1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"A baby needs both a mother & father in its life" How do you feel when you hear this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemakeJake, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: "A baby needs both a mother & father in its life" How do you feel when you hear t

I don't think I could ever be as great of a dad as my own, but if I marry and have my own child, I want to be the greatest dad I can be, regardless of my gender.

2. ChameleonSoul

Re: "A baby needs both a mother & father in its life" How do you feel when you hear t

I was raised by my mother formost of my life since my father left when I was very young. Yes I may be gay but I don't feel that lacking a "father figure" did anything to change my sexual orientation or did anything to negatively impact my childhood.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

People can claim that a baby needs both a mother and a father, but they can't ever seem to back up that claim with logical evidence.

There are many kids with same-sex parents who are very well off in life. Two men or two women are perfectly capable of taking care of a child.

4. tulipinacup

This is what pisses me off. Instead of having fear that these children will get made fun of by their peers, why don't YOU teach your children to be nice to other people?

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Do you say this because you know some children for whom this is true, or because of a kind of personal bias...or just because you don't know and consider it possible (which reflects a bias of its own)?

I've known many children raised by same-sex parents. They tend to have extraordinarily robust coping skills against bullying...and from what I've seen/heard, they find that they rarely need them. Because they are outspoken, loving advocates of their parents, they are not as likely to come off as "easy targets" for bullying peers.

If a bully is going to bully someone, he doesn't need an excuse like same-sex parents. A bully will target a person because they seem vulnerable, and he does it because of *himself*, not because of some quality of his target.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

"Go to hell you Christian wacko."

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Anyone with the right attitude and enough time/resources can be a good parent. You don't need even two parents as shown by countless single parent households.

8. PurpleGrey

Two same-gendered parents sure beats an absent parent, an abusive parent, or any kind of parent that drastically impairs the child's chances of successful adulthood. The issue comes down to people going, "my ideal is better than your ideal." As long as the child is likely to become a well-adjusted adult, and is treated well, people have no business criticizing any situation.

9. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people

Guys >.<

I wasn't suggesting that that was a legitimate reason to not allow same-sex parents, I was just saying that could be an unfortunate consequence, like that article someone posted about the woman raised by two mothers who later resented them for it. I'm just saying sometimes that happens, I'm not saying that it means same-sex relationships are bad.

10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

A baby needs love in its life; it doesn't really matter where that comes from. I think there are potentially some advantages to having a parent of each sex when it comes to discussing sex, relationships, etc. (although that did nothing for me), but any benefits beyond that are simply a result of society being less accepting of same-sex couples.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Parenting is between two men and one woman, says the Good Book. After all, this is the winning formula for raising Jesus Christ.

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It always eludes me why there "needs" to be both, as if males and females were so completely different, it's almost as though they're alien to each other. Like, what's the difference? What memo did I not get?

What does a "mother figure" have that a male can't do, and vice versa?

13. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family

I roll my eyes at it. :rolle:

I had both and somehow didn't, but I turned out just okay.
    unfortunately, same-sex couples aren't allowed to adopt in my country...

14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I never took your words to mean you thought same-sex relationships were bad.

And thank you for answering my question: you have at least one example in mind. I didn't see that post.

I'm sure all kinds of stuff happens...and I suppose by that measure, it's unfortunate when kids raised by hetero couples resent *their* parents for legitimate reasons. But I don't believe the situation you raise happens nearly as often as kids raised by hetero couples resenting their parents for legitimate reasons. *Perhaps* in percentage...but certainly not in numbers.

15. ANewDawn

So widows, widowers, and divorcees should have their children taken away? Children need parents who won't take them for granted - that automatically applies to almost all gay couples.

16. MisterTinkles

This from people who ignore their kids, beat their kids, abuse their kids, or just treat their kids indifferently and not really acknowledging their existence...........and get divorced at the first sign of an argument.

There are just as many single parent households as there are "married" ones.

I would think things go easier with two parents instead of one, no matter what their sex organs are.

17. AlexTheGrey

Honestly, I get angry at it. In part because I think of things like children who need good homes, and couples who are willing to provide those homes, but are rejected because of being homosexual.

This sort of attitude on some level harms children, it doesn't help them. As a society, we still seem more afraid of "the gays", than of children growing up in no home.