1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do Tell If Someone is Gay?!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by andrewuk, Apr 11, 2015.

1. andrewuk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Okay, so as this post title is a bit misleading, I'll start by saying I know you can't possibly tell whether someone is gay or not, but that is also my problem!

Okay, so I don't know if this sounds lame, but I have had a few crushes on guys who work in my local supermarket, I had two crushes for a about a year which I feel really stupid for saying, because I never spoke to them beyond asking where the avocados were, but nevertheless I still had my head turned by them for about a year, and then my hopes were dashed by a search on Facebook and Twitter, revealing they were both straight and had girlfriends. :tears:

The next two are two guys I met yesterday who were working at the checkout, they were training to work in a different branch of the supermarket, and they were really cute and nervous (nerves probably from the new jobs), one was behind the counter and the other was next to me helping me pack.

I chatted to them for as long as possible and they chatted back, but I was with my Mum, so I had to leave, but now I'm just thinking that I don't know what to do because they were so friendly and nice, and easygoing, but I don't even know if they're gay, and if they are how do I know if they even like me, and how do I even get a chance to get to know them?! :help:

I literally have no clue what to do! :tears:

2. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In most "gay" cases, the old idea that opposites attract applies very well. xD
    Don't know why, but gay/bi boys usually fall for straight boys... o.o'
    Of course it's not a -must-, buuuut ... .
    Best thing to do is to hire someone to follow your crush(es) around ... a cheap private detective =O

3. lukeluvznicki13

I've tried to use my gaydar (or do I call it a bidar since I'm bi xD) and apparently mine is broken because I sometimes think people are gay/bi when they are actually far from it.

Just be careful - sometimes flamboyant guys show major signs of being gay/bi meanwhile they aren't at all.

4. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Short answer- You can't. You'll just have to get to know them better. You should also let them know you are gay if it comes up. That way if they're gay or bisexual they will probably tell you.

5. jema

This may sounds really crazy, but you could also ask them. You can't tell who's gay or not unless if its really obvious.

6. BonnieJ2604

I believe that you should probably get to know these males first, asking off the bat could make things awkward and make them feel self conscious. I believe the best thing to do is to get to know them first, go get coffee or something. Hint slightly before asking. I am pansexual myself and wouldn't feel uncomfortable wit being asked but I have many straight male friends who would feel quite insulted. Not that they believe that there is anything wrong with being gay but know they aren't gay themselves
    Good Luck
    -Bonnie <3

7. MsAnchor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not really, unless they strongly insinuate but then i was so dumb i didn't get it when my friend told me she was Ellen degeneres

8. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can't tell, you can assume. Just get to know them, and you will figure it out.

9. robotman

I agree with this. It is very hard to tell is people are gay or not, sometimes they will let of certain signals that will make you think one way but in reality they are another way. You just have to let it happen, I think that it is/will be alot more easier if you are out in the first place. If you are not out I would suggest to take it slower and question them more, you don't want to scare them off or alienate them, especially if you are friends with them...

10. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know, I never fell for straight guys, maybe because in the back of my head they wouldn't go out with me anyways. I guess I fancied them from afar, but it wouldn't go any farther than that.

I've actually fell for guys that were gay/bi in real life because I see potential in them. So with that said, there's no actual way to determine if someone is gay or not. Even with a flamboyant/sassy attitude, it doesn't automatically mean they're gay.

11. sehnsucht

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If I were you, I'd be sneaky and have a friend who's a girl go flirt with them and see if they respond xD If they do, they're straight