1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No clue whatsoever about names....

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Folieadeux, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Folieadeux

So I've been going by Ian with my councilor, sister, and friend for a couple months now, but I don't really know how I feel about it?

I think it fits me quite well, but I just think that something else would make me feel more comfortable. I was looking through baby boy names, but none of them seemed to fit me either. Out of all of them, Ian still fit me the best.

All of a sudden it popped in my head that a unisex name might be a really good idea for me, and I was looking through them, and none of them really stood out to me that much, but I liked Alex and Skylar the most (funny; they are also two FTM YouTubers :slight_smile:, but there might still be another name I am more comfortable with?

I feel like with having Ian as my name, it pushed me in a corner and I felt like I had to act super masculine, which I'm not, but then with a unisex name, I feel like I can still be a boy, but a more feminine one? That's probably not a universal feeling, but just something I feel.

So, I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what name do you think best suits me? By looking at my more recent pictures, do you think either of those two names (Alex and Skylar) fit me, or maybe some other unisex name? Any opinions would be fantastic!
    Also, how did you pick your name? Did you get inspiration from somewhere? How did you find one that just clicked with you?

Thank you so much everyone! Have a fantastic day.

2. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm what about Jordan, Isaiah, Daniel? To me those names look like they would fit you o:

3. Im Hazel

I really like Skyler or Skylar. I checked a site and one was Maceo, which was the name of James Brown's saxophonist.

As an aside, I watch both of those Youtubers, if we are thinking of the same ones. :3

4. Folieadeux

Thank you very much to the both of you!

Jordan is a nice name, but I have bad memories of it because I associate it with a certain person. ;'(

Oh! I forgot there was two spellings, ha ha. Honestly, I'm leaning most towards Skylar (or Skyler) most right now, but I still don't know.
    Maceo is a really unique name! I don't really see it on me, but it is certainly very cool. :'0

TheRealAlexBertie and skylark11? ;'D

I think the main thing that is making choosing a name so hard is that, if you are fine with the one given to you at birth, it feels completely normal because you were used to it for years and haven't heard anything different. When you are choosing a new one though, it is so hard to get used to, and you are so used to the old one that it gets confusing! It's also hard to know which one fits you best, because you have to think about the future as well, and when you are a baby, none of this concerns you...

Thank you very much again, to both of you!

5. Im Hazel

Yup, that's them! I have watched pretty much all of TheRealAlexBertie's videos at this point, apart fro ones about binding and stuff. He's really funny... No probs. Yeah, I don't really know why I mentioned that name. I basically just wanted an excuse to post about the fact that I watch those Youtubers. :slight_smile:

6. Yesnomaybe

I'm having the same problem!! I've been looking for a gender neutral name on baby names sites but none of them feel right to me either. Maybe try a shortening or something not too far from your birth name? Anyways, good luck ☺️

7. ApexxShadow

Skylark11 is awesome! I love his channel :3

Maybe Adrien/Adrian, Kasey/K.C, etc. Whatever makes you feel most comfortable :slight_smile:

8. Outlier

Well, Alex IS an awesome name (not bias or anything :slight_smile: )

Either one would suit you. If I were you I'd have someone try them each out for a day or two and see which sounds best to you when you hear it out loud.

BTW, Skylarkeleven is awesome! I love that guy. I've never seen Alex though, I'm going to go check him out.

9. 42Bowties

For unisex names another idea is Jackie, could be either just sayin'.

10. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Names are always an issue, but really just trial and error helps figure out what feels nice. And in the end you can always have multiple names! My full name's Alystor but I hardly ever go by that b/c even though I love it, it isn't comfortable to be used all the time?

Unisex names are hella, but don't be afraid to pick something "masculine" because you don't think you're masculine enough. You do you and good luck<3

11. Folieadeux

Thank you so so much to the people that have helped me out!
    And I wish you luck on choosing a great name!

Okay, so I think now I'm deciding between Ashton and Skyler! I really love both, so it's really hard for me to decide... Any thoughts?

12. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I think Ashton is a wicked name man, I've gone with Alec after being Austin for so long, you're not alone. Go with your gut, maybe even practice saying "My name is____" and see which feels more comfortable. Just what I've been doing. :slight_smile:

13. fragileflame

I like Jamie as a unisex name, but I think Alex suits you and so does Skylar. Taylor is also a cute unisex name..

14. Folieadeux

Thank you very much to the both of you!
    (Alec is an awesome name - good choice)
    Jamie is a cute name, but it's also my cat's nickname, so some troubles would come up with my family, ha ha. :slight_smile:

I'm going to ask my sister if today she can call me Ashton, and tomorrow Skyler so I can see how it sounds coming from someone else's mouth.
    That's also a good idea to try out saying "My name is _____"! I also am trying to imagine which one I would be most comfortable with a teacher calling it out in class, my parents talking to me, etc.

15. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One more thing to consider - and obviously don't tell us here what it is - do consider how it works with your last name(s), what your new initials would be, etc... If you have the opportunity to pick something, might as well avoid bad combos that could be a source of frustration or teasing down the road.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finding your true name is a fun adventure in of itself. If you need more ideas, there are websites that can help. I think some have sections like "hipster names" and "hero names".

17. Folieadeux

Thank you very much!
    Yeah, that's definitely a good thing to bring up! Nothing embarrassing is spelled with my initials, so that's good, ha ha! :')

Yeah, I think I'm pretty set on Ashton! I'll try it out for a while! I'm leaning towards that instead of Skyler, but I'm gonna have some self-reflection or something to really think about things!

18. ForAlgea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a little late on my reply to this, but I love the name Ashton, it is my favorite name for a guy! If it didn't sound so bad with the rest of my name I would have used it for myself!

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take all the time you need :slight_smile:

20. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation: