1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA: What do you look for in the next president

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Some Dude, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Of course I want a well-trained and tough military. However, we can cut military spending by bring all of our troops home and eliminate all bases that aren't on U.S territory. Also, the money doesn't really go towards our nation's defense, it goes towards weapons programs like the Joint-Strike programs, which costs so much money and hasn't really done anything to protect our country. The money also goes towards the defense of OTHER nations. If we simply stop our intrusive presence on other countries, we could easily cut our military spending.

On the side note, we don't need to go around the world and be everybody's policeman to show how tough we are.

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2015 at 08:03 PM ----------

It isn't the responsibility of the U.S to get every nation out of poverty since we can't even help ourselves. Until we can, we need to end almost all foreign aid. I'm not saying that we shouldn't help out when a terrible hurricane (typhoon, cyclone, whatever you want to call it).

#41 anthonythegamer, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  2. Gen

Gen

Here's the thing:

1. Humanitarian efforts, such as taking initiatives to end global poverty and inequality extends be, extend beyond helping the poor. Poverty is the leading cause of global unrest, terrorism, and war. There is a reason why the first worlds hardly ever sees internal revolts and widespread violence (to the degree of the 2nd and 3rd, that is). There is a reason why the U.S., U.K., or Canada are not currently waging war over resources and that has everything to do with our economic status in the world. Our access to the necessary supplies to meet basic needs.

Even when we look historically within wealthier nations, there is no question that the economic state of early twentieth century Germany was a central catalyst behind the quickness of the population to accept Hitler and the resulting holocaust. Reducing foreign aid would without a doubt lead to increased conflict and violence worldwide. Conflict that is going to eventually find its way back to our doorsteps.

2. Western society is built on the resources that are squeezed out of the third world. Humanitarian efforts carried out by western countries at this point are far less about good service and much more about bring aid to countries that are suffering primary because of our actions. We are the ones accounting for +80% of resource consumption worldwide despite housing only a fraction of the human species. We are the one's living off their land. Offering foreign aid requires trillions less than actually paying for the resources we steal for what they are actually worth.

3. tscott

Finally, someone who recognizes what this country needs - a leader. I'd like to find another Teddy Roosevelt. Unfortunately, there is no one like this on the horizon, and the banks and the big money will not allow such a candidate to run.

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously Anti Religion? This not a communist country. A anti religion president would never be elected anyway and it would a president just as bad as a homophobic bigot. Anti-Religon or Anti-gay is all bad in it's self. They are both hateful groups. A pro gay pro religion president is even better for this country and there are a such thing christian democratic politicians and they are the majority anyway. I am not saying atheism should not be tolerated I am just saying all beliefs should be respected by the government.

5. CyclingFan

Is FDR still available?

6. RainDreamer

Something I think is relevant:
    [YOUTUBE]HNgqVtD33Jg[/YOUTUBE]

7. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    - Non smoker
    - Non ugly
    - Tops only
    - No fems

8. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lmao

9. Aquilo

From an EU perspective:

Someone who:
    - Tries to reduce climate change.
    - Doesn't create disasters by invading countries without a good governance and counter-insurrection plan.
    - Tries to stop nuclear proliferation,
    - But doesn't bomb countries into the stone age, because 'the enemy can't be trusted'.
    - Regulates Wall Street, with restrictions on banks and not too long periods of low interest during economic booms, to ensure that USA financial meltdowns don't effect the rest of the world.
    - Doesn't play the European nations against each other.
    - Reduces NSA-like spionage.

So.. you can see why the Bush administration wasn't too popular around here..

Additional things I'd like (nice for Americans, but not necessarily vital for the rest of the world:
    Someone who:

- Appoints progressive Supreme Court judges.
    - Is pro-LGBT
    - Is pro-abortion
    - Is pro gun control

Fantasy things which are not going to happen:
    Someone who:

- Changes the 'two-party' system to proportional representation.
    - Is a green social-liberal.
    - Adds real secularisation to the USA.
    - Reduces the lobbying by corporations and places a very low limit on election donations/person.
    - Changes the law-creation process so bills may only describe one issue (useful for the next point).
    - Stops the loop-holes that allow tax evasion by rich people and corporations.
    - Creates fair 'free trade' agreements with other countries.

