1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorry if this is too political but: what do you think about the EU and NATO?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Aquilo

No, China was often divided in multiple states, many of those states not identifying as Han Chinese (the major language/'race') at all. The writing system stayed relatively the same though, but I think this is mainly because the Chinese writing systems uses characters which mean concepts (which don't change much over time), compared with the phonetical alphabet that Europe uses (phonetics change a lot over time, see the difference between Latin and Italian/French).

The name China may have stayed, but the identity, language, customs, culture and borders are a lot different than say 2000 years ago.

The name 'Roman Empire' also survived until ~ 1800. Germany called itself the 'Holy Roman Empire' for a long time, even though they were nothing like the Romans ; )

(The Greeks even seriously called themselves and identified themselves as 'Romans' until ~1453, give or take a few hundred years)

2. WearyWanderer

Well, the thing is, Turkey isn't a part of the EU, because of its current human rights abuses. However, certainly you could say that the EU has helped promote a standard for Europe that most European countries try to strive for (with some notable exceptions).

Also, while most of the other members of NATO are also guilty for complying, it is obvious that the US has infinitely more influence in the organization than any of the other members.

Anyway, not really trying to get into a debate. Was just stating my opinion on the matter.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Might be a bit political, good thing you said so!

Okay, opinions. Here I go!

European Capitalist Union - allows too damn much for corporations undercutting national sovereignty and general democracy. BTW, fun fact: The European Union has a President, Donald Tusk, who rules together with some other guys (all men of course).
    I don't believe that the EU serves the interests of the people of Europe, but rather of the US, Germany and big business.
    They do positive things, too, but still I largely consider it illegitimate.

NATO arose as a bulwark against Communism and an ideologically defensive organization. However, as that threat has subsided, they've turned more and more toward being petty imperialists. So, no, I am not supportive of it.

I am not of the opinion that the immediate disconnected abolition of these organization would solve many problems.

4. Aquilo

You're going to 'love' the free trade agreement between the USA and EU (name: TTIP) they're trying to make:

Like health and safety stuff, or the covering up of cigarette boxes with 'don't smoke' messages..

If you actually wish to do anything against it try sending some e-mail/snailmail to people in your national government and to EU elected officials from your country. :icon_wink

5. lemons123

Yeah...I know about the president. He also seems rather dumb, complained that he can't speak english but is "trying to learn hard". Also met with Putin in 2010 to sign some deals between Poland and Russia and today is leading the EU against Putin (imagine how...).

I also agree the EU leadership is largely led by males unless you consider Merkel part of the leadership, but that's just one of the 300+ things they ought to change.

The abolition would not make anything better for the French bankers or the American business, I agree - since they're already too well thanks to the EU. But it may do many positive things for the majority of people currently in those unions...

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Oh, don't get me wrong lemons, I am certainly pro the abolition of the EU! The word "disconnected" in my previous comment is the key :wink:
    And Aquilo, yes, I know all about the TTIP, (and TPP and TISA). It would be the end of the little democracy we cling to.
    However, there is currently only one party in Sweden's government which is openly opposed to TTIP, and they're not exactly big. I do not believe that e-mails would matter much however. I am pessimistic, here, actually, I think it'll come at us, and soon. However, it could possibly be stopped, and if not, later outlawed.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the idea of the EU, though I think the richer countries (especially Germany) need to help out the smaller/poorer countries more and not just with loans laden with unreasonable demands.

I'd also like to see it work to bring about greater economic equality between counties, as well as within them.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Huge differences in value systems make the EU a tough situation. But then, over here in the U.S., there are huge differences in value systems since it's such a vast territory, and we manage to make it work, if you can call it that. If anything, the EU has really lifted the situation of some of the poorer countries in it, who have made some strides forward. I'd bet that some people in the richer countries don't like "subsidizing" them and that some people in the poorer countries didn't want to be involved and preferred to keep their own things, such as their previous currencies.

As for NATO, I don't hear about it as much as I do the UN. We need the UN.

I can say that I do like the Euro. Changing currency with each country visited was no fun at all. Now, you can keep the Euro you didn't spend and use them on the next trip.

If I lived in Europe, I'm sure I'd have stronger opinions and possibly better insight.