Came out to my parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by AnnoNemus, Apr 10, 2015.

1. AnnoNemus

After months of uncertainty, I finally came out to my parents today, as the culmination of a record setting coming out week (I came out to a friend, and to another friend and potential future roommate). It went surprisingly well. I was prepared for anything from complete acceptance to hellfire and brimstone from my catholic mother, and she leaned almost fully toward the former. Actually, she told me that my sister told her quite some time ago that I was probably gay, so she was prepared for it :lol:. At this point I've come out to just about as many people as I care to in person, and I suppose soon it will be time to make some sort of Facebook and/or Twitter post to finalize things. I guess my biggest concern after all this success is how it might impact my future as an educator. My current goal in life is to become a high school music educator, and I'm on track to get my degree in about 3-3.5 years, and I know that it can still be difficult for open LGBT people to work in our nations school system. I won't deny that it has me worried about the future, but I will remain cautiously optimistic.

2. Jolly Roger

That's awesome news, I'm happy for you. And hopefully by the time you get your degree things will be a bit better for LGBT people in the school systems. So what kind of musical program do you want to teach?

3. AnnoNemus

I currently hope to teach High School band.

4. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This makes me sooo happy (,,:!! Congratulations (*hug*)

5. ApexxShadow

So happy for you! Congratulations! :slight_smile:

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good job!

7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    AnnoNemus...Welcome to EC! I just retired two years ago after 41 years as a band director. I always felt that the instant I came out I would lose my job. However, things are changing and, depending where you get a job, it may not be an issue. But you will have to be on your guard all the time to avoid any kind of a situation where you could be accused of coming on to a student. It was a wonderful 41 years, tough but very rewarding. I hope that it all works out for you and you do get to have the job of your dreams!......David

8. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats! And as far as your career goals go, I've had several bisexual, gay, and transgender teachers throughout elementary school, middle school, high school, and college. Your sexual orientation/gender identity should not be a considering factor when choosing your occupation, and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of shit.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    congrats, a hugh week for you. it's a big weight off the shoulders isn't it?

10. BonnieJ2604

(This applies within Australia)
    It is illegal to discriminate against hiring someone especially through the public school system based upon sexual orientation, gender or religion. I believe that even where you are that another educator would hire you based upon expertise and communication skills rather then someone who is straight.
    Do be careful posting online your sexual preference because if you are an anxious person like me you may feel like your boss has seen this and is treating you unfairly because of that when it could be because of something completely different. I have surely made many mistakes doing so and have offended many people and gotten even more off guard.
    I wish you the best of luck and you are so fortunate to have surrounded yourself with supportive people
    -Bonnie<3