1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many car accidents have you been in?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Mar 30, 2015.

1. magicalkat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I was in one when I was a little kid nothing major but my favorite thing is to tell people of my own "accident" see I had my license for about 3 months by then and I was at a gas station that was small and had bad spacing and I thought I could get around this car and the cooler that holds the ice so I could get gas at the only open pump, that is how I found out I am bad at determining space... My car got a hole in her bumper and I pushed the cooler up against the building! I think my crying because I fucked up got the gas station people to not charge anything. But ya thats my car accident story :slight_smile:

2. tulman

I've been driving for about 55 years and riding motorcycles about the same although I didn't start owning motorcycles until about 40 years ago. I've logged a little over 200K miles on my own motorcycles. When I was young, wild and stupid I had several accidents and they cost me my driver's license for a while. When I finally wised up accidents were far and few between. In four wheeled vehicles, not counting the early ones, maybe 4 or 5. About the same on motorcycles. Been banged up a little but walked away from all of them.

3. candyjiru

A few... tapped a guy when my breaks failed in my car... hit a deer and totalled my car, was in two more crashes when my friends were driving, and was in a crash in a taxi... @.@

4. Lazuri

Then both my dad and mom are statistical impossibilities, because they've both been driving for 32 years and never been in as much as a fender bender.

I've never been in an accident either.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Don't jinx yourself, Lazuri!

Only one accident is worth mentioning. I could copy and paste, but it's a bit lengthy, so I'll sum it up:

I was being stupid on the highway, was thrown off a curve, and really banged up. It was the closest I've ever come to, I believe, dying.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two. One was a minor reversing accident in a car park, resulting in a cracked number plate and bumper scuff the other was a full impact, in which the bonnet of my car was totally crushed. I consider myself lucky to have walked away from that one.

7. MojoDojo

One was we were driving during a snowstorm on the highway, our driver was both inexperienced and very tired. We hit a section of road that had been cleared - which made it icy - and then lost control and flipped in the ditch. I am lead to believe that we flipped end over end like in a movie. The car looked ok until we took it out of the ditch and it was bent in the middle of the frame. No one was *severely* hurt. More like scratches, bruises, and a lot of freaking out.

The other two were also winter related, losing control on ice and plowing into guard rails. Minor damages in the other two.

8. SonicBoom

I've only been in a minor one and it was my fault to. :tears:

I think the accident happened in 97.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been in 3. In 2 of those I was driving, but the accidents were not my fault. I was rear ended in both accidents where I was driving. I had been stopped for a couple of minutes and I was rear ended in both accidents. The third one was when my friend ditched his car.

10. dirglenerg

Just one. Minor incident where we ran into a kangaroo, well, the kangaroo ran into us specifically, but y'know. The front of the car got all mashed up and there was a pretty thick and dark stream of smoke rising from it, but nobody was really hurt other than the kangaroo who didn't survive through it.

11. Willard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been in five accidents (two car accidents, three motorcycle accidents). Maybe much considering my age, but both me and my family drive much.

I don't think any of them where my fault, as with two of them I wasn't driving, the third one was beyond my control (slippery road) and the last two where someone else's fault. The insurance company declared that officially with both.

I generally have the opinion that accidents with multiple parties are mostly caused by two (or more): someone that makes a mistake, and the other person who doesn't react to that mistake in time. However there are accidents which the second person just cannot avert, like the last one I've been in.

The first one was at least ten years back. My father was driving us (our whole family, including our dog) in our van (Hyundai H100/Grace) during Christmas holiday in the Czech Republic. Bad wheels, small Czech mountain roads and a small layer of glazed frost on these roads eventually ended up in the van just slipping out of control and starting to rotate, hitting a snow covered concrete pillar with the front. The van then rotated further and after a full 360 degree turn came to a stand still in the middle of the road. Luckily that concrete pillar was there, as we otherwise would've fallen about 5 to 10 meters into the Elbe river. A patrol car was driving in front of us, they stopped when the accident happened, but drove away when they saw we all stepped out of the van. Nobody got hurt, but our dog was afraid to get in any car the next couple of weeks. And although the van was declared a total loss it was possible to drive the remainder of the Christmas holiday, including the trip of about 900 kilometers back to the Netherlands. I still miss that van, especially because we now have a shitty VW T4 that has all kinds of defects and problems all the time.

