Dressing at work

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by smellofseasons, Apr 4, 2015.

1. smellofseasons

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So whenever I wear clothes made for my own gender or super girly clothes I feel like I'm crossdressing. Because I teach and am finishing up my degree it makes me feel like I live a double life. I often do quick changes into polos and male fitting things after leaving my internship. I've heard some very very homophobic things where I'm interning now. I've decided to stay in the closet at the school I just got hired on for. I think its smartest and don't want to be passed up for promotions etc because I'm gay and whatever else. But recently I was out at the store and found some dress shirts (actually in the women's section!) that look and feel good on me! My question is can I wear stuff like this (photo attached) and not have my identity questioned or look super gay? [​IMG]

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2015 at 03:24 PM ----------

Imgur

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2015 at 03:38 PM ----------

I think my long hair helps and I'll wear girly shoes like black ballet flats.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I think that that looks good on you. It does look more feminine, but I think that you could get by with it still. People just may see you as more fem.

3. smellofseasons

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks! I was kinda hoping it was on the edge so it could still be perceived as feminine while I still feel comfortable wearing it and similar things as opposed to pink sweaters and polka dots lolololol. Awesome

4. kristen48

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That looks good on you, no matter what rack you found them on. Dockers, jeans, Oxford shirts and polos work both on female body, or male body... doesn't matter. You are correct, the shoes will make the difference, and the width and type of belt as well. You could get away with boat shoes too.

For me, it's a little tougher, nothing like wearing yoga pants or ladies jeans, which all seem to be form fitting today to announce to the co-workers what's going on.

You are doing well.

5. smellofseasons

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks so much!! I agree it's probably easier to be more gender neutral as a masculine identified individual. Are you able to be yourself at work or not?

6. kristen48

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When I work from home, I can be myself, but in normal daily life, I can't. In my line of work, which involves going to various businesses and meeting others, it would be very problematic.

Where I live, I don't think people are very accepting around here and have had conversations with co-workers that lead me to believe that it would be impossible.

7. smellofseasons

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You're in Cleveland or near it? I'm in cincinnati. Probably somewhat similar attitudes.

8. kristen48

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, Cinci might even be a little more progressive. They only know about TG from what they see on TV or read about in the tabloids. These aren't a good representation.

We don't have as many resources here like some of the other major cities, plus this is a small town, despite the population.

9. smellofseasons

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    [​IMG]

Ok... So I thought this type of outfit was still feminine enough but I wore something similar to Easter and got a bunch of dirty looks and people asking me why I was dressed like a man. So how is this different and is it probably not safe to dress like this at work and stay closeted?

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2015 at 07:10 AM ----------

http://i.imgur.com/GMFbG3J.jpg