1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any gender legal issues in regards to getting a name change?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PlantSoul, Mar 23, 2015.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that if you want to get any gender surgery that you have to go through the whole rigamonroe of seeing gender therapists, and god knows what else, to see if you're mentally sound but, what about if you just want to get a name change?

I've come to realise, that while I like my birth name (my first name only), it no longer accurately represents who I am as a person. I want to get my whole name changed to the name I chose for myself.

My current first name is unisex, though traditionally considered to be male, and my chosen first name is also traditionally considered to be male, though it is considered to be unisex by some. My chosen name has no middle name and my current one is female.

Would any of this cause a problem if I were to change my name? I can't change it any time soon so, this is all for future reference. Thanks.

2. Outlier

Nope. Anyone can change their name to whatever they want (as long as you're not doing it for criminal reasons).

Also, about the surgery stuff, it's not like it used to be. You DO usually need a letter from a phycologist, but the mentally sound thing isn't true. They only worry that you are completely informed about what you are doing. If it's something you really want and the only thing that's holding you back are the hoops, I'd encourage you to look into it a little more. It's really not that bad and getting better all the time.

3. ffxii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As far as I'm aware there are tons of names that are unisex and therefor you can change your name to whatever you want. :slight_smile:

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Getting your gender marker changed will vary from place to place. In the US, you need some sort of proof of surgery in most states. Specifically what can vary, as I've heard people getting it done without something super big. In at least one, gender marker can be changed upon request. With IDs and driver's licenses, some states will allow you to change your marker with a simple letter from your therapist/social worker/case worker/doctor.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The gender marker varies place to place. In Ohio, I just had to have a letter from my therapist saying that I was going to live as male. I will never be able to change my birth certificate though, since Ohio does not allow that to be changed. I had a letter from my therapist for my name change just so it provided more evidence that I was not changing my name to avoid things.

6. stormborn

there's a published record of name changes where i live that sometimes i look at when im bored and literally 4 people have changed their name to James Bond in the past 3 months so you should be fine on that front

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, depending on where you are, I've been told you can avoid publishing your name to the papers for your safety, but I don't know how one goes about doing that.