The second one is about nine years ago. Again the whole family on holiday, but this time in Germany in the summer and with motorcycles: My dad driving his motorcycle with sidecar (and a little trailer), my sister with the dog in the sidecar, my little brother as a passenger on my dads motorcycle and I was a passenger on my mothers motorcycle. there was a traffic jam, caused by road works and a highway crossing. So my father had to brake suddenly and my mother had to avoid hitting the trailer. So she steered to the left and we hit the side of a (then) brand new Toyota that was driving on that lane. My mother managed to keep the motorcycle up, despite the handle bar making a huge scratch from the headlight to the taillight on that brand new Toyota. Luckily no one was hurt and my dad could repair the motorcycle and buy a new saddlebag as there was a Louis store (motorcycle parts, clothes, etc.) at the next exit.

The third one is the first one where I was a driver. I was driving home in the morning from a weekend of watching WSB (World Superbike) live on the Assen track. I was driving on my motorcycle and was going home (150 kilometers), to get my classic car to attend a meeting about 150 kilometers away in another direction. Almost home I get off the highway and turn onto a rural road. While accelerating gently out of the corner my back tire suddenly loses grip and before I know what is happening I am sliding across the road on the side of my motorcycle. Somehow I had nothing (not even a bruise) and my gear (helmet, suit, boots and gloves) didn't have any scratches of damages. My motorcycle didn't end up so good, but I could drive home. When I got home I realized there had to be something like oil on the road, because otherwise I would've never lost grip there. So on my way to that meeting with my classic car I stopped at the place I had the accident less than 30 minutes before and I went looking for anything unusual. I didn't find anything except for the end of my brake lever, which I still have lying in the glovebox of my car. That evening I heard that one of my best friends almost had an accident with his car the evening before because his front tires lost grip on the exact same spot. So despite the fact that I didn't find anything unusual there, the road must have been slippery in that corner.

The next one is with the same motorcycle at the same intersection (from a different direction) more than a year later: I already had a bad day, it was rainy and I was 20 minutes on the train ride to school when they didn't went further because of an accident ahead. I thought: "I'll take the train back home, get on my motorcycle and maybe I am still in time for the first class". So after a 20 minutes train ride back home I changed into my motorcycle gear. I had to fill the gas, because the tank was almost empty. So I drove to the gas station in the next town, filled up the tank and drove to the highway. I had to wait for a red light before I could take the last turn to get on the highway. I was waiting on the left lane to get left at the next junction and turn up the highway, a car came on the right lane and stopped just half a car length in front of me. So while we where both standing in front of the red light I was actually in his blind spot. When we got a green light we both drove away and suddenly he switched lanes. I couldn't avoid him because another car came from the opposite way, so the only thing I could do was reach for the horn and try to brake as fast as possible. I couldn't reach the horn in time and I ended up falling down with my motorcycle because I had to brake as hard as possible on a wet road. I only ended up with a few bruises and again not even a scratch on my gear, but my motorcycle was totalled (broken clip-on, many of the plastic bodywork damaged, leaking coolant, etc.) and I still didn't get to school. Luckily the driver of that car stopped and turned around to help me and eventually fill in the insurance papers. It turned out there was a rubber stain of my front wheel on the corner of his rear bumper, so if I didn't brake that much I would've probably ended up under that car (or the oncoming car). After I got money from the insurance it took me about a year to repair the motorcycle. But until now she is still going strong, despite both accidents.

