.