1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should children be told about LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by blaziken25, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think at a certain age they should be exposed to other things.
    I would think 3rd or 4th grade too soon they won't get it to late they will already be filled with negative opinions.

Like when in school part of world geography we were taught about other cultures and religions. Not pro or con of each one just the facts on what there culture was.

2. itsmary

Should we tell them about straight people?

We MUST tell them about PEOPLE. All kinds. Black, white, asiatic, straight, bisexual, gay, trans...

3. Aquilo

Yes, they are being told about straight people, by having straight parents (most of them), straight family, straight media, straight stories, so they should also be told about LGBT people.

4. absvrdity

absvrdity Guest

I believe that kids should learn about LGBT people. I think it would help avoid confusion, and if they hear about it (peacefully from a parent), they'd learn to grow up accepting people who are LGBT.

5. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with basically everyone. Of course children should know about LGBT people and know that it is ok. This does not mean explaining sex (any type) at an early age. Those issues are hard to figure out. Basically when kids ask you about sexual stuff come up with a TRUE but also age appropriate answer. Most of my preschool kids know that babies grow inside mother's bellies and a doctor takes the baby out. But I had a preschool kid ask me one time where babies came from... sooo I was like um, um, ask your mom. I was noot going to get into that conversation with a parents' child lol. But I plan to be totally truthful and honest with my own children while giving them age appropriate information. Preschoolers also use the term girlfriend and boyfriend which I kind of discourage (they are so young!) sooo they are not too young to know that anyone can love anyone men can love men, women can love women, men can love women, women can love men. Teach them that love is always ok.

6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what we should be telling the kids about? People in general. And LGBT people should be a natural part of that, not something that's forced because a particular point needs to be made of it, but also not ignored or suppressed.

7. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Asking this question in a lgbt forum is rather redundant, isn't it? Unless you are trying to build a case for people who actually listen to reasons

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Wait...

You mean LGBT people aren't urban legends?

9. robotman

I think that they should, the more people learn about it at a younger age the easier it is to accept for them. Don't most people learn about LGBT people from a young age? I remember learning about all this when I was about 10, is the too late or too old?...

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, least they grow up confused and ignorant. My family tried to keep me away from "all that gay stuff" and it just made me feel confused, alone, and guilty.

11. AKTodd

I think that attempting to hide any aspect of existence from children is really rather silly. 'Protecting the children' just makes them unable to cope with the world when they finally encounter it.

Todd

12. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people may have disagreed. I also enjoy reading what others have to say.

13. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They should learn kids that love knows no gender in appropriate ways.

14. antibinary

Not telling them gives the message that they are weird. But they should also be introduced to all orientations on equal terms.

15. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They most definitely should be told be told!
    I was confused as all hell when I was told about LGBT+ people, because my parents had left it so late to tell me that I had already started thinking I was weird or crazy or disgusting for liking girls.
    Kids need to know that other options are open to them early on, in all aspects of life, including job, religions and more than anything else, sexuality.
    If I have kids, they will grow up knowing that they can love whoever they want.

16. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Sexualities other than straight should be taught an unbiased way, the same way they'd hear about straight people. Especially asexuality and bisexuality, so people aren't confused. Gender identity should be taught to kids when they're young. It's not like cis kids too immature, and they'll be scarred for life that people are different than them. I think if there were better representation, there wouldn't be all these "problems" about explaining it t children.

17. David21201

I believe they should. It'd make coming out easier for the LGBTQ+ kids. Naturally I'd only begin educating it around maybe 5th or 6th grade.

We live in a world where yes, there are homosexuals. We need to educate my generation and the ones after so there could possibly be less prejudice. My town could definitely benifit from it.
    I see a problem with it though: The parents of the students and the school board not approving it. That would be a problem.

18. Lyana

No. I'm all for equality, but we have to think of the children. I don't see how it makes sense to encourage kids to doubt themselves and everything that's normal at a stage of their life where they're vulnerable and easily influenced. They'll end up confused and they may even think being LGBT is normal. Besides, they're way too young to understand what being gay means: it's totally immoral to discuss sex with a child that age. And if we do tell them gay people exist, what next? Will people actually start campaigning for decent sex ed in schools?

Also, children shouldn't play Pokemon because it will make them gay.

19. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love sarcasm xD

20. AfraidandAlone

considering i was only about 5 or 6 when i started to question my gender yes children should be told about lgbt. most importantly they should know that it is not wrong, bad, dirty or any thing to be ashamed of if they are lgbt. children are a lot stronger and smarter than people give them credit for. an informed child tends to grow up and turn in to an intelligent thoughtful and informed adult who can actually contribute to society and think for them self. like some one else said they should be taught about people in general. weather it is why people are different colours or worship different gods or why some men like men and some women like women or why some men arnt really men and some women arnt really women and every thing in-between. obviously you dont have to go in to graphic detail but the fastest way to teach the next generation is to make sure every child understands every human being is equal no matter what the colour of their skin, name of their god or sexual preference is.

#60 AfraidandAlone, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015