The last car accident I've been in was with the classic car I mentioned earlier. At that time I only had that classic car and the motorcycle, so despite cherishing that car very much I had to use the car or the motorcycle every time I had to go to school (short after that I bought a daily driver). One day I was driving from home to school. There is a rather large highway overpass that I have to take to get to school. It has multiple lanes and is most of the times busy with cars and trucks because it is in the Rotterdam harbor. I stopped in the line on the middle lane for a red traffic light. Suddenly, while still waiting for that traffic light I feel the back end of my car getting pushed up. I turn my head and look directly into the headlight of a large truck that is trying to change lanes. And that truck just kept on pushing against the rear side of my car until I step out and wave at him. It appeared the driver thought the place on the road was clear as the cars that came behind me just switched to the right lane. And as my car is rather low, he didn't see my car. The car was declared total loss (which was a bit excessive if you ask my opinion), but I managed to get the car repaired very nicely for the money I got from the insurance. She is still my pride and joy and I cherish that car more than ever.

12. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ive been suspended from driving. thats is all

13. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in a serious car accident on 6 January 2009. My car was a total write-off but I got lucky. I walked away with bruises from the seat belt, and just a broken finger. The other person didn't get hurt.

I was in a minor accident on 14 May 2014. The insurance wanted to write my car off, as the damage to it was (apparently) more than my car is worth. I said I wanted to keep my car and have it repaired myself. They refused to keep it on the insurance though. My car has to go through a road worthy test first before they'd insure it again.

The only other "accident" I've been in was when I was about 16/17. My parents were taking me to my then boyfriend's house to visit. We were waiting at an intersection for the cars to pass so we can go. The guy in front of us, however, grew impatient and he drove off. A large truck hit his car and it (the car) spun around and hit my mom's car. It wasn't too serious, but the car had some damage to it. Was still driveable though.

So yeah, I've been in three motor vehicle accidents, one as a passenger and two as the driver.

Not a very good track record at all.

14. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

7 accidents

1 - slide my vw bug on salt and tapped the car in front of me
    2 - slide on ice on an on ramp and dented a fender a bit
    3 - Was passenger in Jeep that rolled doing 65 MPH on the highway. Neither of us had a scratch, Jeeps windshield was dented in the middle to about 6 inches. Jeep was totaled.
    4 - Layed down my first bike going through an intersection, front wheel hit some unseen gravel. Got by with just a tad of road rash, a ripped motorcycle jacket, and scuffed helmet.
    5 - Skidded on ice across the road in a Lincoln SUV, missed the telephone box, and telephone pole.
    6 - Layed down my second bike when I hit a racoon. No scratches, though it hurt so bad I went to the hospital to get checked out.
    7 - A driver pulled in front of me from a stop, crashed my Mazda into it, airbag went off, missed telephone pole, ended up about 40 feet in a farmers field. Mild concussion, Mazda totalled.

After #3 I have always felt that God had a mission for me...

15. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One. I was slowing down to make a right turn and a bicyclist hit the back of my car. He claimed I cut him off. I had to defend myself at a hearing. In the end, I just had to re-take the driving test.

16. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been in none

17. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my answer above I only counted the ones with other cars (since I haven't hit a tree or fence or anything like that). My friend hit a deer while I was in the truck, so that's one more.

18. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    0 and I hope to keep it that way. The closest thing to an accident was accidentally skidding on a roundabout. It reminds me of this advert in a magazine that says "Remember you are not playing Gran Turismo!"

19. Joelouis

I rolled my first car but wasn't hurt at all.
    The second, I was waiting at a round-about when the driver in front drove off, I looked and the coast was clear so I went....but the car that I thought drove off had stopped and I went into the back. A bit of an argument but it was my fault.

The third, I'd stopped at a queue of traffic but the guy behind went straight into me. Ouch! That one hurt a bit.

Fourth, a lady pulled out of her driveway and I went straight into her. No injuries to anyone.