Local Chinese restaurant was serving dog meat as food!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MotelGuy, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Gandee

Gandee Guest

^^the smartest and most sensible comment here.

2. timo

A combination of this was what I thought as well. We eat all kinds of meat - we should be more concerned about how the dogs were held, than about the dog meat itself.

I couldn't imagine eating dog meat myself, but that's more of a cultural thing. I mean, I eat pig meat, but there are a lot of people who could never do that because of their culture. I'm not judging.

3. yoonicorn

I appreciate what the message here was supposed to be, but the fact is that people are probably only shocked because it's Rover being kept in poor conditions and not a cow or sheep or pig. This sort of stuff happens at a much larger level with other species, and this is really a bit of an anomaly.

4. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Update:
    The owner of the restaurant said that the dogs were for his own consumption, and not for the customers...I'm pretty sure nobody believes him...Also, they're closing down ALL of the Chinese restaurants in the city in order to investigate them...Sounds a little racist, I guess they thought:
    "If this Chinese restaurant used dog meat as food, then all of them do too! Lets close them down!"

5. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
  6. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep, that's it...Good eye...:thumbsup:

Daily Mail Article: "You can't play with the health of Tijuana."
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Funniest claim I've ever read...

#26 MotelGuy, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, I've heard weirder. Supposedly a restaurant in my area got shut down because of a rumored prostitution ring.

8. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Prostitution ring? That's daily news here in Mexico:roflmao:...But yeah, a more interesting news report would be cannibalism, or necrophilia...But hey, you can't win 'em all...

9. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be open to trying just about any kind of meat. When people class some animals as better and more important than other animals, it seems a bit hypocritical that someone would eat one kind of animal but find the idea of eating another kind of animal repulsive. Society shapes our idea of what is normal and what isn't. I don't find news like this shocking or taboo at all

10. BonnieJ2604

People really can't really judge because unless they are a vegetarian they have no idea how the animal that they eat was treated before death. Most animals are mistreated before killed. So, really most people cannot judge.
    I am a vegetarian by the way.
    Best Wishes
    -Bonnie<3

11. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Seems more cultural and ancestral to me.

Meat is meat is meat. My family has a story where my grandmother was at my mother's wedding, and she said she hated deer. The first meat to come out, they told her it was beef. She ate it and liked it. Then they told her it was deer. She didn't touch it for the rest of the meal.

I'm not vegetarian, and I can never exercise the self control required to be one. What matters more to me about this post is the fact that people are all "OMG NO" when it's about "cute" "fluffy" animals, but when they're eating pigs, sheep, chicken and cow, they don't care. Umm...Google baby farm animals much? I don't eat baby animals for that reason.

Frankly, they were probably dogs raised as food animals. I bet that if people only had a dog with them and no other source of sustenance at all, that most of them would probably eat the dog. Including the people who violently protest that they'd never eat one if they had to.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have a moral aversion to eating dog meat except for that brought on by loving dogs as pets (and I love them something fierce). However, the restaurant shouldn't misrepresent their menu. They know people won't buy if they openly sell it as dog, so instead of upping their game and practicing integrity in business, they went the secretive route. It's good that they got arrested.

13. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't get why some of you say it's hypocritical for people to get upset over this because it was dogs. In western culture, it's been hardwired in our minds that there are some animals that you eat and some you don't, so I don't see any fault with someone being upset or shocked after hearing a story like this.

14. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    While I would never eat dogs, I always think about how eating dog in the west is probably the equivalent of eating beef in India. I suppose different cultures view different meats as okay and not okay to eat. Millions of chickens are kept in small cages for their entire lives, but we eat them on a daily basis. I'm a meat eater, but I don't see why people care so much more over one animal than another.

15. kem

kem

Because the same thing is happening to other species, like cattle, pigs and chicken all the time. I think it's great that people are shocked and repulsed, but what's the point if you're going to keep supporting this horrible system that is basically genocide?
    Just because a certain practice is established doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. Slavery for example. Or apartheid.
    Eating animals is wrong. There is no justification for it.

16. 0VA

0VA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    meat is meat i guess. i cant judge what people in other countries eat.
    i mean dont like it dont eat it lol

the only 2 things concerning me in this thread are the heavy bouts of racism against mexicans (cocaine jokes...really. you wanna joke about drug trafficking) and chinese people and the condition those dogs were kept in.

17. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [​IMG]
    Sorry...If you're a vegan, I respect that, but I don't buy the whole "eating animals is wrong" belief...But like I said, if that's what you believe, then I respect your decision...

18. kem

kem

[​IMG]

The facts are still there.
    You can survive perfectly well without any animal products.
    Animal products contribute a massive amount of carbon emissions and require copious amounts of water and energy compared to a plant-based/vegan diet.
    Not to mention that animals are intelligent beings who have a similar enough capacity for feeling pain and suffering, and we shouldn't mistreat them like we do, let alone eat them.

But you know, do what you want, whatever. I don't respect your opinion but there's not a whole lot I can do so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#38 kem, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to northern Pennsylvania!

20. Ryu

Ryu

who the hell thought this was a good idea? It's not in the slightest bit economical! Buying a live dog would cost waayyyy more than buying a horse meat Beef burger from tesco. They would of failed hygiene tests anyway so their business was kinda screwed from the get go.