1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know what I am

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Aaren, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Aaren

I knew I am attracted to the opposite sex since I was a child. I kind of ignored that part of me. I dated several guys in my teens. So after I ended a long term relationship with a guy I finally openly admitted that I like women and I also kind of came out as a bisexual. The thing that is not clear to me is that since I came out as bi and admitted that I like women, I don't really feel any attraction towards men any more. It doesn't feel natural to me to be with a man and I see myself with a woman. I just can't imagine any other way any more. I'm confused. Was I repressed lesbian all the time??? Or am I bisexual and just doesn't feel it at the moment? I want to ask people who are bisexual. Is it possible that you just have a period when you don't feel attraction towards a certain gender? Because I can't explain why I've been with several guys in my teens and now I don't want to be with a man. It kind of sucks to tell people that I'm a lesbian all of a sudden but I don't feel I'm bisexual either. But maybe I am since I was with men before. I don't know.

2. Aaren

I meant to write same sex. Maybe it was a Freudian slip and I am bisexual after all lol.

3. Lyana

If the only reason you think you're bi, not gay, is because you've had relationships with men, then that reasoning is faulty. It's far from rare for lesbians to have dated men in their teens -- either because they didn't know they were attracted to women only, or because it was expected of them, etc. Behavior is different from orientation.

However, if you were attracted to guys at the time, if you wanted to date them and be romantic and physical with them, then yeah, you might not be gay.

I'm bi. I don't get phases where I'm interested in one gender only, but other bi people definitely do (or at least, phases where they're significantly more interested in one gender).

4. mindthegap

I agree with Lyana. Being in a relationship with guys before doesn't necessarily mean you have to be bisexual. There are so many people who are in heterosexual relationship before they realise they are actually gay. What is important is how that made you feel. Did you enjoy being with those boys? Did it feel good and natural to you?
    If you feel like bisexual label doesn't suit you, don't be afraid to change that. It's not like you are in a 'bisexual box' for the rest of your life.