10. Formality

I'm not american but your election effects the rest of the world so I feel I have the right to at the very least, share my opinion.
    I would want a president who:
    Did not vote to invade Iraq back in the day(I'm looking at you Hillary)
    Is for LGBTS+ equality.
    Does not interfere where they have no right to do so internationally.
    Does not threaten other nations with nuclear weapons (again, looking at you Hillary)
    Who is brave enough to admit that what NSA did was very wrong. And please thrown in some Orwellian referenses in that speech.
    Is anti-guns (pro gun control)
    Is pro-choice
    Is admittedly atheist
    Actually gives a damn about the environment.
    Anti death penalty (again, Hillary.. Seriously, get your shit together girl)

#50 Formality, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  11. RemakeJake

I'm not so sure about that one. Guns control laws are extremely tight in places like Sweden, Switzerland, and Spain, and the rate of gun violence is MUUUUUUUUUUUCH lower than that in the U.S.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We need a gay president.

13. RainbowVomiter

14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my main priorities descending, these views would make my perfect candidate:
    - Pro LGBTQ rights, Pro-Choice, and believes in a secular government (an atheist/agnostic/secular humanist/deist would be the best for me, but secular religious people are also okay, just believe in the separation of church and state)
    - Pro gun-control
    - Will protect the civil rights act, not destroy it
    - Believes in increasing taxes on the wealthy and cutting taxes on the middle class and poor. Also believes in a minimum wage increase.
    - Supports the press and human rights
    - Believes in strength through diplomacy, and wants to cut military budget
    - Climate Change believer
    - Believes in funding social welfare programs
    - Pro-Immigration Reform
    - Reforming schools to quit teaching to the test
    - Wants to reinstate Glass-Steagall
    - Rebuild crumbling infrastructure
    - Pro-Union
    - Pro recreational and medical marijuana, and want to decriminalize drug use, sending nonviolent addicts to rehab instead of prison
    - Pro-Campaign Finance Reform

16. iamgroot

Out Status:
    Some people
    I look for ... Elizabeth Warren. Too bad she already said no to president. -cross fingers on VP-

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I honestly believe there are no interesting people in politics these days, so I dont really care. So long as it isnt the likes of romney or someone even worse

18. 21stCenturyH

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't get it why so many USA-citizens want to keep their guns? The more guns, the more people get shot (accidentally, someone gets furious or insane and can't controll himself, or even intentionally murdering someone is far more easy with so many weapons available in the USA). In West-European countries, there are strict rules for having weapons in your possession, and most of the weapons are registered. Everyday in our papers we see: "X people shot in the USA", "Police officer shot black man 'accidentally'", "Kid shoots his classmates in high school"...

This things just don't happen there (or are very very rare). I'm just saying. :icon_wink

Environment IS a good thing to invest in. You can't do anything worng by securing the future, even if you believe that we can hold this planet healthy in the way we are exposing our atmosphere to toxics, hunt rare animals, chop down forests by the thousands. It's a choice to invest wheter in coal-mines, earthfuels,.. or to invest in green and clean energy. Yes, it will cost us our current jobs. But as soon as we have made the switch to this clean energy way of life, many jobs will follow out of this new industry.

19. Manitoban

As a Canadian I want a US President that protects allies but otherwise doesn't poke it's nose where it doesn't belong.

And one that actually upholds nafta instead of trying to impose buy America in Canada and Mexico... Imagine if that happened in the reverse. US citizens would be furious.

Oh also the Canadian north isn't international territory. We've supported you guys in many of your endeavors at least support us on keeping our own territory that we've claimed for over 100 years...

20. QuixoticSJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The best next president is no president at all.

Heteronormativity, patriarchy, androcentrism, racism, gender discrimination, national and global poverty, and more are all socially created constructs indivisible from the societal/economic/governmental structures established with the founding of the nation with the synthesis of the industrial revolution, capitalism, republican government, and colonialism. ALL of these factors are still in play today. Within the system we can massage things, but when a system is defined as one of haves and have nots, there must always be losers, and there will always be hegemonic systems designed to determine, based on arbitrary factors, who those losers should be. Go ahead an pick the least disappointing candidate--I will, but don't imagine that real change will occur. I so hope with each election to be proven wrong.