1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much has LGBT phobia from religion, the media, and society affect you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SonicBoom, Mar 23, 2015.

?

How much has LGBT phobia from religion, the media, and society affect you?

1. A LOT

26.4%
  2. A FAIR amount

35.8%
  3. A LITTLE

24.5%
  4. None at all.

13.2%
  1. tulman

None at all. I'm not out so maybe that puts an asterisk next to my choice but I don't give a rat's ass what the general public thinks about most subjects.

2. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A fair amount. Even though the denomination that I was a part of is some what accepting I made the mistake of attending a youth group that wasn't

3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    golgari, responding to your comment. Remember Frontline program I suggested to you. Basically there are a ton of gay priests at the Vatican and within the priesthood in general. Actually I've read in psychology articles about people who have phobias and strike out against said phobias. Example: people who bash LGBT people who in turn go to bead with the same sex. (this happens all the time.)

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2015 at 09:21 AM ----------

Responding to the question: How much has LGBT phobia from religion, the media, and society affect you?

A lot. I didn't know LGBT behavior existed when growing up. I was only told via church, parents, sibling, music, media, society, jokes that I had to find a girl - I'm male. I didn't have or know a vocabulary for gay world. You cant talk about your feelings if you do not have words for what you want to talk about.

Later in life when I stated to connect dots and exhibit gay behavior I was beaten up. I was spit upon. I was ridiculed.

I remember vividly the day Matthew Sheppard was found dead tied to a barbwire fence and left to die in the cold Wyoming night. I said to myself, "see what being gay gets ya."

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Religious phobia never bothered me much. It more so bothers me when the discrimination against us is due to sexism since It's so ingrained.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly my feelings. Enough said!

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I could care less.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It pisses me off. Is that an effect? :slight_smile:

Lex

8. MurderMystery

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A fair amount has. The thing is that with religion my parents are very religious. Being already very distant due to being out shown my younger and older siblings, they've decided to shut me out and now I'm somewhat alone. Coming out to them has been very hard considering i wasn't the one to do it.

For media and society it doesn't exactly bother me. I just disregard it as not important. Seeing it is bothersome but it doesn't effecr me emotionally or anything.

9. Rainbows~Exist

I think I'll just say a little. It doesn't upset me as such, it just makes me feel disappointed in humanity...

10. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Yes, society has quite affected me. Our country isn't religious but that doesn't stop people from being homophobic. And I've never conformed to gender role so I was often ridiculed and I slowly built a shell around me. Now I am trying to take the shell off.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Religion has never been direct, as it tends to be a contributing factor on a grander scale. I suppose you could say, there is a Southern Baptist default mindset here, and anybody that knows about them, well, you know how tediously petty they can be. But even those who aren't dedicated church-goers, also default to that Judeo-Christian mentality.

The media is back and forth. It doesn't really have a direct role, but it too, like religion, is more of a grand scale problem. They're just mouthpieces for whoever pays them, really.

Society does have some impact. My family are tolerant of me, as it stands now. If I came out to them, they would still tolerate me, but they wouldn't help me. However, they wouldn't make it pressingly difficult either, as in running me out of town. At least keeping this information to myself, makes it easier. It's a rather... perplexing situation, but it could be worse. My family could actually want to be heavily involved in my life, pressuring me to be more open. Their distance makes life a little less bumpy.

I'll take my blessings when and how I can.

12. WearyWanderer

A little, but nowhere near as much as many people. The most LGBT-phobia I hear about is from Fox News.

13. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Society - a fair amount.
    Religion - not at all, and I grew up in a Catholic household. I never really bought into it though. The threat of hell really doesn't scare an atheist. haha.