1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does everyone have that "One Friend" ?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by whatsupdoc, Apr 4, 2015.

1. whatsupdoc

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey guys,

I need to ask something to everyone, as a community? I have read so many posts on here about that one friend wwho is straight but who flirts / touches / you get that vibe from.

Sometimes I wonder if this is like a right of passage for us all , it seems to happen so often.

My question is, can we come up with a reason for why. This happens. That is, why when you have told your friend your homosexual or they know it then spend the next month / year / decade flirting, giving you what you feel are signals, generally acting in a way that feels more than two friends. However they are straight / like someone of the opposite sex.

Are they cruel or just naïve? Or more frighteningly is it down to us, is everything we think happened just in our heads?

I'm going through something like this right now (see other posts for details) and just can't figure it out.

2. kingdom1830

I think sometimes they are just trying to boost their ego like a superstar.
    If they are straight and know we like them, but doesn't stop the flirting; they are just plainly cruel, trying to play our emotions.

3. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have my own theory on this, but so do loads of other people.

Personally, I think that once you tell them you are interested in their gender, they start to subconsciously treat you how they would someone of the opposite sex in little ways. They'll still act the same as they usually would, and they still see you as the same person, but something subconscious seems to make them want you to have a crush on them.
    Like, when I told my friend that I wasn't attracted to any of the people in our friendship group, she seemed really disappointed, and she said 'I'm not gay or anything, but y'know, it's flattering when someone has a crush on you'

I dunno, that's my thoughts anyway

4. likesboys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with this ......

But I must add, that in some cases , especially if they were flirting with you from the get go.... before you admitted your sexuality, It could be that two people were drawn as friends because of similar sexual preferences ... Whether dormant or not. Birds of a feather flock together ... Coz I honeslty think gayness & bisexuality etc isn't as rare as people make it out to be . People seem to think out of like every 10 people only one is likely to be gay....

But I say... Maybe only one is likely to admit they're gay, or be comfortable , but a lot more of those will have wandering thoughts and have the potential to fall for someone of the same sex. The human Brain has only been conditioned by society to see things so black and white, if it wasn't for the guidelines and boundaries set out for us, I'm sure everybody would be sleeping with... Well everybody lol.

Damn, I can rant. Sorry. Hope I made my point :smilewave

5. whatsupdoc

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks everyone,

That's quite an interesting thought Likesboys, sort of bitter sweet. Perhaps that could be possible in my situation, the words "If you were a woman, we would be at it like rabbits" comes to mind (something he said to me before he knew I was gay).

I suppose the thing I keep coming back to is that we make it up in our heads. We want it to happen so much that we delude ourselves. I'm not sure, that thought scares me somehow?

What are people's views?
    Thanks

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is a right of passage. I think people inherently fall somewhere on a scale of sexuality. Very few are 100 percent straight, and so many exhibit some gay type qualities. Being gay, we might magnify those responses as something more than what they are.

7. likesboys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't like believing too much that we 'delude ourselves' it's a lot of people's 'go to response' ... Your 'imagining it' and it's annoying. It's like give people some credit .

I hardly hear str8 people saying ' your imagining ' it when they believe someone is comin on to them. Yes it's possible lust can cloud somebody's judgement .
    But it seems with gay people, people find it so hard that 'gay' can be so common, or so close to home , they make it almost impossible to believe that a straight person coming on to you may actually be closeted.

It's as if a lot of gays believe they are so rare and so alone in their sexuality , that finding others the same , so close to them is rare . We're no X-men or mutants. Lol

I mean Christ sake I know a family . 3 kids. 2 guys and a girl. They are ALL Gay. It's just people have to give their Brain some credit . And distinguish between evidence that can be distorted by 'lust and imagination' and evidence that is pretty much solid and infront of your face . It's not such a rarity.

I hate being told ' I think everyone is gay' or ' I imagine it' 'it's just coz I want him'

Noooo! I'm not stupid. I study psychology and human behaviour ! I look for everything in clusters and groups and if there is evidence. I present a theory .

So that's my take on it .... Lol

8. whatsupdoc

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. It was just something playing on my mind.

9. likesboys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No I'm not offended at all, sorry if it came out that way.
    I seriously wasn't mad or anything .
    Apologies for my passionate rant , caught up in my own thoughts . Lol

10. Void Puppy

Wow I'm in exactly this situation right now. After I came out he's changed how he acts around me. He's become sorta cuddly, stuff like resting his head in my shoulder, or just getting really close to me. He even would sporadically hold my hand while we walked home after class. I got my hopes up really high and asked him about it. Turns out he hadn't meant to change the way he acted around me, it just sorta happened. He is in fact straight to my knowledge which is a bummer but what can you do.

11. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm guilty of making guys want me even though i'm a lesbian. Sometimes I just act flirty without even thinking. It's like I know there is the potential for them to be into me so I want him to be. I seek approval from people so it could have something to do with that. Having said that though, there is still an equally as strong chance that your friend is more curious than they are willing to admit. Either possibility seems valid.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Not sure about men, but I have straight girls all over me once they find out who I am. I find it quite annoying since many are just playing with my feelings, looking to experiment (when I want something deeper), or just looking to raise their ego.