1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disney Renaissance Era

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WolfyFluff, Apr 3, 2015.

1. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

I didn't know this thing had a name to it, but yeah, what were your favorite disney films from this era of Disney?

From the wiki:

"During this decade, the studio produced and released 10 animated films:

The Little Mermaid (1989)
    The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
    Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    Aladdin (1992)
    The Lion King (1994)
    Pocahontas (1995)
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
    Hercules (1997)
    Mulan (1998)
    Tarzan (1999)"

2. Acm

Acm Guest

The Lion King! I love that movie.

3. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Me too. It was awesome.

4. Lazuri

The Little Mermaid. I was obsessed with the movie when I was little, but I was afraid to tell anybody I liked it because it was so girly.

5. soccergirl16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  6. CrazyAwkward

The Lion King, Aladdin, Mulan, and Pocahontas. I watched those movies to death.

7. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tarzan!!! Amazing story with amazing soundtracks!

8. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When Disney was at it's absolute best! R.I.P. Disney, with the exception of Frozen.

9. TheStormInside

The Lion King is still my favorite Disney movie. When I was a kid I was also pretty obsessed with The Little Mermaid.

10. Rainbow Girl

The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King and Tarzan are some of my all time favourite Disney movies from any era. I also really like Hercules and The Haunchback of Notre Dame. I haven't seen Mulan or Aladdin or Pocahontas in years and I plan on re-watching them as soon as I can so I can form a more "mature" opinion on them, but I recall that Mulan and Aladdin were some of favourites as a kid (don't fully remember my opinion on Pocahontas). On a bit of a side note Tarzan is such an underrated movie, in my opinion.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Aladdin, if we pick just one.

As a kid, I didn't like the Hunchback of Notre Dame that much, but now that I'm older, it definitely has improved. But not enough to be near my top spot.

Mulan is great, too. Definitely second place, of those choices.

The Lion King is fine, but I'm burned out on it. It's probably the animated Disney film I can recall the best, having seen or heard it so much.

The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Pocahontas, are fine films, but never captivated me as a whole. Particular moments and scenes, oh yeah, they kick ass.

Hercules is decent, but doesn't, in my opinion, hold up to it's predecessors (though Hades and I would get along really well, I'd say; but one character cannot always carry a film), with the exception of...

The Rescuers Down Under. Saw it, maybe, twice, and not particularly impressed. Hercules is definitely preferred to it, from these choices.

This leaves Tarzan. Originally, I found it another tolerable Disney film. But... like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, being older now, it's improved in my eyes.

Favorite to Least:
    Aladdin
    Mulan
    The Lion King (ignoring burn out)
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Pocahontas
    Beauty and the Beast
    The Little Mermaid
    Tarzan
    Hercules
    The Rescuers Down Under

12. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

I haven't seen The Little Mermaid and Pocahontas so I can't say much on those two.

I loved watching Aladdin, The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast. Mulan, Rescuers Down Under, Tarzan, and Hunchback of Notre Dame are really close to being my favorites. Hercules is okay to watch and Hades was the best part of it.

I wonder if re-watching them will change that though. Nonetheless, all the movies are still very enjoyable to see.

13. Burnedcloset

I really really liked Mulan as a kid.

I can't seem to remember Disney movies very much. I need to re watch them.

14. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The Rescuers Down Under doesn't really belong there. Yes it fits the timeline of the Renaissance era but no one even remembers it.

The Little Mermaid is my choice by far followed by The Hunchback of Notre Dame then Tarzan. All of them are amazing though.

The Little Mermaid really set the bar for animated films. The attention to detail from the soundtrack to the movement of Ariel's hair is astounding. It was the highest grossing animated film ever by the end of 1989 and set into motion all of the films that followed.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame really blurred the line between an adult and child themed animation. It's the darkest movie that Disney has ever done and the themes transcend a typical feel good Disney movie. It's a close second in my opinion.

After Tarzan Disney had some serious floppage and it's the reason they stopped doing 2D animation. Such a shame.

#14 KyleD, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  15. Lazuri

Funny story about The Little Mermaid: people say it's the last movie Disney made that was completely hand drawn and while this isn't completely true (some parts were CGI animated because Disney were experimenting with it at that point.) pretty much everything is hand drawn. To get Ariel's hair right, they actually filmed a model doing the motions under water to see how her hair would move. And there were so many bubbles to draw that they actually outsourced all the bubbles to china, but the civil unrest in China at the time almost meant the bubbles didn't make it's way to Disney.

16. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know Tarzan was considered the last great Disney movie but I loved The Emperor's New Groove. So. Freaking. Hilarious.

17. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Mulan is my favorite disney movie of all time, although I cannot stand the sequel.

18. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The Lion King was the most epic Disney movie ever. As a second choice, I'd pick Aladdin.
    Haven't seen any Disney movies since The Lion King, so I can't tell you about the rest.

19. CharlD91

CharlD91 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My favourite is definitely the jungle book, closely followed by the fox and the hound... two amazing disney films!!

Saying that I do own the entire disney classics collection on DVD :slight_smile:

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aladdin!

Mulan comes close. A couple of them I never actually watched, or I just remember bits and pieces of.