1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has political correctness gone too far?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemakeJake, Apr 11, 2015.

1. AlienEmpire1524

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is rarely the case. People who complain about political correctness just want a free pass to openly express offensive beliefs, because it's 'within their right'.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The day I can't make fun of the Ku Klux Klan, is the day political correctness has gone too far.

4. Jellal

But Kaiser ... there are people with feelings under those hoods :icon_sad:

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. Manitoban

I don't believe in complete free speech. Some limits are needed to prevent some consequences of total free speech. Eg. Convincing people to book burn or hurt others. In Canada we have a not withstanding clause in our Constitution preventing people like Anne Coulter from speaking hateful things about the Muslims for example.

There is a difference though between actual hate and good fun. The line is blurred and different people see that line in different places and there lies our problem.

Overall, especially politicians, have taken PC talk too seriously though. If it's not hate speech it's probably fine in my opinion.

7. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Wow, I really like how opinions contrast here.

Personally, if you say something that is offensive to me, I will kindly let you know to shut up, no excuses. I'm sick of pretending to be easy-going only to feel hurt inside and actually feeling ashamed of myself because I feel hurt due to a "joke". I have my own triggers and you'd better damn well remember that. And I expect you to point out if something I say something offensive to you, fair's fair.

On the other hand, if you say something potentially offensive, but not to me personally, I will let it slide. It's not my place to speak for other people.

8. Mestaris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt this is an issue with being PC.
    This is just misinterpreting what was said.

However, I do not feel that political correctness has gone too far in any sense. If you really feel as if your opinion is threatened by political correctness then you ought not to have that opinion in the first place, or keep it rather quiet.

9. Gandee

Gandee Guest

But I do think that PC sometimes goes to0 far and cause unnecessary witch-hunts...

10. Mestaris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats not PC though. Once again, thats people themselves objecting, or misinterpreting. For example: I wouldn't consider Christianity to be a hateful religion, but some of the people preaching it are. Is it a case of Christianity going too far? No, but rather someone personally going too far and doing it in the name of Christianity.

11. ZenMusic

I agree completely. This reminds me of the time Raven Symone defended someone calling the First Lady Of The US an Ape. What needs to be done is for the person making the joke to say " I did not intend to be racist, but I understand my joke can be construed that way and I apologize if it was." I'm not sure how thid couldn't be interpreted as racist, but whatever.

12. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I am not sure if we are thinking about the same thing at all...I haven't even said an example to what I would consider PC..
    What I have in mind is this: a gay man wants to define himself as the "female of the relationship"...and here some are totally comfortable with the way he thinks but some accuse him of being sexist and bring out a tirade...that's to me is when there is excessive PC.

13. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely.

14. Foz

Foz Guest

Jeez, another for 'sensitive' people to have their special snowflaking time!

15. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Snowflakes are beautiful, wanna build a snowman on an engine?

16. Mestaris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I meant was that if its a witch hunt and an over reaction, its not PC but rather oversensitivity disguised as PC.
    I do understand that. That is an over reaction, yes, and it is not right. But at the same time, Political Correctness is a bit of a spectrum- one end is nothing done, the other is every move scrutinized. I feel that a few over sensitive people will over react, call PC and so it sullies the basic principle. As a result, there is fall out as people say "PC has gone too far", lose faith in the principle, and it fails to function. Ultimately, If you can sincerely apologise, and didn't mean actual malicious intent with your words (if the comment was perceived as racism, perhaps) then you ought to be fine.

17. Gandee

Gandee Guest

That's why I said "sometimes", nothing is absolute, I understand your point.
    And now I don't even care about "political correctness", the term has sounded somewhat annoying. I just defend my rights to get pissed at stupid jokes :lol:

18. Mestaris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that makes sense :slight_smile: I like dark humour, so y'know.

If no one finds offense, good.
    If those who are offended voice offence, have it dealt with civil-ly, fine.
    If anything else: No.

19. Foz

Foz Guest

No cause it'll melt and wreck the electrics, so that'll be a victory to the PC Stasi! :bang:

20. Gandee

Gandee Guest

That's the point! Almost got you :roflmao: