1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes someone gay?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by badger, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why am I gay? Because I'm lucky.

Hopefully, you'll get to the point of believing that, too. :slight_smile:

Lex

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    perfect, i love it.(!):eusa_danc

3. Rapha Lover

I believe in a something inside of person! It's not question about ''turn gay'' but born in this nature! When born gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc will be in this way! Earlier or later, the individual discover your true sexual orientation.

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

maybe some day they'll understand the mechanics about every detail of who we are and how we got there, but I think that what is important is just to understand that being gay is as much a part of who I am as being right handed is. And the one thing that I am sure of is that nobody nor no experience "made" me gay. When I was a kid, the nuns still tried to force left handed kids to learn to right with their right hand. But they couldn't make them right handed any more than they could have made me straight, or gay for that matter.

5. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Snork!

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

the underlined, i love this! this is my argument for anyone who says they can take the gay away and make you like everyone else. i wasn't educated by nuns, thank God, but i do remember the older people especially, telling left handed people to use their right hands because the devil uses your left hand. silly superstition but it really is an alligory to our lives.

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

My guess...

Every successful adaptation of human evolution is stored in DNA just waiting for the proper queue to be brought forth.

8. Sam I Am

At around five weeks of age, the human fetus has no sex. It has ambiguous genitalia and gonads, and both male and female ductwork. Then, depending on if it has a Y chromosome or a second X chromosome, different genetic cascades will cause the gonads to differentiate as either ovaries or testes. They begin pumping out hormones, and the hormones cause the ductwork, genitalia, and brain to develop into either male or female.

There are all kinds of cool and wonderful ways that a wrench can get thrown into this process. For example, in Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (CAIS), an XY person is born without any androgen receptors, so even though there's androgen being produced by their testes, the androgen has no receptors to bond to. The result is that the person develops as physiologically female (minus the female ductwork, including uterus). CAIS folks usually identify as heterosexual females.

Or there's 5-alpha-reductase deficiency syndrome, in which the person is also chromosomally XY, but lacks the enzyme that coverts testosterone to the 10x-stronger androgen DHT. Normally, DHT masculinizes the external genitalia in the fetus. Without it, the person is born with female-like external genitalia, but male internal ductwork. At puberty, testosterone levels rise high enough to activate the receptors sufficiently, and the genitalia enlarge and adopt a more male-like appearance. 5-alpha-reductase individuals usually identify as heterosexual males as adults, but generally don't appear to have any problems with being raised as girls. The book Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides is about this condition.

Then there's gonad mosaicism, in which a person of any chromosomal makeup has some male and some female cells in their gonads. These folks can sexually differentiate in any number of ways.

The take-home message is that sex has both genetic and hormonal-in-the-womb underpinnings, and that you can get pretty much any combination of external genitalia, internal genitalia, ductwork, gonads, sexual orientation in the brain, and sexual identity in the brain depending on how this highly, highly complex process of differentiation happens.

9. Deadsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What makes a person gay most likely has to do with alleles in genes being altered but that is the simplest response I can offer on this subject. I am majoring in biology but my AP class is not touching on such a controversial topic to speak of at the high school level in this area of the country.

10. Stripe101

Soylent Green

11. user199

user199 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    no one knows for sure...

12. flatlander48

What makes you assume that you are worth watching?

Back to the question...

Whatever circumstances come together that makes people gay (DNA, environment or some amalgam thereof), I believe it is something over which we have no control. The only choice is whether you live with your life and feelings aligned or you live the lie. The homophobes would much rather that you live the lie. Basically that says all you need to know about them...

13. MisterTinkles

It's not what happened to US......it's what happened to THEM.

What makes anyone blonde, brunette, or redhead?
    What makes me better at art than you?
    What makes someone else better at math than me?
    What makes me tall and you short?
    What makes me love cats and someone else to hate them?
    What makes me love chili and someone else to hate it?
    What makes me hate having birthdays and someone loves them?
    What makes me use my brain as much as I can, while others only use their brains for basic funcitons (breathing, eating, walking...)?????

14. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not, but I do know that anybody who visits a site belonging to a hate group like that is automatically logged on a list somewhere. They're like the WBC or the KKK or Stormfront (WND, I mean.).

15. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    With respect, I don't think there is any 'explanation' that can be proven regarding this. You either like guys or you don't, just like some folks like, say, floral fragrances, and some prefer fruity ones. There is no explanation for that, it's just personal preference, and I believe that attraction to the same sex is similarly not able to be 'explained'. In any case, who cares about some 'reason' for it; if it feels good and does no harm to anyone, who cares about 'how' you ended up that way? :slight_smile:

16. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    son, if you have any kind of digital footprint at all; you're probably on someone's list somewhere. we all are...:smilewave

17. scub

it's mother natures way of keeping humans from over breeding. imagine if there weren't gay people? ;-)

18. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    it's complicated

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2015 at 09:23 PM ----------

and I believe it's different for each person so general rules are useless.

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2015 at 09:24 PM ----------

Some biological components, variations of hormones during certain fetal periods,....

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2015 at 09:26 PM ----------

and everyone's sexuality identity and personal map of how to navigate their sexuality is determined also by thousand of experiences within the complex social web of our culture, society, family, friends, etc also shape how we are sexually in conjunction with the biological contribution

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2015 at 09:28 PM ----------

and there is thus intense diversity within groups dally themselves gay,homosexual, Lesbian, lgbt, queer, etc.

19. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Some people try to link breastfeeding and homosexuality and it's really depressing.

20. Wildside

Wildside Guest

but it is NOT a "defective" gene issue. being gay is not being defective, any more than having blue eyes or black hair is the result of a "defective" gene.